+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: HS2 - Wales shafted again by London

HS2 - Wales shafted again by London

Scotland and NI will receive substantial rail infrastructure funding in compensation as a result of HS2 benefiting the English economy. However, as transport infrastructure hasn't been devolved to Wales, we won't benefit in kind. The Tories also gave HS2 'national ' status to blatantly avoid triggering compensation to us via the Barnett formula. This is typically cynical as HS2 is blatantly an English project. Accepted that some parts of North Wales will indirectly benefit once passengers get to Crewe, but as a whole, Wales will fall behind further.
    The lack of an outcry in the Welsh press and from Welsh tories is deafening, the lack of caring from our Secretary of State is scandalous.

Re: HS2 - Wales shafted again by London

Al our funding used to come from Europe .

I guess Boris thinks he may never totally win the hearts and minds of Wales , as he has this time in the Labour heartlands of the Midlands, North West / East of England ?.

All our funding? I don't think so. European Regional funding was on top of domestic funding from London. It targeted poorer regions to help address the difference in wealth between more and less successful areas. Boris has already stated that money laid aside to try to replace European funding (Shared Prosperity Fund) will be allocated from London and the projects to get funding will be decided upon in London, not Wales.
    We are seen as unimportant and undeserving of equal status to NI and Scotland, let alone England.

I would say the whole country has been shafted by HS2. The latest cost figure of £100 billion is still only an estimate! Probably will be the greatest white elephant project ever. It will be interesting to see the passenger numbers when it finally gets going and how much a ticket from London to Brum will cost.

Didn't realise until a radio comment today the HS2 project goes way back to the 2009 government

Shocking decision IMO, railway needs investment but not in one project.

I agree with this. But the effects on Wales missing out completely and falling further behind concern me more than the UK as a whole wasting money. The lack of a Welsh perspective is a continual theme that we apparently are prepared to accept from our media and politicians.

Absolutely criminal, all I hope is Plaid can manage to gain some strong support in South Wales and do over Labour next year.

Westminster was supposed to devolve the valley lines to the Welsh Government in 2019 but still hasn't done it? I wonder if they have purposely delayed it knowing HS2 was going to have another budget increase and incase it would mean they would have to give some sort of settlement....? Is there any way of finding out?

This is the issue - our London based media isn't interested and keeps us compliant. 'Our' media and politicians should be all over this and calling Westminster out.

Quote Originally Posted by Penywaun gentrified View Post
    This is the issue - our London based media isn't interested and keeps us compliant. 'Our' media and politicians should be all over this and calling Westminster out.
    That leaves it to the likes of you and I. That's what the Scots have done and they're much better off for it.

This is a starting point https://www.partyof.wales/no_to_hs2

Christ no not plaid cymru , their ultimate goal is independence

A stronger labour party is what's needed to stand up to westminster , trouble is half the idiots in wales that gets huge funding from europe voted leave and have leaned to the right , quite incredible but true the last thing we need is plaid stealing votes off labour and letting the tories in via the back door ..

Labour in cardiff bay needs to get rid of mark drakeford pronto , hes hopeless

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Christ no not plaid cymru , their ultimate goal is independence

A stronger labour party is what's needed to stand up to westminster , trouble is half the idiots in wales that gets huge funding from europe voted leave and have leaned to the right , quite incredible but true the last thing we need is plaid stealing votes off labour and letting the tories in via the back door ..

Labour in cardiff bay needs to get rid of mark drakeford pronto , hes hopeless
    There is a need to sort out Labour centrally in my view and that's no easy task or happening anytime soon .

looks like the HS2 Brum to Leeds leg will go ahead according to this by 2040

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57282010

money well spent or not ?

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    looks like the HS2 Brum to Leeds leg will go ahead according to this by 2040

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57282010

money well spent or not ?
    Difficult one if he reversed the decision he will be accused of not looking after the North , if he does go ahead its a waste of money.

If it brings opportunity then it works and only time will tell

Welcome to politics.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Difficult one if he reversed the decision he will be accused of not looking after the North , if he does go ahead its a waste of money.

If it brings opportunity then it works and only time will tell

Welcome to politics.
    oh no its not

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59292120

Quote Originally Posted by Penywaun gentrified View Post
    Scotland and NI will receive substantial rail infrastructure funding in compensation as a result of HS2 benefiting the English economy. However, as transport infrastructure hasn't been devolved to Wales, we won't benefit in kind. The Tories also gave HS2 'national ' status to blatantly avoid triggering compensation to us via the Barnett formula. This is typically cynical as HS2 is blatantly an English project. Accepted that some parts of North Wales will indirectly benefit once passengers get to Crewe, but as a whole, Wales will fall behind further.
    The lack of an outcry in the Welsh press and from Welsh tories is deafening, the lack of caring from our Secretary of State is scandalous.
    I generally don't subscribe to the "woe is me/blame westminster" sentiment in Wales. In fact, I think that, and a lack of scrutiny of our own politicians is a large part of why we are the poorest part of the UK.

...but..

I do agree here. Why on earth don't we receive an equal share of transport infrastructure, the way we do with Health etc?

It is true that Wales is more intertwined with England than Scotland and especially N.Ireland is, but thats also the case with health, education so why not transport?

Even so, in recent years Westminster gave us free bridge tolls and electrification. The WG merely refused to provide a new M4.

We should declare independence and service on our own natural created wealth and resources , as WAG have said no more roads who needs em , it only brings tourist poultion , more business with trucks, more jobs plus second cars , more poultion.

I'd slow the roads down have cars in huge queues so it would force folks to re think and get back to horses drawn carriages, or a sophisticated transport system.