+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UPDATED: Reading issue statement

UPDATED: Reading issue statement

Cardiff City demand apology from Reading over fans' arrests - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51272271

Re: City demand apology ...

Good on the club, they could have let it slide but they've backed the fans here in a big way.

Good

Following conversations over the past 48 hours with Reading Football Club, Thames Valley Police and South Wales Police, we have a clear picture of the facts pertaining to Saturday’s stadium announcement during our fourth round FA Cup tie at Madejski Stadium and the upsetting allegations made against our supporters.

It is understood that the four Cardiff City supporters arrested and subsequently released prior to investigation were cited during the fixture for using what would normally be considered as unwarranted or non-sensical language. This language could be heard taking place between fans of both clubs and was of an anti-Welsh/anti-English nature.

We are extremely disappointed that Reading Football Club chose to label the behaviour as racist and homophobic (of which there has been no evidence). We also question their protocol and procedure on the day and welcome a full investigation into its use for the benefit of both our clubs and indeed British football.

We are also very disturbed and concerned with some of the subsequent press and media reporting on this matter. Cardiff City Football Club is fully supportive of the efforts being made to banish racism, homophobia and other prejudices from our game and feel that inaccurate or mis-informed reporting harms and dilutes this critical messaging and the work football does within diverse communities in our city and its surrounding areas. Cardiff City is an inclusive club and embraces all cultures, ethnicities and people. We would welcome a retraction from those press and media outlets that have given the perception of our supporters as being racist and homophobic.

Cardiff City FC Executive Director & CEO, Ken Choo, said on the matter: “Our Football Club prides itself on its respect of all people, irrespective of their background, beliefs or orientation. Cardiff is a diverse and welcoming, modern multicultural city and our supporters’ conduct consistently reflects that at our games.

“The announcement made at Reading this weekend was both damaging and hurtful and we would welcome a correction and apology from them to our supporters.

“I look forward to the conclusion of the police investigation, at which point I am confident that the reputation of our club and fans will be fully and unequivocally restored.”
    https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...atement-270120

Full statement.

not even broadcast enough... not heard about this until i came on here...

brushed under the carpet job

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
    not even broadcast enough... not heard about this until i came on here...

brushed under the carpet job
    Well the WOL Ruby paper is way too busy rubbishing us

The BBC are reporting it

I expect the next edition of the Wales on Sunday will have an apology on the front page...

The match at Reading on Saturday is the start of bad blood between the clubs which will endure for a while.

Damn right - whoever made the complaint needs to be made to publicly apologise as well as Reading FC

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    The match at Reading on Saturday is the start of bad blood between the clubs which will endure for a while.
    Least intimidating team to have a rivalry with.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Least intimidating team to have a rivalry with.
    I agree. They all say "Hi, can I get a..." when ordering a drink.

Probably a girly drink like Koppaberg 'an all!

They're just a bunch of Berks

Well I ain’t apologising you bunch of racist (and homophobic) *****.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Get stuffed you snowflake

What's the general gossip amongst Reading fans about what happened on the weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    What's the general gossip amongst Reading fans about what happened on the weekend?
    A little bit in the dark but by and large standing by our club. From a personal perspective it pisses me off. I would like to see good relations between the two clubs but this is damaging.

A little bit in the dark but by and large standing by our club. From a personal perspective it pisses me off. I would like to see good relations between the two clubs but this is damaging.
    “There are none so blind, as those who will not see”

May be worth reminding them of this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-31746030

Who's advising Ken Choo on this issue, Malky Mackay?

The club would be in an awkward spot should one or more of them be convicted of a racially aggravated public order offence as adopting a similar line would leave CCFC open to accusations of condoning racism.

Friday should be interesting but as they'll probably bring about 33 people it wont be that tense between the fans. I imagine our away game there next season will be a sell out for us, let ourselves be heard for the full 90 instead of being falsely embarrassed into silence by the weasels.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post

The club would be in an awkward spot should one or more of them be convicted of a racially aggravated public order offence as adopting a similar line would leave CCFC open to accusations of condoning racism.
    Maybe, but if it is four of them, was there any need to announce it to near 3000 of us, who were doing no such thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post

I suspect that Ken Choo had had a briefing from SWP who were in attendance at the game and is privy to more detail than is currently in the public domain.

Don't we have 5% of rail network and 1% of rail spending? Or Welsh Tories who will do anything to vote down Welsh language or Scottish Tories who will speak out against education in Gaelic? I'd happily trade in singing anti-English songs if in return we get a federal UK and politicians (such as the UK Prime Minster) are held to same standard Reading FC holds football fans.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Don't we have 5% of rail network and 1% of rail spending? Or Welsh Tories who will do anything to vote down Welsh language or Scottish Tories who will speak out against education in Gaelic? I'd happily trade in singing anti-English songs if in return we get a federal UK and politicians (such as the UK Prime Minster) are held to same standard Reading FC holds football fans.
    Apart from the fact they allowed their fans to sing pretty much exactly the same songs as us without issue. Yeah, same standard.