+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Josh Murphy

Josh Murphy

Rarely gets a look in under Harris, who substitutes his two starting wingers tonight with a right back and a striker, leaving Murphy on the bench, £11m worth of a winger. The window has now closed so he's with us until the end of the season. Makes no sense to me.

Re: Josh Murphy

Doubt anyone wants him

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Rarely gets a look in under Harris, who substitutes his two starting wingers tonight with a right back and a striker, leaving Murphy on the bench, £11m worth of a winger. The window has now closed so he's with us until the end of the season. Makes no sense to me.
    He's on big money and there is a lot of time left on his contract. He wasn't going anywhere unless we wanted to pay him to play for another club for the next 2.5 years.

£11m worth of a winger.
    I could spend a tenner on a packet of monster munch. Doesn't make it worth £10

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    He's on big money and there is a lot of time left on his contract. He wasn't going anywhere unless we wanted to pay him to play for another club for the next 2.5 years.
    But he's obviously not in the manager's plans? So he's on big money and not contributing.

He doesn't contribute anything when he plays.
    He's out of favour and other clubs will have known that.
    He's still here because nobody wants him.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I don't recall too many complaining about the fee when we signed him. It didn't really work out for him under Warnock and it seems Harris doesn't rate him. That's a hell of an outlay to have being stuck on the bench. Surely someone would have taken him on loan, to get him off the wage bill, at least?

I don't recall too many complaining about the fee when we signed him. It didn't really work out for him under Warnock and it seems Harris doesn't rate him. That's a hell of an outlay to have being stuck on the bench.
    I don't disagree with any of that. But the fact of the matter is that you have, essentially, uneducated morons spending millions in this industry because there is no benchmarking, no accountability and no controls. Football is the wild west. Even if Murphy was not shit (and he is), where does a £11m valuation come from? Where is the science that tracks that back to an anticipated improvement in performance for the club?

He's not £11m of winger. He's a young man who someone had a hunch would do well, and spaffed £11m of someone else's money against a wall for. Because football is a game infested with guesswork and cretins. Not Murphy's fault. Not even Warnock's fault really. It's the game itself that is rotten.

I don't recall too many complaining about the fee when we signed him. It didn't really work out for him under Warnock and it seems Harris doesn't rate him. That's a hell of an outlay to have being stuck on the bench. Surely someone would have taken him on loan, to get him off the wage bill, at least?
    Would you take him if he was in the exact same situation at another club? Teams will see the wages, see how badly out of form he is and will say no thanks. Sadly we have been taken to the cleaners again

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Would you take him if he was in the exact same situation at another club? Teams will see the wages, see how badly out of form he is and will say no thanks. Sadly we have been taken to the cleaners again
    I'd look at it the other way. He's hit rock bottom in his career so the bar is pretty low at the moment. However, a new start with a manager who fancies giving him a run would surely see some improvement. We had it with Hoilett and Bamba when they signed. Nobody wanted them and they were a revelation. You're right about the wages and the comparison isn't the same with these two in that respect, but Harris not bringing him on at half-time tonight confuses the hell out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    I don’t think we’ve been taken to the cleaners. In the grand scheme of things £11m is **** all, if we had survived last season but we didn’t. We took a punt/risk on Murphy and it’s not worked out. The talk at Norwich was about talent he possessed but not consistent. That’s how he was in the Premier League when he actually had a chance. He, along with others, were chopped and changed week in, week out, which wouldn’t help any player striving for consistency. And I think his confidence is shot now and obviously Harris hasn’t warmed to him.

A move elsewhere would probably be the best for all parties but looks like something will have to give in terms with of his wage demands and our transfer fee demands.

£11m as a percentage of gate receipts is not **** all. Even amortised over 4 years as percentage of turnover it wont be **** all. Hindsight is an unfair weapon and at the time it seemed a decent signing but it wasn't, it was a car crash.

£11m as a percentage of gate receipts is not **** all. Even amortised over 4 years as percentage of turnover it wont be **** all. Hindsight is an unfair weapon and at the time it seemed a decent signing but it wasn't, it was a car crash.
    I said had we survived, then yes it would have been **** all in comparison to the tv money we would have received, not just gate receipts.

We couldn’t afford players who were seasoned premier league players.

Now we’re left with a player who has quality but is now devoid of any confidence whatsoever, the fans on his back when he makes a mistake and a manager that doesn’t think he’s for him even off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavross1927 View Post
    I said had we survived, then yes it would have been **** all in comparison to the tv money we would have received, not just gate receipts.

We couldn’t afford players who were seasoned premier league players.

Now we’re left with a player who has quality but is now devoid of any confidence whatsoever, the fans on his back when he makes a mistake and a manager that doesn’t think he’s for him even off the bench.
    We didnt survive though. He we bought with a view to fighting a promotion fight as a plan B, and that was a good idea. But he was the wrong man for the job. Not enough talent for the epl, and my 2 year old has more fight. A good idea, But terrible research and a terrible pick. And yes that'shindsight speaking but how else do your appraise the effect of big decisions?

I don't disagree with any of that. But the fact of the matter is that you have, essentially, uneducated morons spending millions in this industry because there is no benchmarking, no accountability and no controls. Football is the wild west. Even if Murphy was not shit (and he is), where does a £11m valuation come from? Where is the science that tracks that back to an anticipated improvement in performance for the club?

He's not £11m of winger. He's a young man who someone had a hunch would do well, and spaffed £11m of someone else's money against a wall for. Because football is a game infested with guesswork and cretins. Not Murphy's fault. Not even Warnock's fault really. It's the game itself that is rotten.
    The end. 😀

Spot on and couldn't put it better

He looked decent in the Premier League when we first signed him, but I don't think Warnock was the best manager for him and we have probably ruined him. He definitely needs a fresh start.

I think he might be better with better players around him.
    He just doesn’t work with our players and the way we try to play.
    Put him in say a Leeds side and I think you’d see a different result.

He is not a bad player.

He’s a specific player for a role that just doesn’t exist in Cardiff at the moment.

I would put him ahead of Hoilett next game but he needs to stop holding onto the ball too long

bloke's a ****.
    a winger who can't beat a man.

When things you try are not coming off, you try your damnedest to put it right.
    For example, if the fullback just will not be beaten or plays a high line stealing the ball seemingly with ease, forces you into a poor touch/pass, you try something different and change your game to suit.

All I ever see this bloke do is the same things over and over again, trying to run through his man and getting picked off at will. When it does break down, he has no intention of trying to win it back preferring instead to let one of his teammates do that.

There is zero fight in him, jumping out of every 50/50 challenge, sometimes 60/40 in his favour.

I'm sorry but there is no excusing JM the way he plays in our team.
    You don't need the technical knowledge of Sir Alex Ferguson to realise that our team is not based on talented offensive play, creating wave after wave of chances. It is bases on eleven players running their socks off for each other.

The way I see it, he either will not do the things expected of him or just hasn't got it in him. He needs to have a good look at himself whilst warming his arse on that bench,.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    When things you try are not coming off, you try your damnedest to put it right.
    For example, if the fullback just will not be beaten or plays a high line stealing the ball seemingly with ease, forces you into a poor touch/pass, you try something different and change your game to suit.

All I ever see this bloke do is the same things over and over again, trying to run through his man and getting picked off at will. When it does break down, he has no intention of trying to win it back preferring instead to let one of his teammates do that.

There is zero fight in him, jumping out of every 50/50 challenge, sometimes 60/40 in his favour.

I'm sorry but there is no excusing JM the way he plays in our team.
    You don't need the technical knowledge of Sir Alex Ferguson to realise that our team is not based on talented offensive play, creating wave after wave of chances. It is bases on eleven players running their socks off for each other.

The way I see it, he either will not do the things expected of him or just hasn't got it in him. He needs to have a good look at himself whilst warming his arse on that bench,.
    The problem we have is that he doesn’t figure in any re-building plans but we would be lucky to get a couple of million for him in the summer.
    Where is the player we bought for £1m and is worth £4-5m ?
    A lot of other clubs can manage it but we seem to always go the opposite way.

Probably only worth 5 but because we went up the price doubled, was Willie mackay involved?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    I think he might be better with better players around him.
    He just doesn’t work with our players and the way we try to play.
    Put him in say a Leeds side and I think you’d see a different result.
    Sick of hearing this as an excuse for players who are not performing tbh.

You’d swear Glatzel and Murphy were
    Firminho and Mane the way people keep blaming the way we play on the system rather than the obvious flaws in their game.

Despite being optimistic, you don’t strike me as being irrational so if you paid a tenner on a pack of Monster Munch, I’d assume you’d have thought it was worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Sick of hearing this as an excuse for players who are not performing tbh.

You’d swear Glatzel and Murphy were
    Firminho and Mane the way people keep blaming the way we play on the system rather than the obvious flaws in their game.
    Tend to agree. The problem with Murphy is that he probably put in one of the best performances by a City player in the last 2-3 years in the PL home win against Fulham... he ran them effing ragged that day, he’s just never done it again. As for Glatzel, I’m still waiting for a chink of light