+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Hoilett, not in form?

Hoilett, not in form?

Seems to be a bit distant and looks jaded at the mo. Gets plenty of possession just seems to be making the wrong pass or turn. Not at his best and hopefully can turn the corner

Re: Hoilett, not in form?

I thought he was decent last weekend. He's a skillful player, carries the ball fairly well and has shown he has a terrific strike in him from time to time. For me, his decision making is the worst part of his game.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    Seems to be a bit distant and looks jaded at the mo. Gets plenty of possession just seems to be making the wrong pass or turn. Not at his best and hopefully can turn the corner
    Hasn't done much since Warnock left. Some of Hoilett's best form has been when Warnock has been his manager. No criticism of Hoilett here by the way, but wonder if Warnock was a manager who made him tick and Harris will struggle through no fault of his own?

He has played football for Canada in the 2018 and 2019 summer breaks meaning he has played non-stop football since Aug 2017. You can't play at this level without proper rest periods. In short the man deserves a rest.

StT.
    <><

West Brom are a decent side and defended well against JH.
    Although a few passes went awry, I also thought that Junior did a lot of tracking back and put some vital slide tackles in.

It's not always about the offensive stuff, even for an attacking winger, sometimes you've gotta do the dirty work.

If Hoilett was off his game today, God only knows what we'd have got if Murphy was out there!

Our best and most consistent wide player by a long way IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    West Brom are a decent side and defended well against JH.
    Although a few passes went awry, I also thought that Junior did a lot of tracking back and put some vital slide tackles in.

It's not always about the offensive stuff, even for an attacking winger, sometimes you've gotta do the dirty work.

If Hoilett was off his game today, God only knows what we'd have got if Murphy was out there!

Our best and most consistent wide player by a long way IMHO.
    I'd have to disagree with your assertion that he's consistent. I think the term.. 'blows hot & cold' must have been coined for him.

Don't think he's consistent but I do think he's our best winger.

I agree with those who say we've not seen the best of Junior Hoilett since Neil Warnock left, but Neil Harris seems to have a lot of faith in him, because I'd say he has definitely been the new manager's number one choice winger since he's been here. I thought Hoilett was one of our poorer players last night and I felt sorry for Gavin Whyte who was withdrawn about thirty seconds after producing the best run that I've seen from him since he came here - I would have taken Hoilett off, rather than Whyte, when Leandro Bacuna was introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I agree with those who say we've not seen the best of Junior Hoilett since Neil Warnock left, but Neil Harris seems to have a lot of faith in him, because I'd say he has definitely been the new manager's number one choice winger since he's been here. I thought Hoilett was one of our poorer players last night and I felt sorry for Gavin Whyte who was withdrawn about thirty seconds after producing the best run that I've seen from him since he came here - I would have taken Hoilett off, rather than Whyte, when Leandro Bacuna was introduced.
    Initially I thought like you, bring Hoilett off. However when we pushed the ball to Hoilett late on he held the ball. Gag would have lost it sooner. Hoilett killed off time, Gav wouldn’t.

Gavin looked like he’d run two marathons followed by standing in a car wash.

They tripled up on him and still he decided to run at them.

He should have played it back most of the time or get runners beyond him but the crowd wouldn’t have liked that

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    They tripled up on him and still he decided to run at them.

He should have played it back most of the time or get runners beyond him but the crowd wouldn’t have liked that
    Yep, we wouldn’t have liked it. It would have gone to Pack for him to make a missed pass Oe push it further backwards. Pack should be mentioned as poor well before Hoilett.

Quote Originally Posted by Porth Pouncer View Post
    Yep, we wouldn’t have liked it. It would have gone to Pack for him to make a missed pass Oe push it further backwards. Pack should be mentioned as poor well before Hoilett.

Indeed.

I've never seen a player try and make so many under hit passes or ones that are easily intercepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I'd have to disagree with your assertion that he's consistent. I think the term.. 'blows hot & cold' must have been coined for him.
    I stick by "consistent".

I think people's expectations of JH are high and there is a lot on his shoulders, particularly because he is one of few people we have who can beat a man.

We have seen him on many occasions take people on, beat players inside and out, hit worldies, as well as getting back behind the ball when it breaks down and to do this every time he gets the ball is asking a lot, especially when the opposition are fully aware of his ability. They know he's our dangerman and often double up on him.

For me he is not just our best player going forward, he is also good at the defensive side of things.
    The way we play, especially when under the cosh, he is a banker to hold it up and as his song goes, "never (rarely) give the ball away", thus allowing time for us to regroup and get our shape back.

Junior had a good game by his standards, by anybody else's, he was better than just good.

Edit:
    As he has been mentioned in this thread, I like the look of Whyte and although he is quite raw, I'd like to see more of him.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Whyte looks a better player under Harris. Whether that's because Harris has taken off some of the defensive shackles, I don't know, but he's definitely growing in confidence and improving as a player.

The run Whyte did was excellent, let's hope we see more of that from him.