+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Club looking to upgrade the academy

Club looking to upgrade the academy

Re: Club looking to upgrade the academy

Nice work if it happens.

Cabango mentioned again there.

Not sure why City don't table a cheeky bid for him to bring him to his hometown club.

The yanks won't care where the money comes from if they want to make money where they can and if it winds up the Jacks into the bargain then it is a win-win situation.

£3 million a year is a lot and you can appreciate there is a bit of a gamble involved, but a well run Academy should be able to pay for itself, and more, over time - certainly, when you consider that we spent two years of Class 1 Academy fees on Gary Madine in terms of his transfer fee alone, it seems a no brainer if it's done properly,

Another positive.

They must have my Alexa tapped, everything I've suggested ranting at home is slowly happening.

I'll believe it when I see it

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    £3 million a year is a lot and you can appreciate there is a bit of a gamble involved, but a well run Academy should be able to pay for itself, and more, over time - certainly, when you consider that we spent two years of Class 1 Academy fees on Gary Madine in terms of his transfer fee alone, it seems a no brainer if it's done properly,
    Absolutely

They should definitely do it. We have wasted far more than that on transfer fees. I didn't want Harris appointed but if he pursues this youth route he'll have my support.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    They should definitely do it. We have wasted far more than that on transfer fees. I didn't want Harris appointed but if he pursues this youth route he'll have my support.
    Agree this is the way to go and create our own identity by producing our own players. The only other way is to find a Multi Billionaire and we’ve been looking for one for 50 years+
    Our two promotions to the Premier League were not sustainable because we had no Academy players to back up the Senior squad and despite Warnock spending £100 m in his 3 years we ended up back in the bottom half of the Championship where we started!

Where are they getting this from? Just Harris' comments where he is answering a question with yes it would be good if it happens but it's a board decision.
    ?

Or did I miss something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Agree this is the way to go and create our own identity by producing our own players. The only other way is to find a Multi Billionaire and we’ve been looking for one for 50 years+
    Our two promotions to the Premier League were not sustainable because we had no Academy players to back up the Senior squad and despite Warnock spending £100 m in his 3 years we ended up back in the bottom half of the Championship where we started!
    I would be grateful if you could explain how you think we spent £100m on players during Neil Warnock's tenure. If you had said £50m you would be nearer the mark but still over. Bearing in mind what the club achieved in the period, it was a miracle that so little was spent. If you think that we have ended up worse off then you are in denial - we were in the bottom three when he arrived and heading towards division one.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I'll believe it when I see it
    We've restructured or changed our academy on a semi regular basis, all of which have resulted in the square root of naff all. I hope it comes off but I'm not holding my breath.

Been saying for ages we either need to do this and commit to it, or just get rid of the entire operation.

The club were looking into this before NH came along, I was on a Footy course in Bristol Citys training place and i wore my green city shirt to " stay clean ", a ACC coach told me they were making plans for a cat 1 setup, i didnt think much of it at the time, but maybe he was right

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I would be grateful if you could explain how you think we spent £100m on players during Neil Warnock's tenure. If you had said £50m you would be nearer the mark but still over. Bearing in mind what the club achieved in the period, it was a miracle that so little was spent. If you think that we have ended up worse off then you are in denial - we were in the bottom three when he arrived and heading towards division one.
    You pop up at the most curious of times.

He spent just under £60m

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Not much to add in relation to investment comparison , you could add Cornelius to Madine and you have 5 years of Academy spend , i woudl be happy with a small extra levy on season ticket prices to supplement it ,if was ring fenced for that expenditure .

Just read this about ccfc on bristol city forum

To echo what Cowshed says, Cardiff are already signing up talented Bristol kids, some of which I know. They have an Advanced Dev Centre at the Yate Academy. https://www.ccfcdevelopmentsw.com/about-the-badc

Appreciate we can't sign up every talented kid in Bristol, but really frustrating as they have some cracking young players and as a City fan it is galling to see them do it in our own backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post

To echo what Cowshed says, Cardiff are already signing up talented Bristol kids, some of which I know. They have an Advanced Dev Centre at the Yate Academy. https://www.ccfcdevelopmentsw.com/about-the-badc

Appreciate we can't sign up every talented kid in Bristol, but really frustrating as they have some cracking young players and as a City fan it is galling to see them do it in our own backyard.
    Bristol City have an academy for kids at Pencoed.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    He spent just under £60m
    The Board said he spent £100m and they should know, probably includes signing on fees, agents fees, loan fees. No one comes free these days!

The £100m was from Dalman and he should know? Probably includes Loan fees,Agents fees, signing on fees etc. When Warnock left we were in 14th place, that’s in the bottom half when I went to school?

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    The £100m was from Dalman and he should know? Probably includes Loan fees,Agents fees, signing on fees etc. When Warnock left we were in 14th place, that’s in the bottom half when I went to school?
    I don’t think it was that much, it’s been totalled on here by various statos lots of times. 60 ish million and you can take off bobby and zohore from that.

I don’t think it was that much, it’s been totalled on here by various statos lots of times. 60 ish million and you can take off bobby and zohore from that.
    The WOL reports (and discussion on Blakey's Bootroom) of the meeting for fans representatives and media with Dalman and Choo before the Reading game on the last day of the window all quote £100m as the spend figure under Warnock. The number came from Choo or Choo and Dalman. Probably includes all sorts of loan and agent fees as Ianto13 says, and I assume a gross not net figure. It was never explained or put into context in the press reports, but the number definitely came from the club.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    The WOL reports (and discussion on Blakey's Bootroom) of the meeting for fans representatives and media with Dalman and Choo before the Reading game on the last day of the window all quote £100m as the spend figure under Warnock. The number came from Choo or Choo and Dalman. Probably includes all sorts of loan and agent fees as Ianto13 says, and I assume a gross not net figure. It was never explained or put into context in the press reports, but the number definitely came from the club.
    Might also include wages ?

I live in Bristol and my sons’ coach reckons that those development academies are merely a branding exercise with little ties to the club.
    He said Southampton have two places near Bath - one is a proper academy facility and the other is one of these development centres.
    The one in Yate doesn’t even seem to have proper Cardiff City kit, for instance.