+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UPDATED: Reading issue statement

Re: City demand apology ...

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    The match at Reading on Saturday is the start of bad blood between the clubs which will endure for a while.
    Bet our lot will shit their pants at the thought of reading shouting nasty songs and them before the game Friday.

I agree. They all say "Hi, can I get a..." when ordering a drink.

Probably a girly drink like Koppaberg 'an all!
    Sexism is still an issue though I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Don’t want to say too much, but I’ve spoken to one and what they were accused of saying wasn’t racist unless you see English as a race.

Strange thing is that Reading fans were singing similar anti- Welsh songs and there was no action taken on them. So if this behaviour is racist then then
    to only take action against the Welsh fans appears to be racist in itself as Reading ( and TVP) are clearly happy to condone anti- Welsh chants , but not anti- English ones ( not forgetting we are the minority here too )

Personally I’m not into it. I like England, lived there for 6 happy years, married an English girl and love her English family ,some of whom followed her to Wales and love it here..but the chants from either side really shouldn’t bother anyone that much that it requires an arrest.
    It's not what I believe counts as racist but what the police, Crown Prosecution Service and courts determine. The links below I posted in another thread today.

A Welsh woman has been made to pay compensation for using a racist slur against an English woman after calling her "an English cow".

More: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...sh-insult.html

Man fined for racism after calling Welsh people 'sheep s******s - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...s-8594480.html

Councillor fined £750 for calling Welshman 'boyo' - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...o-8689295.html

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    It's not what I believe counts as racist but what the police, Crown Prosecution Service and courts determine. The links below I posted in another thread today.

A Welsh woman has been made to pay compensation for using a racist slur against an English woman after calling her "an English cow".

More: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...sh-insult.html

Man fined for racism after calling Welsh people 'sheep s******s - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...s-8594480.html

Councillor fined £750 for calling Welshman 'boyo' - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...o-8689295.html
    Not going to read these now , but see my other post above regarding the one sided use of the rule if in fact the authorities there do think that anti- English is racist.

Are those Cardiff fans who dislike Swansea allowed to express that any longer....or is it a case of... you can have rivalries but you’ve got to be polite about it... Grangetown Blue will be in turmoil 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Not going to read these now , but see my other post above regarding the one sided use of the rule if in fact the authorities there do think that anti- English is racist.
    The saga at the weekend was ludicrous but I hope this will not lead to even more anti English chants from our lot. Can’t we concentrate the support towards our team. Is it impossible for our loons to do this? The fans should not have been arrested but they need a serious look in the mirror for being such knobs.

Two isolated incidents of discriminatory abuse in the South Stand were reported to our Safety Officer in the Control Room during the first half of our FA Cup Fourth Round match against Cardiff City on Saturday afternoon.

As a result of a statement taken by the police that afternoon, it was deemed there was sufficient evidence to arrest four Cardiff City supporters for alleged racist chanting under the Football Spectators Act. To justify any arrest, there needs to be reasonable grounds.

The four individuals have all since been interviewed and released under investigation. These alleged incidents continue to be fully investigated by the Thames Valley Police and we will continue to assist the authorities with these investigations.

No further reports of discriminatory behaviour were received during the course of the tie.

As indicated on the day of the game, these incidents were isolated, restricted to a small number of individuals and affected only a minority of supporters attending the match. There was certainly no intention to tarnish the reputation of the travelling support on the day, Cardiff City Football Club nor its fanbase in general, who in the overwhelming majority behaved impeccably at the weekend.

We would like to apologise to all supporters of Cardiff City Football Club who played no part in any discriminatory abuse and feel that their character has been blemished unwarrantedly by the announcement which was made over the PA system at Madejski Stadium. Reading Football Club are liaising with the relevant football authorities to consider how football-wide protocol issued to us was implemented in this instance and we will review our procedure regarding public matchday announcements of this nature accordingly.

However, at both Reading Football Club and Cardiff City Football Club, we remain committed to ensuring that the matchday environment provides a positive experience for all.

Discrimination of any form is not ok and all supporters who visit Madejski Stadium are reminded that instances of discriminatory behaviour will not be tolerated.

No further comment can be made by Reading Football Club or Thames Valley Police at this stage so not to compromise the ongoing investigation.

Re: UPDATED: Reading issue statement

Wonder how many reports they'll receive off us Friday 😂

Bloody Thomas valley police

Quote Originally Posted by soulsurfer3 View Post
    I didn`t realise they had a history of this type of false accusation and paranoia , blimey talk about being on guard, they must be expecting Liz and Phil at every home game.
    If Prince Phillip had been there, he'd have been complaining about a lack of racism.

On a separate note, my chance of appearing in the next honours' list has just got slimmer.

Margaret Thatcher has complained about the number of unemployed black people

She feels there aren't enough

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Sexism is still an issue though I see.
    Absolutely. You never see Reading fans have the same manly drink as me (Port & Lemon, G&T etc).

When the Wales on Sunday post "Fans in Racist Chant Storm" on its front page you imagine all sorts.
    Reading FC's statement was well written, explained what happened and has said sorry to the 99.9% of us who didn't have a scooby what the tannoy message was played for. Apology accepted and move on.
    My back is up with the media (especially the WoL) who have basically said we a bunch of racist thugs. Will we receive an apology from them?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Friday should be interesting but as they'll probably bring about 33 people it wont be that tense between the fans. I imagine our away game there next season will be a sell out for us, let ourselves be heard for the full 90 instead of being falsely embarrassed into silence by the weasels.
    That's what surprised me most. I didn't think the announcement would make any difference but WE were embarrassed into silence. Didn't think us big hard City fans would be affected but it's obviously all a front!

It would be interesting to know if there is legal precedent regarding spectator behaviour at a football match between two nations where supporters of one nation have been prosecuted for chants directed against supporters of the other nation where those chants were based solely on nationality.

The match at Reading on Saturday is the start of bad blood between the clubs which will endure for a while.
    Quite right. Another one to add to the list. Jacks, Wurzels, Leeds, any of the top Prem clubs. Sure there are others I'm missing. We should have list printed on the back of our ST's..

I haven't read everything on this matter and never bother with WOL unless it's something that has been copied here, but didn't WOL remove the following sentence from the club statement:

We are also very disturbed and concerned with some of the subsequent press and media reporting on this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    When the Wales on Sunday post "Fans in Racist Chant Storm" on its front page you imagine all sorts.
    Reading FC's statement was well written, explained what happened and has said sorry to the 99.9% of us who didn't have a scooby what the tannoy message was played for. Apology accepted and move on.
    My back is up with the media (especially the WoL) who have basically said we a bunch of racist thugs. Will we receive an apology from them?
    I don't agree the Reading statement was well written. It dodges and blurs the core allegations again. There are 2 issues - one is whether Cardiff fans were racist/homophobic; the other is whether the stadium announcement tarred all away fans for the actions of a handful of wronguns (leaving aside what Reading fans were chanting without any censure or sanction). The Reading statement is OK on the second point but not the first. If the complaints/allegations were about one side of an anti-Welsh and anti-English exchange - however pathetic and puerile - that should not be described as it was, and as the media then reported. I understand Organ Morgan's explanation of the wording and scope of the Act, but if Ken Choo is right Reading have misrepresented what happened and have not retracted in their statement. The mud was thrown. The mud has stuck!

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Jacks, Wurzels, Leeds
    DIFFERENT LEAGUE END OF.

Reading it'll dissipate quickly if handled well. Cast you mind back a few years when Wolves were enemy #1 & they banned us. Barely a murmur at recent meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Margaret Thatcher has complained about the number of unemployed black people

She feels there aren't enough
    Margaret Thatcher has passed .
    Bless her
    Shouldn’t this be in the past tense ?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Two isolated incidents of discriminatory abuse in the South Stand were reported to our Safety Officer in the Control Room during the first half of our FA Cup Fourth Round match against Cardiff City on Saturday afternoon.

As a result of a statement taken by the police that afternoon, it was deemed there was sufficient evidence to arrest four Cardiff City supporters for alleged racist chanting under the Football Spectators Act. To justify any arrest, there needs to be reasonable grounds.

The four individuals have all since been interviewed and released under investigation. These alleged incidents continue to be fully investigated by the Thames Valley Police and we will continue to assist the authorities with these investigations.

No further reports of discriminatory behaviour were received during the course of the tie.

As indicated on the day of the game, these incidents were isolated, restricted to a small number of individuals and affected only a minority of supporters attending the match. There was certainly no intention to tarnish the reputation of the travelling support on the day, Cardiff City Football Club nor its fanbase in general, who in the overwhelming majority behaved impeccably at the weekend.

We would like to apologise to all supporters of Cardiff City Football Club who played no part in any discriminatory abuse and feel that their character has been blemished unwarrantedly by the announcement which was made over the PA system at Madejski Stadium. Reading Football Club are liaising with the relevant football authorities to consider how football-wide protocol issued to us was implemented in this instance and we will review our procedure regarding public matchday announcements of this nature accordingly.

However, at both Reading Football Club and Cardiff City Football Club, we remain committed to ensuring that the matchday environment provides a positive experience for all.

Discrimination of any form is not ok and all supporters who visit Madejski Stadium are reminded that instances of discriminatory behaviour will not be tolerated.

No further comment can be made by Reading Football Club or Thames Valley Police at this stage so not to compromise the ongoing investigation.
    So piping down because they are thick as pigshit. Well done, cretins.

I'm no fan of the tedious anti english stuff but this non story is a disgrace. I pity whomever decided to make it an issue, life must be a struggle for a mouthbreather like that.