+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Abide with me

Abide with me

One thing I was really looking forward to at the fa cup final was singing abide with me. As we all know, it was ruined by having some singer over the tannoy singing at crazy pitch for the benefit of nobody. I’d rather hoped that it was a one off **** up and the FA would return to proper cup final procedure later, but as far as I can tell every cup final since has been vandalised by unnecessary “enhancement” from a famous singer trashing the cup final hymn ever since. So is there a decent recording of just the crowd singing that hymn at a cup final ? Thanks

Re: Abide with me

Can't find one at youtube that fits the bill which has only the crowd singing it except for this ropey audio of the 1927 rendition when The Arsenal played someone or other. Forward to the 2:05 mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Can't find one at youtube that fits the bill which has only the crowd singing it except for this ropey audio of the 1927 rendition when The Arsenal played someone or other. Forward to the 2:05 mark.

Thank you for posting. This single change just shows how the FA Cup has been stained by so called, 'progress,' that has been solely designed to accommodate the aspirations of Champions' League participation. A once glorious competition is now festooned with glitz ... and a recent glitz that is already becoming tarnished. There is only one thing worse than glitz and that's tarnished glitz.

StT.
    <><

https://open.spotify.com/track/5bz4G...R5O8avEfCD7z9g
    Several other versions on Spotify including one by Katherine Jenkins.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    Thank you for posting. This single change just shows how the FA Cup has been stained by so called, 'progress,' that has been solely designed to accommodate the aspirations of Champions' League participation. A once glorious competition is now festooned with glitz ... and a recent glitz that is already becoming tarnished. There is only one thing worse than glitz and that's tarnished glitz.

StT.
    <><
    Americanised crap: we could do without it in all walks of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I agree but the media and those who have influence over our football are seduced by everything American. I noticed the other day even a League 2 manager referring to his side's "offensive formation", when he meant "attacking"..

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Far too many homicides followed by autopsies these days in this country.
    Whatever happened to a good old British murder and a post-mortem?

I blame Quincy ME

I don’t think this is what’s killing interest in the FA Cup. It’s the big teams treating it with disdain is the problem because the champions league and staying in the premier league is the be all and end all because of all the money involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I don’t think this is what’s killing interest in the FA Cup. It’s the big teams treating it with disdain is the problem because the champions league and staying in the premier league is the be all and end all because of all the money involved.
    Also the final being played at 5.30pm

Also the FA know that the Cup Final is still an easy cash-cow for them. No matter what they do - change k/o time to 5.30, have a "celebrity" sing Abide with me, pom-pom waving cheerleaders etc, they are guaranteed a 90,000 sell out crowd. Why should they care?

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Also the FA know that the Cup Final is still an easy cash-cow for them. No matter what they do - change k/o time to 5.30, have a "celebrity" sing Abide with me, pom-pom waving cheerleaders etc, they are guaranteed a 90,000 sell out crowd. Why should they care?
    They should care. Because TV viewing figures will continue to drop and so will sponsorship revenue.

Thanks to organ Morgan- nice research. Slumdog rather missed the point but I appreciate the effort.

I have a vague recollection of a clip, black and white, probably 1960s, with a conductor on a platform conducting the crowd. Everton may have been one of the teams. No celebrity singers, possibly no band. And 100% excellent. That's what I wanted. Not Kathryn jenkins or anyone else belting it out over the tannoy. **** the fa cup, a good competition ruined by shit like that, and nonsense like klopp taking the piss. The FA should strap on a pair; bollock themselves for being weak as piss; permanently ban celebrity singers from even attending games; and then ban Liverpool from the fa cup for being an absolute bunch of whinging arseholes. The ban should be indefinite and only be lifted once they can prove that 80%+ of their season tickets are sold to people with a Liverpool postcode.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Far too many homicides followed by autopsies these days in this country.
    Whatever happened to a good old British murder and a post-mortem?

I blame Quincy ME
    They’re actually not the same thing. An autopsy is part of a post mortem.

I used to pride myself on my knowledge of the FA Cup finals as a kid. I dont recall missing many. Used to love the all day build up.

I can roll off all of the 80s and 90s FA Cups off the top of my head but I couldnt even tell you the teams in the last 5 finals apart from Man City v Watford last year and thats only because of the hammering Watford took.

That said, it was still wonderful to be part of it in 2008, even though we didnt turn up on the pitch.

I though they stopped the community singing because nobody actual sung. Or rather they actually sung their own songs over the top of the band.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    They’re actually not the same thing. An autopsy is part of a post mortem.
    Which bit is the autopsy?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Thanks to organ Morgan- nice research. Slumdog rather missed the point but I appreciate the effort.

I have a vague recollection of a clip, black and white, probably 1960s, with a conductor on a platform conducting the crowd. Everton may have been one of the teams. No celebrity singers, possibly no band. And 100% excellent. That's what I wanted. Not Kathryn jenkins or anyone else belting it out over the tannoy. **** the fa cup, a good competition ruined by shit like that, and nonsense like klopp taking the piss. The FA should strap on a pair; bollock themselves for being weak as piss; permanently ban celebrity singers from even attending games; and then ban Liverpool from the fa cup for being an absolute bunch of whinging arseholes. The ban should be indefinite and only be lifted once they can prove that 80%+ of their season tickets are sold to people with a Liverpool postcode.
    I'd hate to meet Pessimistic Nick