+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starmer Edging To Victory Thank God

Starmer Edging To Victory Thank God

Starmer is now as short as 1/4 to win, well ahead of his nearest rival Rebecca Wrong-Bailey.

Re: Starmer Edging To Victory Thank God

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Starmer is now as short as 1/4 to win, well ahead of his nearest rival Rebecca Wrong-Bailey.
    Think you mean Wrong-Daily!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Think you mean Wrong-Daily!!!!!
    Indeed.

Indeed.
    I would prefer lisa nandy , shes only 40 and it will take ten years to rebuild the party

Starmer has no charisma

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I would prefer lisa nandy , shes only 40 and it will take ten years to rebuild the party

Starmer has no charisma
    I agree, breath of fresh air ,however way too much of a step forward for Labour .

This is the closest the all inclusiveness party has been to electing a women , an MP outside of the London elite, and not backed by he Momentum fruit loops.

My first choice was Jess Phillips she'd have destroyed the blonde one.

I'm not enthused by any of the candidates still standing. I have been to Long-Bailey and Starmer campaign rallies in Sheffield in the past week - both with 300-400 members present. Missed the Lisa Nandy one as was on holiday.

They are all falling over themselves to get the endorsement of the Israeli Embassy.

Long-Bailey has alienated a lot of members on the left in the last few weeks and doesn't seem quite as assured as I expected. Starmer strangely is coming over as a more genuine supporter of the good things from the Corbyn revolution and the last two manifestos and is pitching quite effectively as the unity candidate. Nandy has some good things to say about rebuilding trust in northern towns and amongst leave voters, but she has really taken up the mantle of the PLP right wing now that Jess Philips has taken her ego off on some other Jess Philips project.

Clive Lewis was the one I most favoured when the hands first went up - but he didn't get out of the starting stall.

Two weeks ago I would have been a certain Long-Bailey voter, but not so sure now. Starmer may be a better bet than I first thought.

Starmer doesn't seem to be falling for the obvious traps, 'rate Corbyn out of 10', 'are you a Zionist?'. I think labour can regain its focus under him and I see a real possibility of a united party.

https://youtu.be/oUon9j1zJ_E

Not sure Nandy has thought this one through.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I'm not enthused by any of the candidates still standing. I have been to Long-Bailey and Starmer campaign rallies in Sheffield in the past week - both with 300-400 members present. Missed the Lisa Nandy one as was on holiday.

They are all falling over themselves to get the endorsement of the Israeli Embassy.

Long-Bailey has alienated a lot of members on the left in the last few weeks and doesn't seem quite as assured as I expected. Starmer strangely is coming over as a more genuine supporter of the good things from the Corbyn revolution and the last two manifestos and is pitching quite effectively as the unity candidate. Nandy has some good things to say about rebuilding trust in northern towns and amongst leave voters, but she has really taken up the mantle of the PLP right wing now that Jess Philips has taken her ego off on some other Jess Philips project.

Clive Lewis was the one I most favoured when the hands first went up - but he didn't get out of the starting stall.

Two weeks ago I would have been a certain Long-Bailey voter, but not so sure now. Starmer may be a better bet than I first thought.
    Why does Labour feel vulnerable when talking about Israeli , not all its people evil,the surrounding countries never seem to get mentioned in the same way as they speak of Israel ,there is a whiff of hatred about in my humble view .

Clive Lewis in my view , is way off the modern electorate appeal radar ,its like no one has witnessed he last four elections ,so frustrating .

Labour either wants power or it doesn't I feel it just want to be a party of protest

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    https://youtu.be/oUon9j1zJ_E

Not sure Nandy has thought this one through.
    telling comment under the video clip

"That child sex offender is NOT a woman. He ought not to have the rights afforded to women to protect them in law.
    Thank you for sharing this, it really shows women like me, historically Labour members and supporters where the party is going with regards to self ID."

Starmer doesn't seem to be falling for the obvious traps, 'rate Corbyn out of 10', 'are you a Zionist?'. I think labour can regain its focus under him and I see a real possibility of a united party.
    If he means what he says in the hustings (and he seems to be doubling down on the 'do not jettison Corbyn' comments) then I think you may be right. I am bothered by all of the candidates on their response to the anti-semitism (part genuine, part manufactured) crisis. But Starmer has been impressive on the role of the membership, support for the green new deal and anti-austerity platform in the last two manifestos (and the failures of the market - which distances him from many Blairites), an ethical foreign policy with a focus on human rights (which in the context he said it seems to be partly about Israel/Palestine as well as arms trading, Saudi Arabia, Iran and China) and the overriding need to make Labour electable without ditching principles, values and difficult (if individually popular) policies. He isn't a great orator or personality - but he does exude competence and integrity.

As a Labour member I had always expected to vote Starmer. However I have been very impressed by Lisa Nandy and it’s likely she will be getting my vote,

If he means what he says in the hustings (and he seems to be doubling down on the 'do not jettison Corbyn' comments) then I think you may be right. I am bothered by all of the candidates on their response to the anti-semitism (part genuine, part manufactured) crisis. But Starmer has been impressive on the role of the membership, support for the green new deal and anti-austerity platform in the last two manifestos (and the failures of the market - which distances him from many Blairites), an ethical foreign policy with a focus on human rights (which in the context he said it seems to be partly about Israel/Palestine as well as arms trading, Saudi Arabia, Iran and China) and the overriding need to make Labour electable without ditching principles, values and difficult (if individually popular) policies. He isn't a great orator or personality - but he does exude competence and integrity.
    Will he appeal to traditional working class Labour Leave voters? I am far from convinced. I think Nandy is far more in tune with lost Labour voters.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Will he appeal to traditional working class Labour Leave voters? I am far from convinced. I think Nandy is far more in tune with lost Labour voters.
    You may be right on that.

Interesting in the TV debate tonight Nandy was the one who said ditch the monarchy, whilst the other two said no (Starmer said scale down). I like some things from her - but not others. She is firming up her position as the anti-Corbyn candidate, and despite his obvious weaknesses as a Parliamentary leader, I do not like what that represents in the PLP. Maybe that makes her more attractive to former Labour voters (together with her Brexit stance)... I don't know. Long-Bailey may have Momentum and Unite backing but she is doing a good job of alienating a lot of her 'natural' support - me included.

If Starmer wins I wonder how long it will take him to turn back to a centralsit Blair type government, you know the one that used to win them elections?

If Starmer wins I wonder how long it will take him to turn back to a centralsit Blair type government, you know the one that used to win them elections?
    I still remember the 2010 Labour victory fondly.

Heisenberg

I still remember the 2010 Labour victory fondly.

[QUOTE=jon1959;5049359]I still remember the 2010 Labour victory fondly.[/QUOTj

I bet , being in opposition obviously appeals to its new Labour followers

[QUOTE=life on mars;5049466]
    I still remember the 2010 Labour victory fondly.[/QUOTj

I bet , being in opposition obviously appeals to its new Labour followers
    Er.... not the point.

'Centrist Blair type government' did not always win elections. They did some good things: mild redistribution in Brown budgets, Sure Start, some investment in public assets - though too often via PFI - a housing policy (thank you John Healey) and other progressive changes. They also engineered illegal wars, pandered to the Murdoch press, and continued major elements of Thatcherism without any shame. The shine went off and the centrist 'Blair type' politics of Blair and Brown paved the way for the return of Conservatism (with and without Liberal poodles). If your recipe for Labour electoral success is a return to that I think you are dead wrong.

[QUOTE=jon1959;5049478]

Er.... not the point.

'Centrist Blair type government' did not always win elections. They did some good things: mild redistribution in Brown budgets, Sure Start, some investment in public assets - though too often via PFI - a housing policy (thank you John Healey) and other progressive changes. They also engineered illegal wars, pandered to the Murdoch press, and continued major elements of Thatcherism without any shame. The shine went off and the centrist 'Blair type' politics of Blair and Brown paved the way for the return of Conservatism (with and without Liberal poodles). If your recipe for Labour electoral success is a return to that I think you are dead wrong.
    You know that is not the point , every party learns by its mistakes and trys to establish a better version of itself, no one is suggesting a return to total Blair politics, what is very clear though , today's Labour party is not fit for purpose or electable ,not my single view, its the majority of the country's view , and has been sadly for the last 4 elections .

Didn't see it (debate last night) , but heard on radio coming home tonight, Lisa Nandy was the only one with the courage to suggest, it's possibly time to end the monarchy, KS & RLB just fudged their answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Didn't see it (debate last night) , but heard on radio coming home tonight, Lisa Nandy was the only one with the courage to suggest, it's possibly time to end the monarchy, KS & RLB just fudged their answers.
    She's brave as the country still has affections for the Royals and that can play out in an election as an anti Britishness theme, I suppose thats why the others are on the JC fence edging thier bets.

Sir Kier was made a (Queens ) council which may sit difficult with him ( is the Sir thingy anything to do with the Royalist system ? ) .

Our Becks is very quiet on the matter, but she did give 10 out of 10 to Jezzie , who is an anti Royal .

Why do Labour dislike the Royals so ??

She's brave as the country still has affections for the Royals and that can play out in an election as an anti Britishness theme, I suppose thats why the others are on the JC fence edging thier bets.

Sir Kier was made a (Queens ) council which may sit difficult with him ( is the Sir thingy anything to do with the Royalist system ? ) .

Our Becks is very quiet on the matter, but she did give 10 out of 10 to Jezzie , who is an anti Royal .

I have just finished watching the Crown on Netflix, I have no idea how true they have tried to make this series, but if it is a story of near truth, the Queen and Harold Wilson were quite friendly after a difficult start, I cannot remember what it was but the queen offered to do something for HW on learning of his illness that she only did for her hero Churchill. it was something like address the cabinet or have his cabinet to the palace. it is a great series but I'd still bin the RF.

If you like the idea of equality then it's quite hard to make a case for being in favour of a monarchy.

If you like the idea of equality then it's quite hard to make a case for being in favour of a monarchy.
    Trouble is you don't get equality in any other society's either , you get mad republican regimes, controlling presidents, dangerous dictators and generals .