+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Club looking to upgrade the academy

Re: Club looking to upgrade the academy

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    I live in Bristol and my sons’ coach reckons that those development academies are merely a branding exercise with little ties to the club.
    He said Southampton have two places near Bath - one is a proper academy facility and the other is one of these development centres.
    The one in Yate doesn’t even seem to have proper Cardiff City kit, for instance.
    Sure, in a few other comments they weren’t too happy about it. Cat 1 would mean we could pinch any decent kids from Bristol to Swansea in the future which would be good. I recall the jacks doing similar stuff a few years ago having schools right here.

If it's generally agreed that we spent something like £60 million in transfer fees under Warnock, I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that figure could rise to £100 million when all of the other expenses involved in bringing a new player to the club are added on (Warnock did sign an awful lot of players!). To balance against that, we got big fees for Zohore and Decordova-Reid and, although we didn't get a fee for Bruno, I'm told he was a very big wage earner (someone like Gunnar would have been on a good wage as well).

So, I don't think anyone is saying we spent £100 million net, but the question I'd ask is was that net spend a more efficient and successful way of using Vincent Tan's money than how much it would have cost to have maintained a category one Academy for the three years Warnock was manager? Assuming the Academy worked as it should (I say that while admitting that it's a long time since Cardiff's did in terms of producing first team players for the club!), then the answer has to no surely?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    I live in Bristol and my sons’ coach reckons that those development academies are merely a branding exercise with little ties to the club.
    He said Southampton have two places near Bath - one is a proper academy facility and the other is one of these development centres.
    The one in Yate doesn’t even seem to have proper Cardiff City kit, for instance.
    Yea the southampton one at Bath STV is massive, I spend 2 evenings a week up the STV and the southampton academies are always using the pitches, I speak to a few of the coaches, the general opinion is that maybe 1 or 2 will make the grade as a footballer, now when yuo over the pitches, must be a good few hundred lads playing at anyone time

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Sure, in a few other comments they weren’t too happy about it. Cat 1 would mean we could pinch any decent kids from Bristol to Swansea in the future which would be good. I recall the jacks doing similar stuff a few years ago having schools right here.
    I hope so! I really don’t fancy seeing my sons in Bristol City or Bristol Rovers kits, if they make it to academy level!

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I would be grateful if you could explain how you think we spent £100m on players during Neil Warnock's tenure. If you had said £50m you would be nearer the mark but still over. Bearing in mind what the club achieved in the period, it was a miracle that so little was spent. If you think that we have ended up worse off then you are in denial - we were in the bottom three when he arrived and heading towards division one.
    We spent around £60m on turning a bottom half Championship side when Warnock arrived into a bottom half Championship side when Warnock was sacked.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If it's generally agreed that we spent something like £60 million in transfer fees under Warnock, I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that figure could rise to £100 million when all of the other expenses involved in bringing a new player to the club are added on (Warnock did sign an awful lot of players!). To balance against that, we got big fees for Zohore and Decordova-Reid and, although we didn't get a fee for Bruno, I'm told he was a very big wage earner (someone like Gunnar would have been on a good wage as well).

So, I don't think anyone is saying we spent £100 million net, but the question I'd ask is was that net spend a more efficient and successful way of using Vincent Tan's money than how much it would have cost to have maintained a category one Academy for the three years Warnock was manager? Assuming the Academy worked as it should (I say that while admitting that it's a long time since Cardiff's did in terms of producing first team players for the club!), then the answer has to no surely?
    I think we got a small fee for Bruno Ecuele Manga.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    We spent around £60m on turning a bottom half Championship side when Warnock arrived into a bottom half Championship side when Warnock was sacked.
    You must spend money to make money.