+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: City superfan Phillip Schofield comes out as gay

Re: City superfan Phillip Schofield comes out as gay

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    A couple of years ago my dad rang me in a fit of rage. He'd been into a card shop to look for a wedding card. Whilst browsing through a few columns of wedding cards, he found one for a Mr and Mr. That, according to him, was ramming homosexuality down his throat. Bizarre.
    different generations, as time goes on, opinions change and most under 40 now really dont care what you do with whoever

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    different generations, as time goes on, opinions change and most under 40 now really dont care what you do with whoever
    This isn't true I'm afraid there is still tons of homophobia amongst the under 40s, it's why so many people don't come out.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    The whole crusade of people like Owen Jones and his gang on Twitter. Non-binary and all the other bull shit that people are pushing these days.

Every time you watch a debate on politics you'll find someone on the left (and I like to think of myself on the left) getting all upset and having a hissy about something someone said.

Owen Jones is the worst of them all along with that Ash Sarkur. They can never appear on anything without being offended.

Yet if someone who thinks as they do is being offensive that's fine. It's a load of shit.
    This doesn't even seem to be related other than Owen Jones being gay.

SuperBluebirds91

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Non celebs do come out to family and friends though. heterosexual people don't come out because it's always been seen as the norm. Gay people come out because for some reason it's still seen as shocking to friends and family to just find out so it lets that person live openly without having to hide a huge part of their lives from those close to them.

And it's good celebs coming out because it normalises it for other gay people to come out and makes others less opposed to it.

Gay people still get assaulted by straight people for being gay fairly often, so the more it can be normalised and stop things like this happening the better.
    Probably the most reasonable and factual response I’ve ever heard to this topic.
    It does make me laugh when I here people say why can’t we have a straight pride or why are there rainbows painted over zebra crossings, police cars or in the local fire station? That’s actually very offensive really to even say that - straight people have been celebrated since the beginning of time and accepted in society. They can be open in public, not have to live a lie or hide who they are through fear of getting assaulted, have the law on their side, not work in fear of work place discrimination or getting fired for being gay, not have to worry about getting disowned by your family. The list goes on and on and on and people wonder why LGBT community needs to celebrate now..because it’s becoming more accepted and people are showinsupport for many who grew up in a dangerous environment years ago.

I like this quote that someone posted on Facebook a while back - Gay pride wasn’t born out of a need to celebrate being gay, but the right to exist without persecution. So instead of wondering why there isn’t a straight pride, be thankful you don’t need one.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBluebirds91 View Post
    Probably the most reasonable and factual response I’ve ever heard to this topic.
    It does make me laugh when I here people say why can’t we have a straight pride or why are there rainbows painted over zebra crossings, police cars or in the local fire station? That’s actually very offensive really to even say that - straight people have been celebrated since the beginning of time and accepted in society. They can be open in public, not have to live a lie or hide who they are through fear of getting assaulted, have the law on their side, not work in fear of work place discrimination or getting fired for being gay, not have to worry about getting disowned by your family. The list goes on and on and on and people wonder why LGBT community needs to celebrate now..because it’s becoming more accepted and people are showinsupport for many who grew up in a dangerous environment years ago.

I like this quote that someone posted on Facebook a while back - Gay pride wasn’t born out of a need to celebrate being gay, but the right to exist without persecution. So instead of wondering why there isn’t a straight pride, be thankful you don’t need one.
    Couldn't have said it better

I think the main reason people get annoyed is as straight peope we don't comprehend how difficult it is to be gay in society even now.

I think the main reason people get annoyed is as straight peope we don't comprehend how difficult it is to be gay in society even now.
    I think it's fair to guess that pretty much all of the people who say it's no big deal, why is it rammed down our throat, etc have never asked a gay person what it's like. Just assumed that they already know and understand.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I don't advocate anyone getting victimized in any way but I'm also fed up to the back teeth of being told what I should believe and seeing people on TV in their little bubble shouting "how dare you" at people who dare to think differently to them.
    What are you even upset about? Who’s told you what you should think? You’re completely allowed to think what you want. But certain people who have hateful views deserved to be challenged on them.

Isn’t it possible that it isn’t a black and white situation and him and his wife are both victims in this? He’s struggled with his sexuality because of how gay people are seen in society (especially 20 years ago) and his wife has had to deal with her husband coming out as gay.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I think it's fair to guess that pretty much all of the people who say it's no big deal, why is it rammed down our throat, etc have never asked a gay person what it's like. Just assumed that they already know and understand.
    Yeah that's how it is, one of my best mates came out as gay recently and he seems like a weight has been lifted. I can't imagine having to keep such a big part of you secret for 30 odd years. And that's without considering when we were at school "That's gay" and "you're gay" were acceptable insults. So not only are you hiding something but it's seen as something negative enough to be an insult.

This confused me a little.... your use of ‘we’ makes it sound like you get annoyed. Feels a little incongruous with the point you’re trying to make? May have just been bad use of language I guess.👍

You don’t have to guess... that’s NOT fair.... just ask, and you’ll immediately be better informed

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    You don’t have to guess... that’s NOT fair.... just ask, and you’ll immediately be better informed
    It's a figure of speech, but fine. Question is open to everyone, particularly those who don't want to hear gay people talk about their sexuality.

Have you ever spoken to a gay person about their sexuality?

It's a figure of speech, but fine. Question is open to everyone, particularly those who don't want to hear gay people talk about their sexuality.

That's a pretty broad question, what do you mean by "spoken about?"

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    This confused me a little.... your use of ‘we’ makes it sound like you get annoyed. Feels a little incongruous with the point you’re trying to make? May have just been bad use of language I guess.��
    I think it's the right use because I don't understand first hand how difficult it is to be gay in society. I don't think it's really important within the context of the thread either way tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    That's a pretty broad question, what do you mean by "spoken about?"
    Every time someone famous comes out, people are falling over themselves to say what's the big deal, why are they making a fuss, etc etc. In fact, that usually drags it out longer than anything else (this thread is nearly a week old).

I'm not gay so for me it's very difficult to understand how difficult it is to firstly keep it quiet for years, and secondly decide to tell people. Because of that, I wouldn't comment on how they choose to do it.

If you're uncomfortable hearing someone talk about how they're gay, then it probably follows that you've never spoken with a gay person about what it's like to come out. It's a vicious circle. No one wants to be told what they should do by someone who doesn't really understand it (I'm sure this has happened to everyone at work at some time, for example).

Every time someone famous comes out, people are falling over themselves to say what's the big deal, why are they making a fuss, etc etc. In fact, that usually drags it out longer than anything else (this thread is nearly a week old).

I'm not gay so for me it's very difficult to understand how difficult it is to firstly keep it quiet for years, and secondly decide to tell people. Because of that, I wouldn't comment on how they choose to do it.

If you're uncomfortable hearing someone talk about how they're gay, then it probably follows that you've never spoken with a gay person about what it's like to come out. It's a vicious circle. No one wants to be told what they should do by someone who doesn't really understand it (I'm sure this has happened to everyone at work at some time, for example).
    Ah gotcha. In that case yes I have spoken to a gay person about their sexuality

That’s why I challenged your post...

I think it's the right use because I don't understand first hand how difficult it is to be gay in society. I don't think it's really important within the context of the thread either way tbh.
    So do you get annoyed then?

And I think it’s important in how I’ve contextualised the thread tbh

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Mother is in her 60s and gets in her soap box about stuff like that, also about there should only be 2 genders and a host of other things that are making kids weak today.

She was never like that when I was growing up. Some people grow old and get bitter.