+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Swansea City losses

Swansea City losses

Sorry for posting a Swansea thread on this board but there have been a lot of their 'fans' criticising us in the last few weeks. So I though we may want to compare our position with theirs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51415759

They have announced a loss again, and have now made losses for the last three seasons, so maybe they can get off their high horses and realise both clubs are struggling. The statements by Birch in the BBC thread do not sound encouraging.

The difference seems to be that at our club, Vincent Tan financially supports the club and writes of debt, interest etc which subsidises losses, whilst at the same time cutting costs. Down West they seem to have owners who just want to cut the costs, despite selling everything they can. I think the figures showing the income post PL parachute payments are a huge eye opener.
    Both us and them have parachute payments ending at the end of next season.

It goes to show that both clubs have an absolute need, financially, to get back in to the PL but neither can afford, or wish to spend the money, to do so.

Some more belt tightening for us too.

It does demonstrate that even with the huge amounts of money a club gets by achieving PL status, all of in goes on transfers fees, inflated agent fees, bigger salaries, more staff etc, and none of it retained.

It begs the question is it better to just plod along where we are? all I want to see is game of entertaining football on a Saturday/Tuesday and see some decent football. In the Pl I just turn up and watch us get hammered most of the time.

The reason i post this is that on this board there are certain fans of that lot who consistently argue the toss about everything why Swansea is a bigger club than Cardiff, which we all know isn't true. They don't convince us but maybe it helps with their inferiority complex. And they know if they go up their owners will milk the club dry!

They'll be on here soon defending themselves yet again, so if mods feel they want to delete this please do so. But I really don't like them at all.

Re: Swansea City losses

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Sorry for posting a Swansea thread on this board but there have been a lot of their 'fans' criticising us in the last few weeks. So I though we may want to compare our position with theirs.

They have announced a loss again, and have now made losses for the last three seasons, so maybe they can get off their high horses and realise both clubs are struggling. The statements by Birch in the BBC thread do not sound encouraging.

The difference seems to be that at our club, Vincent Tan financially supports the club and writes of debt, interest etc which subsidises losses, whilst at the same time cutting costs. Down West they seem to have owners who just want to cut the costs, despite selling everything they can. I think the figures showing the income post PL parachute payments are a huge eye opener.

It goes to show that both clubs have an absolute need, financially, to get back in to the PL but neither can afford, or wish to spend the money, to do so.

It does demonstrate that even with the huge amounts of money a club gets by achieving PL status, all of in goes on transfers fees, inflated agent fees, bigger salaries, more staff etc, and none of it retained.

It begs the question is it better to just plod along where we are? all I want to see is game of entertaining football on a Saturday/Tuesday and see some decent football. In the Pl I just turn up and watch us get hammered most of the time.

The reason i post this is that on this board there are certain fans of that lot who consistently argue the toss about everything why Swansea is a bigger club than Cardiff, which we all know isn't true. They don't convince us but maybe it helps with their inferiority complex. And they know if they go up their owners will milk the club dry!

They'll be on here soon defending themselves yet again, so if mods feel they want to delete this please do so. But I really don't like them at all.
    Tbh, the jacks who still occasionally post here seem a reasonable lot and I can't really recall them banging on about their club in recent times. At least not since Pentup packed his bags.

Perhaps its time we merged these two footballing giants to eradicate their financial worries.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Perhaps its time we merged these two footballing giants to eradicate their financial worries.
    Was it Terry Matthews who suggested Swansea should be rebranded as Cardiff?

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Was it Terry Matthews who suggested Swansea should be rebranded as Cardiff?
    Sam the Man also trumpeted something similar , wanted too use a Celtic flag,calling us South Wales or something like that??

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post

90% of their income went on wages, it’s just not a sustainable model. You try to keep up, spend more, entice more with longer contracts, one bad season and it could be the end of the club. Selling James and mcpikey basically saved them for now.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    90% of their income went on wages, it’s just not a sustainable model. You try to keep up, spend more, entice more with longer contracts, one bad season and it could be the end of the club. Selling James and mcpikey basically saved them for now.
    That's madness.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Sam the Man also trumpeted something similar , wanted too use a Celtic flag,calling us South Wales or something like that??
    And create a franchise to play in Dublin

Cardiff Celts, wasn't it? Wanted us to play in red, obviously that kind of thing would never happen...

This is a great article on Sam's plans: https://www.theguardian.com/football...wsstory.sport2

"We can aspire to compete with Bristol City or Birmingham, maybe even Coventry"