+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Passing out from the back.

Passing out from the back.

Re: Passing out from the back.

That's a superb pass , and a superb chest down to control it

But that's a top three premier league side

You are not suggesting we have that capability in our side are you ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    That's a superb pass , and a superb chest down to control it

But that's a top three premier league side

You are not suggesting we have that capability in our side are you ?
    Top 3 this season (good to see) probably don't sustain it too long mind..

Anyhow.. no not at all just delightful to see ain't it.

Not suggesting we can do it, but it would be nice to see a bit of thought into a pass as our cross field hits are just aimed into an area rather than looking up and thinking "oh look Murphy has made a run there I'll hit it up there" it's kind of hit first with no thought at all.

Pointless complaining as that's the standard we are and I'm used to it.

There’s nothing wrong with an accurate direct ball, Liverpool play loads of them. Our problem has always been hit and hope hoofs from the back to no one.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Top 3 this season (good to see) probably don't sustain it too long mind..

Anyhow.. no not at all just delightful to see ain't it.

Not suggesting we can do it, but it would be nice to see a bit of thought into a pass as our cross field hits are just aimed into an area rather than looking up and thinking "oh look Murphy has made a run there I'll hit it up there" it's kind of hit first with no thought at all.

Pointless complaining as that's the standard we are and I'm used to it.
    I remember reading an interview with a Man United players, possibly Scholes talking about Giggs, saying, "I don't need to look, I know where he'll be running so I play it there"

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    There’s nothing wrong with an accurate direct ball, Liverpool play loads of them. Our problem has always been hit and hope hoofs from the back to no one.
    I’d say when we went up 2 years ago we played a lot of accurate direct passes, especially earlier in that season when were blowing teams away, and it was very effective. I had hoped we would see the same again at the start of this season but we really did revert to long ball and a lot of aimless passing

I’d rather watch a more direct game with purpose than 20 passes across the back before eventually giving it back to the keeper to hoof aimlessly up the pitch!

Sean Morrison taught him well.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    I’d say when we went up 2 years ago we played a lot of accurate direct passes, especially earlier in that season when were blowing teams away, and it was very effective. I had hoped we would see the same again at the start of this season but we really did revert to long ball and a lot of aimless passing
    Agree with that, especially the Villa and Leeds games. Think someone got injured and we reverted to hoof ball.

My missus gets annoyed when that happens!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    I remember reading an interview with a Man United players, possibly Scholes talking about Giggs, saying, "I don't need to look, I know where he'll be running so I play it there"
    Unfortunately we don't have that luxury, but you are spot on about those pair.

Our cross field lobs are pretty predictable and come if we have someone there or not, or they can't find their man, but it's one of them!

Not a criticism, but maybe if we aren't capable we should stop doing it until we get someone who can at them. Doubt the new lad is TAA level but maybe he's a bit better at hitting his man than what we currently have.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post

I’d rather watch a more direct game with purpose than 20 passes across the back before eventually giving it back to the keeper to hoof aimlessly up the pitch!
    Absolutely nothing wrong with it when used correctly, totally agree, like I said it's not the idea I'm knocking it's how predictable it is as we seem to make it really obvious to the opposition, but our accuracy isn't there..

Also NML and Hoilett were making the runs early in the promotion season and doing it well, I'd happily watch that type of football, the game we played early in the season first 5 games or so, we got it up the pitch and played in the right areas.

Unfortunately we don't have that luxury, but you are spot on about those pair.

Our cross field lobs are pretty predictable and come if we have someone there or not, or they can't find their man, but it's one of them!

Not a criticism, but maybe if we aren't capable we should stop doing it until we get someone who can at them. Doubt the new lad is TAA level but maybe he's a bit better at hitting his man than what we currently have.
    There's one flaw to your suggestion. Our midfield is decidedly average even by Championship standards. Sometimes there's a reason we bypass midfield. It's because it creates very little from open play, has some of the worst passers in the division and has no pace. When we wax lyrical about Joe Falls, that shows how poor things are. Ralls is a decent Championship midfielder, not a great one. He's by far our best.

Back in the day Dave Jones's teams often went long. His philosophy wasn't so different from Warnock - give the ball to the creative players to cause the damage. Jones preferred 2 up front, sacrificed a centre midfielder and had one wide midfielder who might be a play maker or had a free role. I watched the 4-0 win at Leeds the other week and I was surprised at how often we went long. Jones was never known for having great centre midfields (apart from the Scimeca/McPhail combo) but at least his players were generally a bit more comfortable with the ball than this team.

At Millwall Harris used to often have the ball played to a left or right back and then look for a diagonal ball. Millwall fans got very frustrated that it rarely connected and was over used.... maybe our new loanees are expected to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    At Millwall Harris used to often have the ball played to a left or right back and then look for a diagonal ball. Millwall fans got very frustrated that it rarely connected and was over used.... maybe our new loanees are expected to do that.
    It's a decent tactic from time to time as long as you have the players to do it.