+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What do we want - performances or results?

What do we want - performances or results?

After a day like today where we start to consider the possibility of the playoffs again, we have somewhat of a quandry.

Much of the reason for getting rid of Warnock was his neanderthal tactics and with the season seemingly a bit of a write-off, many of us talked about adapting a more possession based game, experimenting a bit more and trying to give some game time to a few of the youngsters.

Somehow we've got ourselves into a position where we might be in a stronger position to go for the playoffs in a week's time. With the Championship being it's glorious, inconsistent and unpredictable self, what has always seemed an improbability maybe not as improbable as we think.

We do try and play a bit more football than we did under Warnock, yet we seem most effective when we do play a longer game and play more Warnock-esque tactics. That's not to suggest Warnockball is the way forward long-term, just that it's still arguably the most effective with the squad that he built, at this current time. Some fans want to see a move away from the long ball game.

There's obviously no right or wrong answer here, so what would you choose:-

a) Continue to move away from a long ball game even if it means results take a dive and we don't get near the top 6

or

b) Want to get to the top 6 and if that means we need a long ball game, so be it.

I think it's an interesting conundrum.

Re: What do we want - performances or results?

C move from long ball and finish in the play offs.

Nah, I see your point, I understand peopleare happy to sacrifice performance for points and the closer we stay to the play offs the more fans will be happy to see that happen (look at the season we went up, I was one of them who before I knew it was just happy to win and it got addictive)

The manager has a job to do and he will select the team based on the opposition and probably stick to what ever grinds out the points.

I think it's a shame to bring in someone like adomah who seems calm in the attacking third if his crosses are going to be aimed at an unnatural striker, just as I think it's a shame to potentially have a RB who can attack and has pace and I'm assuming can pass (he's from wolves) if again, we don't have someone up top who can get into the right positions..

My point is, it looks as if for now we are going to battle it out and use Paterson, fair enough that's the managers call, but I don't see how we are then going to move away from the style we have played like NH has suggests he wants to do.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    C move from long ball and finish in the play offs.

Nah, I see your point, I understand peopleare happy to sacrifice performance for points and the closer we stay to the play offs the more fans will be happy to see that happen (look at the season we went up, I was one of them who before I knew it was just happy to win and it got addictive)

The manager has a job to do and he will select the team based on the opposition and probably stick to what ever grinds out the points.

I think it's a shame to bring in someone like adomah who seems calm in the attacking third if his crosses are going to be aimed at an unnatural striker, just as I think it's a shame to potentially have a RB who can attack and has pace and I'm assuming can pass (he's from wolves) if again, we don't have someone up top who can get into the right positions..

My point is, it looks as if for now we are going to battle it out and use Paterson, fair enough that's the managers call, but I don't see how we are then going to move away from the style we have played like NH has suggests he wants to do.
    That's why I think it's a fascinating conundrum. Like you say, the longer it is successful, the less it becomes an issue. Few moaned when we won promotion about our style.

Talking of Paterson, I agree he's not a natural striker, doesn't get into what we might describe as natural striking positions because he's doing so much elsewhere, but then I don't see any of our others doing any better if they have to play the solitary striker's role. If you have 2 or 3 up top, it's easier to tell a forward not to worry about much else, just attack the 6 yard box. I don't see Glatzel or Ward being any better at getting into better positions simply because of the lone role they have to do.

It might be time to go 4-4-2, or a variation on that, one that doesn't leave the lone man up top so isolated.

Results

Get stuck into em

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    That's why I think it's a fascinating conundrum. Like you say, the longer it is successful, the less it becomes an issue. Few moaned when we won promotion about our style.

Talking of Paterson, I agree he's not a natural striker, doesn't get into what we might describe as natural striking positions because he's doing so much elsewhere, but then I don't see any of our others doing any better if they have to play the solitary striker's role. If you have 2 or 3 up top, it's easier to tell a forward not to worry about much else, just attack the 6 yard box. I don't see Glatzel or Ward being any better at getting into better positions simply because of the lone role they have to do.

It might be time to go 4-4-2, or a variation on that, one that doesn't leave the lone man up top so isolated.
    I know the Pato Glatzel thread has been done to death and they're both different, so it wasn't my intent to turn the thread that way.

It's more about the first impressions you get when looking at the team.

Pato up top - oh well were battling today, won't be pretty

Glatzel - Hope we keep it down and play a bit.

That may just be me.

I believe he gets onto the throughball Pato missed today. But he won't win the headers Pato does and on and on.

I just think we have players here to move towards a different style, even if it's gradually, if we gamble on playing the same basic football and it doesn't work that's another few months we're behind on moving on. We have to start it all next season, when we could be a few months down the road already.

Throwing a big unskilled man up top means we are playing one way.

For me it's all about perfomances. Slow and steady. Always improving. I'd like another year at least in the Championship, all the while recruiting younger, better players. Before we get in the EPL again, I'd like Bamba, Flint, Glatzel*, Ward, Paterson, Bacuna, and Nelson gone.

*I'd still like to see Glatzel get a run this season just to be sure.

There is a right answer. Everybody prefers watching good football. Good football requires a good DOF or otherwise to hire a good manager, a good youth setup with a set philosophy and a team that is put together in this image.

It starts at the top and I think, in our case, the top don’t care much about their “product”. Theirs is a ryan air, bums on seats, cheap and cheerful approach. It does the job.

Part of the desire to have us playing good football is a pride thing as well. Everybody likes their club to be associated with “good football” and not so much with ..... Stoke. The chairman wanted us to be associated with Man Utd , the concept of “style of play” being secondary. Now, after the toy throwing and the warning of belt tightening, I think Tan sees this club purely in terms of its buoyancy as a business.

This is maybe not a bad thing off the field but as long as these people are running the club, we are unlikely to get the things I mentioned in the first paragraph.

Results.

I want both - but if it has to be a choice, results.

Results every time for me

Performance. We have to look long term. We did the results thing with Warnock and i was laughed at for saying that the way we played wasn't sustainable. it wasn't. Performance is a philosophy, it's long term. If fans want the players to go out and throw a punch in the hope that it lands then good for them.