+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Starmer Edging To Victory Thank God

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Starmer Edging To Victory Thank God

Starmer doesn't seem to be falling for the obvious traps, 'rate Corbyn out of 10', 'are you a Zionist?'. I think labour can regain its focus under him and I see a real possibility of a united party.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Starmer doesn't seem to be falling for the obvious traps, 'rate Corbyn out of 10', 'are you a Zionist?'. I think labour can regain its focus under him and I see a real possibility of a united party.
    If he means what he says in the hustings (and he seems to be doubling down on the 'do not jettison Corbyn' comments) then I think you may be right. I am bothered by all of the candidates on their response to the anti-semitism (part genuine, part manufactured) crisis. But Starmer has been impressive on the role of the membership, support for the green new deal and anti-austerity platform in the last two manifestos (and the failures of the market - which distances him from many Blairites), an ethical foreign policy with a focus on human rights (which in the context he said it seems to be partly about Israel/Palestine as well as arms trading, Saudi Arabia, Iran and China) and the overriding need to make Labour electable without ditching principles, values and difficult (if individually popular) policies. He isn't a great orator or personality - but he does exude competence and integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    If he means what he says in the hustings (and he seems to be doubling down on the 'do not jettison Corbyn' comments) then I think you may be right. I am bothered by all of the candidates on their response to the anti-semitism (part genuine, part manufactured) crisis. But Starmer has been impressive on the role of the membership, support for the green new deal and anti-austerity platform in the last two manifestos (and the failures of the market - which distances him from many Blairites), an ethical foreign policy with a focus on human rights (which in the context he said it seems to be partly about Israel/Palestine as well as arms trading, Saudi Arabia, Iran and China) and the overriding need to make Labour electable without ditching principles, values and difficult (if individually popular) policies. He isn't a great orator or personality - but he does exude competence and integrity.
    Will he appeal to traditional working class Labour Leave voters? I am far from convinced. I think Nandy is far more in tune with lost Labour voters.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Will he appeal to traditional working class Labour Leave voters? I am far from convinced. I think Nandy is far more in tune with lost Labour voters.
    You may be right on that.

Interesting in the TV debate tonight Nandy was the one who said ditch the monarchy, whilst the other two said no (Starmer said scale down). I like some things from her - but not others. She is firming up her position as the anti-Corbyn candidate, and despite his obvious weaknesses as a Parliamentary leader, I do not like what that represents in the PLP. Maybe that makes her more attractive to former Labour voters (together with her Brexit stance)... I don't know. Long-Bailey may have Momentum and Unite backing but she is doing a good job of alienating a lot of her 'natural' support - me included.