+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: City superfan Phillip Schofield comes out as gay

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: City superfan Phillip Schofield comes out as gay

How come no-one ever declares themself heterosexual accompanied with a fanfare of hugs and air kisses all round? It's only ever those who prefer backdoor deliveries who feel the need to publicly announce their sexual preferences.

And why is it always celebrities who do so? Wayne Whatshisname from Wolverhampton or Nigel Nobody from Nottingham never have an opportunity to tell the rest of us on TV of their nob-gobbling proclivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    How come no-one ever declares themself heterosexual accompanied with a fanfare of hugs and air kisses all round? It's only ever those who prefer backdoor deliveries who feel the need to publicly announce their sexual preferences.

And why is it always celebrities who do so? Wayne Whatshisname from Wolverhampton or Nigel Nobody from Nottingham never have an opportunity to tell the rest of us on TV of their nob-gobbling proclivity.
    Non celebs do come out to family and friends though. heterosexual people don't come out because it's always been seen as the norm. Gay people come out because for some reason it's still seen as shocking to friends and family to just find out so it lets that person live openly without having to hide a huge part of their lives from those close to them.

And it's good celebs coming out because it normalises it for other gay people to come out and makes others less opposed to it.

Gay people still get assaulted by straight people for being gay fairly often, so the more it can be normalised and stop things like this happening the better.

SuperBluebirds91

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Non celebs do come out to family and friends though. heterosexual people don't come out because it's always been seen as the norm. Gay people come out because for some reason it's still seen as shocking to friends and family to just find out so it lets that person live openly without having to hide a huge part of their lives from those close to them.

And it's good celebs coming out because it normalises it for other gay people to come out and makes others less opposed to it.

Gay people still get assaulted by straight people for being gay fairly often, so the more it can be normalised and stop things like this happening the better.
    Probably the most reasonable and factual response I’ve ever heard to this topic.
    It does make me laugh when I here people say why can’t we have a straight pride or why are there rainbows painted over zebra crossings, police cars or in the local fire station? That’s actually very offensive really to even say that - straight people have been celebrated since the beginning of time and accepted in society. They can be open in public, not have to live a lie or hide who they are through fear of getting assaulted, have the law on their side, not work in fear of work place discrimination or getting fired for being gay, not have to worry about getting disowned by your family. The list goes on and on and on and people wonder why LGBT community needs to celebrate now..because it’s becoming more accepted and people are showinsupport for many who grew up in a dangerous environment years ago.

I like this quote that someone posted on Facebook a while back - Gay pride wasn’t born out of a need to celebrate being gay, but the right to exist without persecution. So instead of wondering why there isn’t a straight pride, be thankful you don’t need one.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBluebirds91 View Post
    Probably the most reasonable and factual response I’ve ever heard to this topic.
    It does make me laugh when I here people say why can’t we have a straight pride or why are there rainbows painted over zebra crossings, police cars or in the local fire station? That’s actually very offensive really to even say that - straight people have been celebrated since the beginning of time and accepted in society. They can be open in public, not have to live a lie or hide who they are through fear of getting assaulted, have the law on their side, not work in fear of work place discrimination or getting fired for being gay, not have to worry about getting disowned by your family. The list goes on and on and on and people wonder why LGBT community needs to celebrate now..because it’s becoming more accepted and people are showinsupport for many who grew up in a dangerous environment years ago.

I like this quote that someone posted on Facebook a while back - Gay pride wasn’t born out of a need to celebrate being gay, but the right to exist without persecution. So instead of wondering why there isn’t a straight pride, be thankful you don’t need one.
    Couldn't have said it better

I think the main reason people get annoyed is as straight peope we don't comprehend how difficult it is to be gay in society even now.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Couldn't have said it better

I think the main reason people get annoyed is as straight peope we don't comprehend how difficult it is to be gay in society even now.
    I think it's fair to guess that pretty much all of the people who say it's no big deal, why is it rammed down our throat, etc have never asked a gay person what it's like. Just assumed that they already know and understand.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I think it's fair to guess that pretty much all of the people who say it's no big deal, why is it rammed down our throat, etc have never asked a gay person what it's like. Just assumed that they already know and understand.
    Yeah that's how it is, one of my best mates came out as gay recently and he seems like a weight has been lifted. I can't imagine having to keep such a big part of you secret for 30 odd years. And that's without considering when we were at school "That's gay" and "you're gay" were acceptable insults. So not only are you hiding something but it's seen as something negative enough to be an insult.

Can I take it that you're a homophobe?

Absolutely agree.....all this congratulatory stuff......if you are that way inclined just keep it to yourself and whoever you are with....

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Absolutely agree.....all this congratulatory stuff......if you are that way inclined just keep it to yourself and whoever you are with....
    I'm sure he'd love to but Philip Schofield is pretty famous in the UK and if he left his wife and got together with a man then it'd be all over the news, he'd have press doorstepping him and his family, it'd be chaos during an already emotionally tough time. He's doing it this way to own and control the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I'm sure he'd love to but Philip Schofield is pretty famous in the UK and if he left his wife and got together with a man then it'd be all over the news, he'd have press doorstepping him and his family, it'd be chaos during an already emotionally tough time. He's doing it this way to own and control the conversation.
    He comes out on telly everyone loves him, Barrymore came out in a gay bar, everyone hated him? ( I know he has since gone on to much controversy, but treated completely differently)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebina View Post
    He comes out on telly everyone loves him, Barrymore came out in a gay bar, everyone hated him? ( I know he has since gone on to much controversy, but treated completely differently)
    I was only 12 when that happened so can't remember the reaction to Barrymore coming out but I've just had a google and it seems that no one hated him, in fact he was well supported by the public:

Despite the news, Barrymore's popularity didn't wane with the public.

Liddiment added: "The vast majority of the public accepted him for who he was. His audience were way ahead of the tabloids. He was just as authentic to them."

In the first awards ceremony after Barrymore came out, the National Television Awards, he won all three categories he was nominated in, including most popular entertainment presenter.

He insisted he had "no regrets" and paid tribute to his supporters, adding "my fans have been marvellous".

In an emotional acceptance speech, Barrymore said: "I’d like to say it isn’t what happens to you in your life it’s uh, how you deal with it.

"And when you have the support and love of a nation, then no problem apart from death, is unsolvable."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/...riage-21429304