+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: VAR (again)

VAR (again)

What is so difficult to understand about "clear and obvious error".

The standard of our refereeing is at a pretty low level, doing it live is a difficult job but watching replays is a lot easier. Kevin Friend didn't have to decide whether it was a penalty or not but to decide if Mike Dean had made a "clear and obvious error" the fact that it took to minutes plus to make the decision says it all.

It's not brain surgery, is it.

Re: VAR (again)

They should give each team 2 challenges per game they are allowed to question the on field decision

I thought the Danny Ings shout for a penalty looked as though he was tripped just before Liverpool broke away and scored.
    I notice there wasn't discussion from the pundits on anything I watched, it was all aboit just how wonderful they are.

It may have been in that category of clear and obvious but if it had been any other teams involved I'm sure it would have been at least discussed.

Haven't changed my view on VAR, it still sucks!

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I thought the Danny Ings shout for a penalty looked as though he was tripped just before Liverpool broke away and scored.
    I notice there wasn't discussion from the pundits on anything I watched, it was all aboit just how wonderful they are.

It may have been in that category of clear and obvious but if it had been any other teams involved I'm sure it would have been at least discussed.

Haven't changed my view on VAR, it still sucks!
    General consensus on MotD was that the Ings one was a stonewall pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    General consensus on MotD was that the Ings one was a stonewall pen.
    Was it really? I didn't see MOTD.

Best sides get the decisions. Bit like before VAR came along then!

Heisenberg

Was it really? I didn't see MOTD.

Best sides get the decisions. Bit like before VAR came along then!
    They thought Firmino should have had a pen too - but I thought I'd better not mention it

They thought Firmino should have had a pen too - but I thought I'd better not mention it
    Perhaps they thought not giving it might even things up?
    City may have got a pen off them last season against Chelsea after their "equaliser" (if we'd have got anywhere near their box!)

Heisenberg

Perhaps they thought not giving it might even things up?
    City may have got a pen off them last season against Chelsea after their "equaliser" (if we'd have got anywhere near their box!)
    If I'm reading that right, it doesn't really tally with the "best sides get the decisions" if they're trying to "even things up" as the same time.

If I'm reading that right, it doesn't really tally with the "best sides get the decisions" if they're trying to "even things up" as the same time.
    Eh? I was in fact being sarcastic

Heisenberg

Eh? I was in fact being sarcastic
    It wasn't clear, sorry.

It wasn't clear, sorry.
    No probz

It's just that I've posted before about this VAR bollox.
    I really don't know who they think they are trying to fool, it's just think it's lip service.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    What is so difficult to understand about "clear and obvious error".

The standard of our refereeing is at a pretty low level, doing it live is a difficult job but watching replays is a lot easier. Kevin Friend didn't have to decide whether it was a penalty or not but to decide if Mike Dean had made a "clear and obvious error" the fact that it took to minutes plus to make the decision says it all.

It's not brain surgery, is it.
    The on-field referee is becoming just a token official. I laughed at the SKY [BT ?] commentator saying "whatever your views on VAR it was great entertainment ". Entertainment, yes. Football ? No.