+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UPDATED: Reading issue statement

Re: City demand apology ...

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    May be worth reminding them of this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-31746030
    I didn`t realise they had a history of this type of false accusation and paranoia , blimey talk about being on guard, they must be expecting Liz and Phil at every home game.

A sharp PA man down the City could have a satirical, sarcastic field day on Friday & next Tuesday, the piss could be taken in so many ways every time the 50 or so Reading fans break into song. ‘We forgot that you were here’..... ‘Could the Reading fans please refrain from singing derogatory songs about dementia’, ‘Is there a fire drill?’.....’Could the Reading fans refrain from scaremongering about arson’ etc etc, any more?

The Club reacts after Cardiff City fans called racist and homophobic by Reading Football Club.

Amid the 'banter' betwen Cardiff and Reading fans at the Madejski on Saturday a sombre announcement over the tannoy warned Cardiff City fans to stop their racist and homophobic language.

C:WindowsTempphpCBDE.tmp

The result was to dull the, until then, lively interaction between the home and away supporters and left Cardiff fans wondering just what an earth had happened.

It seems that the anti English and anti Welsh singing that was going back and fore was 'racist and homophobic' but only if you were a Cardiff fan.

As a result of the annoucement the media quickly jumped on the bandwagon and were happy to spread the news without the facts (nothing new there then) and fulfil the myth spread by the tannoy announcer.

There have been minor retractions and word changes from some of the media quick to hammer us at the time but when your own national newspaper runs a front page headline FANS IN 'RACIST CHANT' STORM you realise that trial by media is pretty one sided and first impressions, however inaccurate, count.

I hope that Reading FC and Wales On Sunday offer some sort of retraction and the mainstream media report on that as quickly as they were ready to condemn us.

The Club statement reads: 

Following conversations over the past 48 hours with Reading Football Club, Thames Valley Police and South Wales Police, we have a clear picture of the facts pertaining to Saturday’s stadium announcement during our fourth round FA Cup tie at Madejski Stadium and the upsetting allegations made against our supporters.
    It is understood that the four Cardiff City supporters arrested and subsequently released prior to investigation were cited during the fixture for using what would normally be considered as unwarranted or non-sensical language. This language could be heard taking place between fans of both clubs and was of an anti-Welsh/anti-English nature.

We are extremely disappointed that Reading Football Club chose to label the behaviour as racist and homophobic (of which there has been no evidence). We also question their protocol and procedure on the day and welcome a full investigation into its use for the benefit of both our clubs and indeed British football.

We are also very disturbed and concerned with some of the subsequent press and media reporting on this matter. Cardiff City Football Club is fully supportive of the efforts being made to banish racism, homophobia and other prejudices from our game and feel that inaccurate or mis-informed reporting harms and dilutes this critical messaging and the work football does within diverse communities in our city and its surrounding areas. Cardiff City is an inclusive club and embraces all cultures, ethnicities and people. We would welcome a retraction from those press and media outlets that have given the perception of our supporters as being racist and homophobic.

Cardiff City FC Executive Director & CEO, Ken Choo, said on the matter: “Our Football Club prides itself on its respect of all people, irrespective of their background, beliefs or orientation. Cardiff is a diverse and welcoming, modern multicultural city and our supporters’ conduct consistently reflects that at our games.

“The announcement made at Reading this weekend was both damaging and hurtful and we would welcome a correction and apology from them to our supporters.

“I look forward to the conclusion of the police investigation, at which point I am confident that the reputation of our club and fans will be fully and unequivocally restored.”

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    A sharp PA man down the City could have a satirical, sarcastic field day on Friday & next Tuesday, the piss could be taken in so many ways every time the 50 or so Reading fans break into song. ‘We forgot that you were here’..... ‘Could the Reading fans please refrain from singing derogatory songs about dementia’, ‘Is there a fire drill?’.....’Could the Reading fans refrain from scaremongering about arson’ etc etc, any more?
    Maybe the club could bring Ali or even TLG in for the night ??

Quote Originally Posted by soulsurfer3 View Post
    I didn`t realise they had a history of this type of false accusation and paranoia , blimey talk about being on guard, they must be expecting Liz and Phil at every home game.
    That incident was almost 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    And >>.? How many more are out there ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Indeed and if our club got it wrong then I expect a full retraction and apology but for now we don’t know the outcome of the investigation.

Don`t be surprised if SWP and CCFC have had contact prior to the club statement.

Don`t be surprised if SWP and CCFC have had contact prior to the club statement.
    Yep I suspect you are right. I have never experienced anything other than an excellent atmosphere when I have been at the CCS and was to put it mildly very surprised by what was alleged to have happened on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Yep I suspect you are right. I have never experienced anything other than an excellent atmosphere when I have been at the CCS and was to put it mildly very surprised by what was alleged to have happened on Saturday.
    Sometimes in life you can overcook things and lose sight of what is actually taking place, I think you above all can see the situation from both sides and its just plain wrong. Don1`t let it affect your love of us !!!

Takes the biscuit eh

Despite what we now know the media are still mentioning racist chanting! This article has been posted in the last 5 minutes!!!

http://https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/sport-opinion/reading-fc-cardiff-city-fans-17637230

Sometimes in life you can overcook things and lose sight of what is actually taking place, I think you above all can see the situation from both sides and its just plain wrong. Don1`t let it affect your love of us !!!
    I very much do see it from both sides and find some of the stuff on both HNA and here difficult to accept. It certainly won’t stop me from posting on here.

I very much do see it from both sides and find some of the stuff on both HNA and here difficult to accept. It certainly won’t stop me from posting on here.
    Glad to hear ir, anyway we have a summer of love to look forward to with the Euros and Glammy !!!

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Despite what we now know the media are still mentioning racist chanting! This article has been posted in the last 5 minutes!!!

http://https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/sport-opinion/reading-fc-cardiff-city-fans-17637230
    At least it’s balanced blaming both sets of fans. You could argue both sets of fans were making racist chants in reality. Where do you draw the line? There is a danger that the game becomes sanitised to the extent no one dares make a chant and the match day atmosphere is ruined.

Glad to hear ir, anyway we have a summer of love to look forward to with the Euros and Glammy !!!

Yeah we do and it’s brilliant (apart from the Glammy bit).

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Who's advising Ken Choo on this issue, Malky Mackay?

The club would be in an awkward spot should one or more of them be convicted of a racially aggravated public order offence as adopting a similar line would leave CCFC open to accusations of condoning racism.
    Don’t want to say too much, but I’ve spoken to one and what they were accused of saying wasn’t racist unless you see English as a race.

Strange thing is that Reading fans were singing similar anti- Welsh songs and there was no action taken on them. So if this behaviour is racist then then
    to only take action against the Welsh fans appears to be racist in itself as Reading ( and TVP) are clearly happy to condone anti- Welsh chants , but not anti- English ones ( not forgetting we are the minority here too )

Personally I’m not into it. I like England, lived there for 6 happy years, married an English girl and love her English family ,some of whom followed her to Wales and love it here..but the chants from either side really shouldn’t bother anyone that much that it requires an arrest.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Don't we have 5% of rail network and 1% of rail spending? Or Welsh Tories who will do anything to vote down Welsh language or Scottish Tories who will speak out against education in Gaelic? I'd happily trade in singing anti-English songs if in return we get a federal UK and politicians (such as the UK Prime Minster) are held to same standard Reading FC holds football fans.

What about that fkg bridge naming shite

At least it’s balanced blaming both sets of fans. You could argue both sets of fans were making racist chants in reality. Where do you draw the line? There is a danger that the game becomes sanitised to the extent no one dares make a chant and the match day atmosphere is ruined.
    It really wasn’t that bad. And the arrests were only on one side, which indicates one rule for the home fans another for away.

Journo is clearly walking a bit of a tightrope. The atmosphere will get like the ice hockey soon. ‘Go Bluebirds’

And >>.? How many more are out there ?
    2 further incidents involving Reading in the last few weeks

https://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news...obia-den-slur/

https://twitter.com/tomddumba/status...248005121?s=21

Maybe they were on edge after these 2 incidents ( both at away games) and felt they had to make a stand.

Unfortunately they made a massive balls up of it.

4 fans, including a 15 year old boy held for 8 hours and released at 1AM.

Racist accusations splashed across the worlds media ..

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

And

Some woman from the chartered institute of management said today that discussing football VAR cricket etc by blokes should not be allowed in the workplace because it marginalises women who disproportionately cannot take part in these conversations

Oh ffs

What about when they all gabble about Love Island or Come Dancing or whatever it’s called

Do you take your coffee white ? Racist bstd reported

The world is disappearing up its own arse. I’m off.

Indeed and if our club got it wrong then I expect a full retraction and apology but for now we don’t know the outcome of the investigation.
    What has happened here is a few morons with non jobs have drawn national attention to their lack of intelligence. I doubt anyone much gives a shit about their apology because nobody cares about the views of idiots. Im sure no reading fans or Cardiff fans give a ship, but whomever was behind this bullshit complaint needs a very hard, very public kick square in the bollocks and a p45. Ill happily bid for the opportunity to deliver the kick.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    2 further incidents involving Reading in the last few weeks

https://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news...obia-den-slur/

https://twitter.com/tomddumba/status...248005121?s=21

Maybe they were on edge after these 2 incidents ( both at away games) and felt they had to make a stand.

Unfortunately they made a massive balls up of it.

4 fans, including a 15 year old boy held for 8 hours and released at 1AM.

Racist accusations splashed across the worlds media ..
    Have SWP begun an investigation into the racist anti Welsh chanting at the game ?

The BBC cut-out the 1st paragraph from the statement which reads:

‘Following conversations over the past 48 hours with Reading Football Club, Thames Valley Police and South Wales Police, we have a clear picture of the facts pertaining to Saturday’s stadium announcement during our fourth round FA Cup tie at Madejski Stadium and the upsetting allegations made.’

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    The BBC cut-out the 1st paragraph from the statement which reads:

‘Following conversations over the past 48 hours with Reading Football Club, Thames Valley Police and South Wales Police, we have a clear picture of the facts pertaining to Saturday’s stadium announcement during our fourth round FA Cup tie at Madejski Stadium and the upsetting allegations made.’
    Cheers , logical really as the demand from the club for an apology is strongly worded, no pussy footing.