+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Corbyn nationalises Northern rail

Heisenberg

Corbyn nationalises Northern rail

Oh, wait... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-51298820

Troubled rail company Northern is to be brought under government control.

The decision, which will see the firm's franchise stripped from operator Arriva Rail North from 1 March, was taken following years of major disruption.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said passengers had "lost trust in the north's rail network".

Arriva said it "understood the government's decision", but problems had been largely due to "external factors" such as rail infrastructure.

Northern passengers have faced rail chaos ever since new timetables were introduced in May 2018, and punctuality and reliability problems have continued to blight the network.

Mr Shapps said: "People across the north deserve better, their communities deserve better and I am determined to achieve that."

The move means services will be operated by an arms-length government-owned company.

German-based Arriva had been due to run Northern until March 2025.

But Mr Shapps revealed in October he had requested a proposal from Northern to outline its plans to improve services, after "unacceptable" delays and cancellations.

The Department for Transport then had to consider whether to hand a new, short-term contract to Arriva, or to nationalise services by putting the government-controlled Operator of Last Resort (OLR) in charge.

Re: Corbyn nationalises Northern rail

Well done Grant Shapps

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Well done Grant Shapps
    I thought you were only keen for any rail privatisation to occur when a contract had ended - as you put it, to avoid "compensation". According to the article, the contract was until 2025

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I thought you were only keen for any rail privatisation to occur when a contract had ended - as you put it, to avoid "compensation". According to the article, the contract was until 2025
    I've always understood Life on Mars' viewpoint on any subject to be "flexible" depending on the party or individual that is giving a view on said subject .

For me, the notion of the Tories (re)nationalising an industry is amusing, but I think it is a correct decision this time.

I t was bit naughty after a few beers and a wind up

Try and chill FFS your only on the planet once unless , one of you is related to Pythagoras, Socrates, or Plato , which you could be as you do come across as very knowledgeable people , whose views must be heard .

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've always understood Life on Mars' viewpoint on any subject to be "flexible" depending on the party or individual that is giving a view on said subject .

For me, the notion of the Tories (re)nationalising an industry is amusing, but I think it is a correct decision this time.
    On the renationalisation and on the summary of LOM worldview.

Heisenberg

I t was bit naughty after a few beers and a wind up

Try and chill FFS your only on the planet once unless , one of you is related to Pythagoras, Socrates, or Plato , which you could be as you do come across as very knowledgeable people , whose views must be heard .
    You've been told several times by posters that you're not a good wind up merchant, though. I can promise you that absolutley nobody gets wound up by your posts, we just get confused by them as you either make no sense whatsoever ("your only on the planet once unless, one of you is related to Pythagoras..." ) or you just come across a bit of a dick or a hypocrite - depending on the topic. Nevertheless, nobody is getting wound up by you

You've been told several times by posters that you're not a good wind up merchant, though. I can promise you that absolutley nobody gets wound up by your posts, we just get confused by them as you either make no sense whatsoever ("your only on the planet once unless, one of you is related to Pythagoras..." ) or you just come across a bit of a dick or a hypocrite - depending on the topic. Nevertheless, nobody is getting wound up by you
    Gets to you though , it's easy to get you to bite as views are so narrow .

To be fair your brave keyboard warrior , with you hard man grammar.

As long as you respond I an chuckle .

I tried repeating that back imitating Jackie Chan's voice and it almost made sense!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I tried repeating that back imitating Jackie Chan's voice and it almost made sense!
    Another follower welcome

Heisenberg

...but it doesn't get to me (or anyone else), you're delusional if you think you have that effect. Your wind ups are either unoriginal or completely nonsensical.

When you think that I'm "biting" I'm literally trying to find out what you were trying to say... I honestly don't think it's your grammar... Sometimes I have to question whether you literally have no idea what you wanted to say and maybe you are bobbing for sentences and go with whatever comes out.

We're all chuckling, mate... It's just not with you.

...but it doesn't get to me (or anyone else), you're delusional if you think you have that effect. Your wind ups are either unoriginal or completely nonsensical.

When you think that I'm "biting" I'm literally trying to find out what you were trying to say... I honestly don't think it's your grammar... Sometimes I have to question whether you literally have no idea what you wanted to say and maybe you are bobbing for sentences and go with whatever comes out.

We're all chuckling, mate... It's just not with you.
    There you again, still following , I must be of interest as you keep replying and commenting , LOMS is still alive , kicking and irrating one .

Did you enjoy Tuesday game, or was it just , hard man , keyboard time for you ??

I love this , keep coming.

Heisenberg

There you again, still following , I must be of interest as you keep replying and commenting , LOMS is still alive , kicking and irrating one .

Did you enjoy Tuesday game, or was it just , hard man , keyboard time for you ??

I love this , keep coming.
    Fair play "LOMS" and "hard man, keyboard time" are new ones.

I wonder what else you've got in your sentence soup that you'll come back with this time

Fair play "LOMS" and "hard man, keyboard time" are new ones.

I wonder what else you've got in your sentence soup that you'll come back with this time
    its just what you are , i'm off out now into the real world , feck the rain /cold up the city

Heisenberg

its just what you are , i'm off out now into the real world , feck the rain /cold up the city
    Aww... That's nice Wrap up warm, sweetie.

Aww... That's nice Wrap up warm, sweetie.
    At least one goes

Heisenberg

At least one goes
    Care to finish this thought?