+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: UPDATED: Reading issue statement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: UPDATED: Reading issue statement

When the Wales on Sunday post "Fans in Racist Chant Storm" on its front page you imagine all sorts.
    Reading FC's statement was well written, explained what happened and has said sorry to the 99.9% of us who didn't have a scooby what the tannoy message was played for. Apology accepted and move on.
    My back is up with the media (especially the WoL) who have basically said we a bunch of racist thugs. Will we receive an apology from them?

Re: UPDATED: Reading issue statement

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    When the Wales on Sunday post "Fans in Racist Chant Storm" on its front page you imagine all sorts.
    Reading FC's statement was well written, explained what happened and has said sorry to the 99.9% of us who didn't have a scooby what the tannoy message was played for. Apology accepted and move on.
    My back is up with the media (especially the WoL) who have basically said we a bunch of racist thugs. Will we receive an apology from them?
    I don't agree the Reading statement was well written. It dodges and blurs the core allegations again. There are 2 issues - one is whether Cardiff fans were racist/homophobic; the other is whether the stadium announcement tarred all away fans for the actions of a handful of wronguns (leaving aside what Reading fans were chanting without any censure or sanction). The Reading statement is OK on the second point but not the first. If the complaints/allegations were about one side of an anti-Welsh and anti-English exchange - however pathetic and puerile - that should not be described as it was, and as the media then reported. I understand Organ Morgan's explanation of the wording and scope of the Act, but if Ken Choo is right Reading have misrepresented what happened and have not retracted in their statement. The mud was thrown. The mud has stuck!