+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A decent win today..

A decent win today..

Against a team that certainly didn't look bottom of the table for 35 minutes of the 1st half, although Harris had us playing way to deep in the first half and allowed Luton to get on the ball way to often. He realised that in the second half and we caused them problems playing a higher midfield line. It took another bit of quality from Tomlin to make the difference, that's a bit of a worry because there doesn't seem to be anyone else capable of producing that little bit of quality. Adomah put in several decent crosses today and Bennett chipped in with one or two but there was nobody in a position to capitalise and when the second ball came out to a city player there was a severe lack of quality in the finish.

Good debut from Adomah, showed composure and lifted his head up when he had the ball at his feet, he looks like he has the ability to deliver a good ball, we need players on the end of them or midfielders anticipating the second balls.

Re: A decent win today..

Great win against a side fighting for their lives

Now we need to go on a run and gain some confidence

Clean sheet too. Even though Luton are bottom they do score goals at home. 23 in 14 before today.

Away win with a clean sheet and a superb goal from the magic man. Got to be happy with that.

Cmon the City

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Against a team that certainly didn't look bottom of the table for 35 minutes of the 1st half, although Harris had us playing way to deep in the first half and allowed Luton to get on the ball way to often. He realised that in the second half and we caused them problems playing a higher midfield line. It took another bit of quality from Tomlin to make the difference, that's a bit of a worry because there doesn't seem to be anyone else capable of producing that little bit of quality. Adomah put in several decent crosses today and Bennett chipped in with one or two but there was nobody in a position to capitalise and when the second ball came out to a city player there was a severe lack of quality in the finish.

Good debut from Adomah, showed composure and lifted his head up when he had the ball at his feet, he looks like he has the ability to deliver a good ball, we need players on the end of them or midfielders anticipating the second balls.
    I thought that Luton looked poor throughout even after that first 15 mins of pressure from
    us immediately after KO.

Aside from Nelson’s 2 mistakes and that scramble at the far end at the death they never looked like scoring (then again neither did we! But at least we pinned them in their half especially in the 2nd half)

Agree with the rest though 👍

A fit ralls would make such a difference to the midfield

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    A fit ralls would make such a difference to the midfield
    It really would.

I think that we got away with Vaulks and Pack today due to the opposition not being particularly good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    It really would.

I think that we got away with Vaulks and Pack today due to the opposition not being particularly good.
    It's unlikely we will make the play offs , we need to go on a heck of a run to gain confidence and even get there .....and even then we might get stuffed

But we have to have a go , we shot up four places today , all hope is not lost .....what we need now is consistency

It really would.

Vaulks really lacks quality, on a couple of occasions the ball came out to him after an attack and he was so wasteful with the ball, he really does lack composure although he does work hard.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It's unlikely we will make the play offs , we need to go on a heck of a run to gain confidence and even get there .....and even then we might get stuffed

But we have to have a go , we shot up four places today , all hope is not lost .....what we need now is consistency
    And a centre forward.......;-)

Vaulks really lacks quality, on a couple of occasions the ball came out to him after an attack and he was so wasteful with the ball, he really does lack composure although he does work hard.
    Agree with that. His work rate almost compensates for the way that Pack slows the game down.

That said, Pack was OK today bar a couple of shocking crosses/free kicks, but then again he wasn’t the only guilty party 🙈

Agree with that. His work rate almost compensates for the way that Pack slows the game down.

That said, Pack was OK today bar a couple of shocking crosses/free kicks, but then again he wasn’t the only guilty party ��
    Thank god for Tomlin, a couple of moments of real quality today, without them, i think that we'd be looking at things from a different perspective. It's still not great, we struggle to keep the ball and lack fluidity, alot of our play seems laboured and contrived, it's not natural. A good win though.

That's perfectly true. Not good enough I'm afraid. I'm also sorry to say that our defence is totally inadequate which wasn't helped by the generally reliable Curtis having an off game.
    The elephant in the room, I'm afraid, is that Richards cannot defend and much as I wish the boy well I don't know why the manager can't see that. He's a liability and that's so obvious that I don't know why he keeps getting picked.

Overall the standard now is far short of what we need and unlikely to achieve much. There's no clear plan or theme and if we keep treading water like this morale will inevitably dissappear, which could lead to the wrong end if the table quite quickly. I'm finding it hard to see what exactly this manager is trying to do other than get away with it on a week to week basis

Thank god for Tomlin, a couple of moments of real quality today, without them, i think that we'd be looking at things from a different perspective. It's still not great, we struggle to keep the ball and lack fluidity, alot of our play seems laboured and contrived, it's not natural. A good win though.
    Bang on.

Tomlin’s contributions are rather masking issues that have been around for a while with this team.

Bang on.

Tomlin’s contributions are rather masking issues that have been around for a while with this team.
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    That's perfectly true. Not good enough I'm afraid. I'm also sorry to say that our defence is totally inadequate which wasn't helped by the generally reliable Curtis having an off game.
    The elephant in the room, I'm afraid, is that Richards cannot defend and much as I wish the boy well I don't know why the manager can't see that. He's a liability and that's so obvious that I don't know why he keeps getting picked.

Overall the standard now is far short of what we need and unlikely to achieve much. There's no clear plan or theme and if we keep treading water like this morale will inevitably dissappear, which could lead to the wrong end if the table quite quickly. I'm finding it hard to see what exactly this manager is trying to do other than get away with it on a week to week basis
    In so far as you can only beat what is in front of you, Jazz was fine today (unlike at QPR for example)

I think that today was a victory that we should have expected against the team that is bottom of the table, achieved in a not very inspirational manner but won by an international player.

Thanks for the report BD.
    How was Josh Murphy today out of interest, seeing as he seemed to have won over one or two the other night for his performance against Reading?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Thanks for the report BD.
    How was Josh Murphy today out of interest, seeing as he seemed to have won over one or two the other night for his performance against Reading?
    Poor, and made to look worse as Adomah on the opposite wing had a good game continually taking on his man and looking composed.

Josh was subbed in the second half for Junior.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    That's perfectly true. Not good enough I'm afraid. I'm also sorry to say that our defense is totally inadequate which wasn't helped by the generally reliable Curtis having an off game.

Overall the standard is far short of what we need and unlikely to achieve much. There's no clear plan or theme and if we keep treading water like this morale will inevitably disappear, which could lead to the wrong end if the table quite quickly. I'm finding it hard to see what exactly this manager is trying to do other than get away with it on a week to week basis
    I think your right about our poor defense , when we dropped down its was supposed to be our strength , however Morrison and Bennett has been shadows of what they can be or do , Bamba is way too old , Manga has left ,Etheridge cannot distribute well ,l and he introduces panic into our defenders when they are looking to pass back to him in tight spots m then he kicks it to the opposition or into touch .

Pelt's was a good full back , who lacked the ability to get forward effectually , and has aged .

Brad Smith may add some stability in this area .

As for Richards he is only just getting a run ( he has been out for nearly two years ) I do think he is a decent player , he's just under pressure , as is Nelson who was applying his trade at a lower level last year , in my humble view he has been rushed in to quick ,but has done well , at least he looks up and can pass an go forward , as does Richards .

That leaves us with Flint ,very tall ,looks dangerous in the opposition box , able to attack the ball well ,but is prone to error as a last line defender , yes I' know every defender is prone to that as there's no second chance after an error ,having played the position myself for many years , its a very unforgiving position .

However our midfield can be bad in possession which adds to the defenses woes , we need to be on the front foot going forward not losing the ball in critical areas , then watch our defenders having yet run back and recover the loss .

3 wins off top two after a pretty ordinary performance against a side already doomed.
    Bonkers!

Quote Originally Posted by Madassa View Post
    3 wins off top two after a pretty ordinary performance against a side already doomed.
    Bonkers!
    thats the championship ,plenty of time for it all to change ,bad weather , injuries etc etc

If we can just remember how to defend for the run in we should probably make top 6.
    But I don't think we've got enough unless our new fullbacks prove to be better than what we've already got.

Poor, and made to look worse as Adomah on the opposite wing had a good game continually taking on his man and looking composed.

Josh was subbed in the second half for Junior.

I'm sorry to hear that, if not surprised.
    We could have done with a bit of a job share with Junior moving into the business end of the season, although Whyte will have a say too I'm sure.

Bang on.

I think we'd be in the bottom six without him.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

I'm sorry to hear that, if not surprised.
    We could have done with a bit of a job share with Junior moving into the business end of the season, although Whyte will have a say too I'm sure.
    Yeah, I have often thought that he is a confidence player but having done well so recently I expected more from him today.

He does look low on confidence and loses possession more than most which is so frustrating to watch (and seems to annoy his team mates as well, understandably) as I’m sure that he is talented.

That said he has been here long enough now for people’s patience to be worn thin.

It really would.