+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are our expectancy levels so low?

Re: Why are our expectancy levels so low?

I think some people say the league is weak when in reality the teams are more even.

A better gauge for how strong a league is might be how many of the top sides of our league would have a chance of avoiding relegation from the premier league and how many of the premier league strugglers would also struggle in the championship.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    We beat Sheffield United in a night game 2-0 at home but I’m struggling to remember any beaten opponent down the City as good as they were that night. It was a hell of an achievement to get 3 points, Sheffield United were excellent, bar in front of goal fortunately.
    There were times, particularly early one, where we were brilliant. The victory at Molineux, the dismantling of Villa and Leeds. Why we reverted to hoofing it after proving we were one of the best in the division was baffling

We beat Sheffield United in a night game 2-0 at home but I’m struggling to remember any beaten opponent down the City as good as they were that night. It was a hell of an achievement to get 3 points, Sheffield United were excellent, bar in front of goal fortunately.
    Sheffield United had just been promoted that season. The Game you mention was in August (i think) Sheffield United were feeling their way into things although they did look good. They reminded me of Brentford that evening, good on the ball, great movement and build up but a soft side that early Warnock sides were excellent at exploiting. It goes back to my point, performance is everything. When people were singling out Sheff United and Brentford as 'soft' even though they played really good football they probably didn't allow for the development of those players and the odd addition that would make the difference. It's so much easier to add to a team where players are integrated into a system of play rather than a style that relies on long balls and quick wingers like us at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    I think some people say the league is weak when in reality the teams are more even.

A better gauge for how strong a league is might be how many of the top sides of our league would have a chance of avoiding relegation from the premier league and how many of the premier league strugglers would also struggle in the championship.
    Would be interested in how this would work because teams going up aim to add four or five players of real quality before season starts and teams coming down aim to lose that many to ease issues with wages. Then you have exceptions such as Wolves who were able to add quality while still playing in Championship, Fulham who aimed to add eleven players of greater quality but was probably a significant reason for their struggles, or Newcastle a couple of seasons ago who stuck with a Premier League squad when relegated to Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    When I were a lad, Cardiff City were a permanent fixture in the old Division One from 1952 - 1962.

This fact should gradually sink down into fans DNA
    I was born in 62, I'm a fecking jinx

Yeah, they stuffed us at their place too. Very lucky to come away with a point