+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: City superfan Phillip Schofield comes out as gay

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: City superfan Phillip Schofield comes out as gay

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I read both sides to attempt to form a more balanced opinion. If I just read one side it's easy to have all your views shaped with no counter argument.
    Absolutely. But if you choose to read both sides don't then complain about the fact that you hear a lot from one side. You choose how much you hear from either side

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Why aren't they both victims to a certain extent? Schofield is 57 years old and 27 years ago LGBTQ+ rights were not as they are now, although progress still needs to be made. For context in 1994 (so one year after he got married):

1994 – The Conservative Member of Parliament Edwina Currie introduced an amendment to lower the age of consent for homosexual acts, from 21 to 16 in line with that for heterosexual acts. The vote was defeated and the gay male age of consent was instead lowered to 18. The lesbian age of consent was not set. Charity Save the Children dropped lesbian Sandi Toksvig as compere of its 75th-anniversary celebrations after she came out

That's the world he was living in when he was deceiving his wife as well as potentially himself. If you think about him as a teenager and becoming an adult then it occurs somewhere between the Labour party refusing to stand by Maureen Colquhoun after she came out as a lesbian and stories about aids would have been starting to hit the newspapers. I'm certainly not saying he's a hero just because he's come out, Caitlyn Jenner continued to support Trump after coming out which appears a wanky move really, but think we can recognise it's a brave thing to do. There was a tweet not so long ago about seeing people peeling off stickers from London Pride on the tube so they didn't get judged/attacked further away from the event so whether something that would happen or a perception of something that would happen there is clearly progress still to be made.
    Save the children , christian aid , very conservative , with a small and in many cases big C

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight View Post
    Since his initial coming out, I haven't seen shit about Schofield when I'm browsing the news.

If people are shouting "it's all I'm reading/seeing!" then they must be seeking out this news about him just to moan about it. Weirdo's.
    A couple of years ago my dad rang me in a fit of rage. He'd been into a card shop to look for a wedding card. Whilst browsing through a few columns of wedding cards, he found one for a Mr and Mr. That, according to him, was ramming homosexuality down his throat. Bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    A couple of years ago my dad rang me in a fit of rage. He'd been into a card shop to look for a wedding card. Whilst browsing through a few columns of wedding cards, he found one for a Mr and Mr. That, according to him, was ramming homosexuality down his throat. Bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    different generations, as time goes on, opinions change and most under 40 now really dont care what you do with whoever

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    different generations, as time goes on, opinions change and most under 40 now really dont care what you do with whoever
    This isn't true I'm afraid there is still tons of homophobia amongst the under 40s, it's why so many people don't come out.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I don't advocate anyone getting victimized in any way but I'm also fed up to the back teeth of being told what I should believe and seeing people on TV in their little bubble shouting "how dare you" at people who dare to think differently to them.
    What are you even upset about? Who’s told you what you should think? You’re completely allowed to think what you want. But certain people who have hateful views deserved to be challenged on them.

Isn’t it possible that it isn’t a black and white situation and him and his wife are both victims in this? He’s struggled with his sexuality because of how gay people are seen in society (especially 20 years ago) and his wife has had to deal with her husband coming out as gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Couldn't have said it better

I think the main reason people get annoyed is as straight peope we don't comprehend how difficult it is to be gay in society even now.
    This confused me a little.... your use of ‘we’ makes it sound like you get annoyed. Feels a little incongruous with the point you’re trying to make? May have just been bad use of language I guess.👍

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    This confused me a little.... your use of ‘we’ makes it sound like you get annoyed. Feels a little incongruous with the point you’re trying to make? May have just been bad use of language I guess.��
    I think it's the right use because I don't understand first hand how difficult it is to be gay in society. I don't think it's really important within the context of the thread either way tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I think it's fair to guess that pretty much all of the people who say it's no big deal, why is it rammed down our throat, etc have never asked a gay person what it's like. Just assumed that they already know and understand.
    You don’t have to guess... that’s NOT fair.... just ask, and you’ll immediately be better informed

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    You don’t have to guess... that’s NOT fair.... just ask, and you’ll immediately be better informed
    It's a figure of speech, but fine. Question is open to everyone, particularly those who don't want to hear gay people talk about their sexuality.

Have you ever spoken to a gay person about their sexuality?

It's a figure of speech, but fine. Question is open to everyone, particularly those who don't want to hear gay people talk about their sexuality.

That's a pretty broad question, what do you mean by "spoken about?"

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    That's a pretty broad question, what do you mean by "spoken about?"
    Every time someone famous comes out, people are falling over themselves to say what's the big deal, why are they making a fuss, etc etc. In fact, that usually drags it out longer than anything else (this thread is nearly a week old).

I'm not gay so for me it's very difficult to understand how difficult it is to firstly keep it quiet for years, and secondly decide to tell people. Because of that, I wouldn't comment on how they choose to do it.

If you're uncomfortable hearing someone talk about how they're gay, then it probably follows that you've never spoken with a gay person about what it's like to come out. It's a vicious circle. No one wants to be told what they should do by someone who doesn't really understand it (I'm sure this has happened to everyone at work at some time, for example).

Every time someone famous comes out, people are falling over themselves to say what's the big deal, why are they making a fuss, etc etc. In fact, that usually drags it out longer than anything else (this thread is nearly a week old).

I'm not gay so for me it's very difficult to understand how difficult it is to firstly keep it quiet for years, and secondly decide to tell people. Because of that, I wouldn't comment on how they choose to do it.

If you're uncomfortable hearing someone talk about how they're gay, then it probably follows that you've never spoken with a gay person about what it's like to come out. It's a vicious circle. No one wants to be told what they should do by someone who doesn't really understand it (I'm sure this has happened to everyone at work at some time, for example).
    Ah gotcha. In that case yes I have spoken to a gay person about their sexuality

That’s why I challenged your post...

I think it's the right use because I don't understand first hand how difficult it is to be gay in society. I don't think it's really important within the context of the thread either way tbh.
    So do you get annoyed then?

And I think it’s important in how I’ve contextualised the thread tbh

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Mother is in her 60s and gets in her soap box about stuff like that, also about there should only be 2 genders and a host of other things that are making kids weak today.

She was never like that when I was growing up. Some people grow old and get bitter.