+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our stadium

Our stadium

I see it so often that I'm pretty used to it but I was filling my car up at ASDA earlier and it struck me how absolutely mental looking it is, it's like a cross between a travel agents and a teenager's bedroom wall.

Are there any other stadiums out there that have so much stuff plastered on them?

Re: Our stadium

I'd rather that than just grey concrete

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    I'd rather that than just grey concrete
    I'm not saying I dislike it (apart from the cladding, never liked that), just saying that it's mental looking for the outside of a football stadium

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I'm not saying I dislike it (apart from the cladding, never liked that), just saying that it's mental looking for the outside of a football stadium
    I wonder what happens to the massive player posters that are fixed to the stadium once the player leaves? I reckon that they should be stuck onto the pine end of terraced houses in splott, bit like the murals in Northern ireland.

I don't mind it being plastered with sponsors and pictures of players - but that cladding is absolute shite and getting dirtier and cheaper looking with every season that passes - minging.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I wonder what happens to the massive player posters that are fixed to the stadium once the player leaves? I reckon that they should be stuck onto the pine end of terraced houses in splott, bit like the murals in Northern ireland.
    I notice there was never one of heart throb Tommy Smith up there, Sludge would have had his ladders down there rapido!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I notice there was never one of heart throb Tommy Smith up there, Sludge would have had his ladders down there rapido!!!!
    There'd be a queue, although Bacuna's a bit of a looker too, I've almost hit a lamp post many a time when driving down Sloper Road

Iconic images of former players would be a nice addition. There must be something they could do for the cladding.

There'd be a queue, although Bacuna's a bit of a looker too, I've almost hit a lamp post many a time when driving down Sloper Road
    There’s a huge one of Steve Cooper down The Liberty, unveiled every night after the 9pm watershed though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Iconic images of former players would be a nice addition. There must be something they could do for the cladding.
    Great suggestion, no need to replace them. Jack Evans, our first pro, Bartley Wilson obviously, Len Davies, Keenor, Hardy, Ferguson, Stan Richards, Fred Stansfield, Alan Harrington, the list is endless, would look great. Pictures of current players shouldn’t be up there in my opinion, your picture in lights should be earned.

Very good idea.

Great suggestion, no need to replace them. Jack Evans, our first pro, Bartley Wilson obviously, Len Davies, Keenor, Hardy, Ferguson, Stan Richards, Fred Stansfield, Alan Harrington, the list is endless, would look great. Pictures of current players shouldn’t be up there in my opinion, your picture in lights should be earned.
    It’s a nice sentiment, but how many people (myself included) would recognise them?
    Those pictures are advertising for the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    It’s a nice sentiment, but how many people (myself included) would recognise them?
    Those pictures are advertising for the kit.
    Are you serious???? The names I’ve mentioned are a huge part of the history of our club. If fans don’t recognise them perhaps they’ll ask and then be informed as to who they are and what they mean to the foundations of our club or shall we haul Fred’s statue down and put one up of Sean Morrison and rename the streets named after Brian Clark & Bartley Wilson? A lot of clubs cherish their history and have stands, hospitality rooms etc named after past club stalwarts, it’s a marvellous thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Not having a go but this is a bit of a silly thing to say, a 120 year old football club isn't just about who's currently playing

Are you serious???? The names I’ve mentioned are a huge part of the history of our club. If fans don’t recognise them perhaps they’ll ask and then be informed as to who they are and what they mean to the foundations of our club or shall we haul Fred’s statue down and put one up of Sean Morrison and rename the streets named after Brian Clark & Bartley Wilson? A lot of clubs cherish their history and have stands, hospitality rooms etc named after past club stalwarts, it’s a marvellous thing to do.
    I guess we should knock down the Keenor statue in favour of one of Marlon Pack, because people will recognise him!

Like the idea of a the pictures of a few legends externally although the current pics are income related as has been said.
    The programme has had pieces over the years of past players as have the lounges pictures of past players and glories as well as the concourse areas so I do think we cover everything in that respect.

As for the stadium itself, aesthetically I think is fine, for what is basically a bowl.
    The rain is a problem in a few areas but I believe it was delivered on a pretty tight budget.
    It has no restricted views and looks really good at when hosting night games.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    The rain is a problem in a few areas but I believe it was delivered on a pretty tight budget.
    Apparently, it was £48m.

I think it’s pretty good for the money spent, but I agree about the rain and wind at times.

It looks horrendous. Especially at night when there’s a game on inside.

MK dons stadium is one of the nicest I’ve seen.

To be honest, I couldn't name the squad that beat Real Madrid. Christ, with my memory, I'd find it a challenge to recall the complete line-up for the Cup final in 2008.

I'm for the idea of hanging massive canvasses of notable past players because it's nice gesture and gets people talking about the history of the club. I can imagine grandads taking their grandkids for the first time etc.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    To be honest, I couldn't name the squad that beat Real Madrid. Christ, with my memory, I'd find it a challenge to recall the complete line-up for the Cup final in 2008.
    +1

I'm for the idea of hanging massive canvasses of notable past players because it's nice gesture and gets people talking about the history of the club. I can imagine grandads taking their grandkids for the first time etc.
    +1

. Christ, with my memory, I'd find it a challenge to recall the complete line-up for the Cup final in 2008.

Jesus me too, let's give it a go.

Ledley

Jesus me too, let's give it a go.

Ledley
    Enckelman, Hasselbaink, McNaughton, Parry, Whittingham

I'd guess Rae and maybe Johnson/Purse?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Enckelman, Hasselbaink, McNaughton, Parry, Whittingham

I'd guess Rae and maybe Johnson/Purse?
    Just looked and it was

GK 1 Finland Peter Enckelman
    RB 2 Scotland Kevin McNaughton
    CB 12 England Roger Johnson
    CB 6 Netherlands Glenn Loovens
    LB 3 Northern Ireland Tony Capaldi
    RM 16 Wales Joe Ledley
    CM 4 Scotland Gavin Rae Substituted off 86'
    CM 10 Republic of Ireland Stephen McPhail (c)
    LM 7 England Peter Whittingham Substituted off 61'
    CF 36 Netherlands Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink Substituted off 70'
    CF 11 Wales Paul Parry

Substitutes:
    GK 13 England Michael Oakes
    DF 5 England Darren Purse
    MF 18 England Trevor Sinclair Substituted in 86'
    MF 30 Wales Aaron Ramsey Substituted in 61'
    FW 20 Scotland Steven Thompson

And before anyone starts banging on about how Ramsey should have started, he was a 17 year old kid then who although showed flashes of his talent, was nowhere near the player he'd become. Also it's not like he brought him on in the 85th minute

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I have one that size, of an ex-Cardiff Devils player.

It used to hang from the WNIR, when the Devils played in town. It’s from circa 2005.

I was friendly with the player, and he said he’d be interested when it came down (he’d gone back to live in Canada).

I won it at auction, boxed it up, and messaged him the postage was something like £50 to send.

He went quiet, and it’s been sat boxed up in my garage for over 13 years :(

Maybe I’ll hang it from my house!

Honest question and one that I think about when I dream of being our Chairman one day, what would you do to improve the stadium? Inside, outside, atmosphere etc.