+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Harris - glass half full or empty?

Harris - glass half full or empty?

I guess this will be proof that there are different ways to look at statistics. Which way do you look at things?

After Neil Warnock left the club on the back of 3 defeats in 6 (2 to our main rivals) and only 1 win, things started brightly for Neil Harris, winning 10 points out of 12.

Since the win over Barnsley on December 7th, we've played 11 games in all competitions. Do we celebrate only losing 2 of those 11 games or do we feel concerned about only winning 2 of them?

Do we feel positive that we've not lost in 6 home games under Harris or worried that we've not won in 4 at home, including clawing back a 2-0 deficit to league 2 strugglers, Carlisle?

We must feel happier with our away form, despite the QPR thrashing.

We've conceded the first goal 8 times, scored the first goal 5 times. We've been ahead at half time 4 times, behind 6 times and level 5 times.

8 of the 24 goals conceded since Harris took over have come in the first 15 minutes. We've yet to concede a goal later than the 68th minute since he's been here.

4 of the 23 goals scored since he took over have come in the first 15 minutes. 4 have also come in the last 15 minutes, with the leveller at Charlton just out of that timescale.

We've scored 8 first half goals and 15 second half goals. We've conceded 13 first half goals and 11 second half goals.

Re: Harris - glass half full or empty?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I guess this will be proof that there are different ways to look at statistics. Which way do you look at things?

After Neil Warnock left the club on the back of 3 defeats in 6 (2 to our main rivals) and only 1 win, things started brightly for Neil Harris, winning 10 points out of 12.

Since the win over Barnsley on December 7th, we've played 11 games in all competitions. Do we celebrate only losing 2 of those 11 games or do we feel concerned about only winning 2 of them?

Do we feel positive that we've not lost in 6 home games under Harris or worried that we've not won in 4 at home, including clawing back a 2-0 deficit to league 2 strugglers, Carlisle?

We must feel happier with our away form, despite the QPR thrashing.

We've conceded the first goal 8 times, scored the first goal 5 times. We've been ahead at half time 4 times, behind 6 times and level 5 times.

8 of the 24 goals conceded since Harris took over have come in the first 15 minutes. We've yet to concede a goal later than the 68th minute since he's been here.

4 of the 23 goals scored since he took over have come in the first 15 minutes. 4 have also come in the last 15 minutes, with the leveller at Charlton just out of that timescale.

We've scored 8 first half goals and 15 second half goals. We've conceded 13 first half goals and 11 second half goals.
    I am more disappointed that it looks like no new signings are coming in this month.
    I said a couple of weeks ago I suspected this and the managers statement had probably already been written - “I have 100% faith in the squad I already have ..etc.etc”
    Clear lack of quality in certain areas but as we do not seem to be in danger of relegation, nothing will be done about it.

He’s on par for me. Couple of great results away, we didn’t bottle the derby and have proven hard to beat in general, QPR aside. He’s also brought the best out of Tomlin. A few stinkers in there too, though.

A win tonight and things will be looking good!

I'd say this is a very big week for Neil Harris. Four points, or more, from the two league games and a place in the Fifth Round of the FA Cup and there will be far less pressure on him. It surely goes without saying though that two league defeats and a cup exit would leave him in real danger of the sack, especially if there are no signings by Friday which could be called exciting.

However, Eric's stats tell us that the reality will probably be different from those two extremes - we'll end up with a couple of league draws, progress or defeat in the cup decided by a penalty shoot out and transfer arrivals and departures that have a ho hum quality to them!

Is that good enough? I'd say not, but I do feel he's been handed something of a poisoned chalice.

I'm probably one of his biggest critics on here but when we do get a good win or play well I will say as much.
    Much of what I say is tainted due to not rating the man (I've posted about it again JR) and I've got to look past that at times I think.

I don't envy the position he has walked into by any means.
    I think he has people at the club in areas such as recruitment that fall some way short of what is required at this level. That is the case whether it is Harris in charge or anybody else. The board do not have enough footballing knowledge and nous for this level. If they haven't noted this and sorted it by now though I can't see them ever doing.

I think Harris has been installed as a hatchet man to the current squad and I think many see him as a bridging manager much in the same way Slade was.
    As much flack as Slade gets he did a decent enough job at a time when everything was sold from under him and still managed to finish 8th. If Harris does likewise then I think that he will have succeeded in what the club want also. Will it be enough for the fans? It wasn't enough when Slade was here and if anything expectations are higher and some would argue that is rightly so. I don't think trundling along under Harris outside of the play offs will be enough for many.

The big bit that niggles for me is that the club had a chance to show real ambition and push on at a critical time after relegation but they seem happy with losing fans and just kicking along. I might be wrong in that opinion but that's how I see it going the next season or so at least.

I dont think Harris is anywhere near the sack, regardless of the results of our next 3 games.

Paul Trollope aside the board have never been trigger happy and whilst we are nowhere near relegation I expect that trend to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I'm probably one of his biggest critics on here but when we do get a good win or play well I will say as much.
    Much of what I say is tainted due to not rating the man (I've posted about it again JR) and I've got to look past that at times I think.

I don't envy the position he has walked into by any means.
    I think he has people at the club in areas such as recruitment that fall some way short of what is required at this level. That is the case whether it is Harris in charge or anybody else. The board do not have enough footballing knowledge and nous for this level. If they haven't noted this and sorted it by now though I can't see them ever doing.

I think Harris has been installed as a hatchet man to the current squad and I think many see him as a bridging manager much in the same way Slade was.
    As much flack as Slade gets he did a decent enough job at a time when everything was sold from under him and still managed to finish 8th. If Harris does likewise then I think that he will have succeeded in what the club want also. Will it be enough for the fans? It wasn't enough when Slade was here and if anything expectations are higher and some would argue that is rightly so. I don't think trundling along under Harris outside of the play offs will be enough for many.

The big bit that niggles for me is that the club had a chance to show real ambition and push on at a critical time after relegation but they seem happy with losing fans and just kicking along. I might be wrong in that opinion but that's how I see it going the next season or so at least.
    Mentioning me again! I hope youre not going to charge me any rent for living in your head!

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Mentioning me again! I hope youre not going to charge me any rent for living in your head!
    I knew you'd be around old bean.

You're never far away.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I knew you'd be around old bean.

You're never far away.
    Lets not derail Erics thread. Hes made some good points, so with that in mind, ill let you have the last word and look forward to locking horns later after weve smashed the league leaders. Au Revior.

I dont think Harris is anywhere near the sack, regardless of the results of our next 3 games.

Paul Trollope aside the board have never been trigger happy and whilst we are nowhere near relegation I expect that trend to continue.
    The Board have reacted to fan pressure in the past and it will certainly grow if the next week goes really badly. The prospect of three more months of the uninspired, monotonous stuff we've been watching for the last six months with a consequent effect on season ticket sales, together with the fact that, from next week, Harris will no longer be able to claim he's working with an inherited squad with impunity because he'll have had a transfer window to do something about it may concentrate a few minds at Boardroom level - I'm not saying it would be fair to sack him, but I don't believe it's as straightforward as you suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The Board have reacted to fan pressure in the past and it will certainly grow if the next week goes really badly. The prospect of three more months of the uninspired, monotonous stuff we've been watching for the last six months with a consequent effect on season ticket sales, together with the fact that, from next week, Harris will no longer be able to claim he's working with an inherited squad with impunity because he'll have had a transfer window to do something about it may concentrate a few minds at Boardroom level - I'm not saying it would be fair to sack him, but I don't believe it's as straightforward as you suggest.
    Thats a bit unfair saying hes had a transfer window to do something about it. If the club want to tie his hands and not release purse strings for him to get anyone in then he is still very much having to work with an inherited squad.

Perhaps the board need to be looking at themselves rather than the manager as if we just keep sacking managers, but not changing the playing squad, then we will be going around in circles, because you know as well as I do that this is not a good squad of players.

I think the signs were all there that not much was going to change, if you look at the comments by managers and fans of any club that faced his old Wall team, and more of their own were negative when he left than were positive from what I saw on various places on the internet.

I am not glass empty at this moment, which surprises me after my original reaction, he has made changes to the team like Tomlin, and the defensive pairing seems to be the right one ATM (but something is telling me Flints performance sat might get him a place back alongside Mozza again, that horrible creeping feeling) he has tried different formations and hasn't waited until the death to make changes in games.
    I am not overly impressed but I have seen glimpses of better football, Tomlin and Glatzel if they can keep the ball down will see that end improve, and I think a more mobile midfielders in the centre will see us improve, I wasn't quick to judge pack but having seen Vaulks and Ralls sat I'd much rather them tbh.

I agree with that.