+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The future HAS TO BE the Academy

The future HAS TO BE the Academy

If we aren't going to spend money then the future has to be the academy. It hasn't produced anything in 10 years but surely now this underperforming part of our club has to start producing results. There are signs players are coming through.

If the club can finally get this right we can maintain a promotion challenge without spending money but also change the ethos of the team from the boring football we currently endure.

Re: The future HAS TO BE the Academy

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    If we aren't going to spend money then the future has to be the academy. It hasn't produced anything in 10 years but surely now this underperforming part of our club has to start producing results. There are signs players are coming through.

If the club can finally get this right we can maintain a promotion challenge without spending money but also change the ethos of the team from the boring football we currently endure.
    I couldn't agree more.

It needs a big change in the line of thinking from those in charge at the club and the direction they want the club to go in.

I would also look outside the box in picking up youngsters who haven't quite made it at other academies also.
    Tom Sang looks like he has something about him. You can almost guarantee that a lad who has missed out narrowly at a club like United has the basics in relation to professionalism and a good technical standard at the age they leave and if we aren't producing them ourselves then maybe looking at other higher class academy drop outs is another avenue.

Agree that unless we can find a multi Billionaire ( Tan is only worth 600m) we must get a category 1 Academy so that we produce our own and the bigger clubs can’t poach our youngsters. Costs are apparently about 4m/year peanuts to what we had spent in the last 3 years( 100m quoted by Board)? Future Bales, Ramsey ‘s, Bellamy ‘s would them stay with us, put Osian Roberts in charge? He’s found some future stars for Wales? Brooke’s,Mepham,James etc

What's worrying is south wales has a depth of young footballing talent

The trouble is either swansea get them or they feck off elsewhere

Very worrying

Unless we become Cat 1 it's a monumental waste of time.

I agree.

Years ago I remember listening to Tan talking about Swansea signing Michu. He was adamant that, because the Jacks had only spent £2m or so on him, clubs didn't need to spend lots of money on finding great players.

I think that if you've got the contacts and scouts and staff who are in the know, you can pull transfer rabbits out of the hat. We clearly haven't, most of our transfers have a reverse Midas about them. But it makes me wonder whether Tan enjoys the wheeling and dealing and is waiting for that first bargain that ends up being worth mega money?

The reason I say that is to try and place where, in Tan's eyes, an academy holds as much interest to him as buying and selling. He's a man that seems to demand quick success - impossible for an academy.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Very worrying
    More kids by me training with Swansea now.

Know 2 at city and their dad is a Jack, so I'm going to assume they didn't make the cut at the jack's, as they would have gone there as a first choice obviously. So even from an early age we are getting the hand-me-downs.

(Nobody knows how they will develop of course)

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Unless we become Cat 1 it's a monumental waste of time.
    I’d say becoming Cat 1 and not using them is a bigger waste of time.

I was so glad to see Sang and JB on the pitch against Reading

I don’t think all that rubbish with Craig Bellamy helped mind either!

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

How'd they look?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    How'd they look?
    Ive only seen the extended highlights but everyone who was there said they played well

Totally agree.. ...Baldy bastartd for manager

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Totally agree.. ...Baldy bastartd for manager
    Lol. Thank you Sir.

Ive only seen the extended highlights but everyone who was there said they played well
    Bagan sounded good on what I heard on the radio didn't hear first half. Forgot to check the extended highlights, probably get the 2 halfs on there as well.

True.

There needs to be an overhaul of personnel if we are have any success with our academy. If Dalman can’t hire proper football people to be in charge of our first team recruitment then lord help us if we were to actually try and use our academy.

Yes I was too, Harris giving minutes to these young players is a breath of fresh air, I hope can kick in from here

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Very worrying
    But they are about to lose cat 1. We should invest, we can then nick anyone they produced who are mainly all from Cardiff anyway. You’d think Tan would love it, half a Gary madine and you are almost there, he hates agents and you can’t buy anything decent for under 10 million anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    But they are about to lose cat 1. We should invest, we can then nick anyone they produced who are mainly all from Cardiff anyway. You’d think Tan would love it, half a Gary madine and you are almost there, he hates agents and you can’t buy anything decent for under 10 million anyway.
    The Vincent Tan coaching manual. Imagine!

"Page 1: Goalkeepers.

1. Must shoot more often".

-the end-

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    The Vincent Tan coaching manual. Imagine!

"Page 1: Goalkeepers.

1. Must shoot more often".

-the end-
    Does your lad understand football? How old is he and how long has he been watching us?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Does your lad understand football? How old is he and how long has he been watching us?
    Weird, off tangent reply

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Weird, off tangent reply
    Definitely not, there's a point to it.

Tan has probably owned this club longer than your lad has been watching, I'd guess.
    Yet you'll champion his enthusiasm and understanding.

Anyone who watched football for 7 years will understand it. It's really a cheap shot at Tan to say otherwise.