Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Under 23s v Bristol City

Under 23s v Bristol City

Re: Under 23s v Bristol City

3-1 now

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    3-1 now
    I#ve watched for about 1 minute and I've seen us concede a second and we look a shambles at the back

Presumably we were better the rest of the game

How did Brad Smith look?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I#ve watched for about 1 minute and I've seen us concede a second and we look a shambles at the back

Presumably we were better the rest of the game
    A minute is more than long enough to make your mind up about how a game is going.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    How did Brad Smith look?
    Didn't look quite with it first half but he made so many runs up the left wing in the second. Certainly doesn't seem to have any fitness issues and he's got 90 minutes under his belt now so hopefully we won't be seeing him at that level again.

Not a great performance all round tonight, we just about did enough in the second half to win it but there were so many poor touches, misplaced passes and wrong options. A 4-2-3-1 formation that should've suited the team we had out but it didn't quite happen. Nice counter attacks for the first and third goals (Wootton and Spence), a charge down of the keeper's kick gifted Harris the second.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Didn't look quite with it first half but he made so many runs up the left wing in the second. Certainly doesn't seem to have any fitness issues and he's got 90 minutes under his belt now so hopefully we won't be seeing him at that level again.

Not a great performance all round tonight, we just about did enough in the second half to win it but there were so many poor touches, misplaced passes and wrong options. A 4-2-3-1 formation that should've suited the team we had out but it didn't quite happen. Nice counter attacks for the first and third goals (Wootton and Spence), a charge down of the keeper's kick gifted Harris the second.
    Was Steve Morison there?

Good to see Spence back and amongst the goals

Waite also got a hat trick for Weston
    Wish he was being tested at a higher level though

Seems to score or assist every week

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Was Steve Morison there?
    Yes, he stood in the technical area all game. No ranting or raving, he was just taking it all in and only made occasional comments to players. No wally with the brolly nonsense, he didn't even pull his hood up when it was hailing. Very admirable but if he's got the sniffles in the morning then he's only got himself to blame.

Sparky looked sharp?

Yes, he stood in the technical area all game. No ranting or raving, he was just taking it all in and only made occasional comments to players. No wally with the brolly nonsense, he didn't even pull his hood up when it was hailing. Very admirable but if he's got the sniffles in the morning then he's only got himself to blame.
    Thanks. I just saw the post-match interview with him (and Wootton) on the Club TV. He spoke very well.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Sparky looked sharp?
    I'm not his biggest fan but he was one of the better players tonight, a very wholehearted performance from him.

Thanks. I just saw the post-match interview with him (and Wootton) on the Club TV. He spoke very well.
    Just seen that interview now. He did speak well, I agree.

Agree about Smith, for me he struggled initially, but then got better as the game went on and his best work definitely came in the second half when he teamed up very effectively with sub Keiron Evans.

I think your assessment on the performance is a little harsh. I thought after an even first half that Bristol may just have shaded, we got on top for the majority of the second half with the three behind Mark Harris (who worked as hard as I've seen him) becoming increasingly effective as they rotated positions in a way you never see from the first team - as Steve Morrison said, the third goal was a beauty with a calm finish by Sion Spence, who was another who got better the longer the game went on, while Cameron Coxe showed what he can bring to a team with a series of testing crosses.

I thought Matt Hall could have done better with both of the goals he conceded, but the conditions were awkward ones when it came to handling and our passing out from defence and deep midfield was careless at times. Overall though, I'd say it was one of the more encouraging under 23 performances I've seen in recent seasons and it was good to see the team being made up primarily of players that have come through the club's system as opposed to the trialists galore approach of the Warnock years.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Agree about Smith, for me he struggled initially, but then got better as the game went on and his best work definitely came in the second half when he teamed up very effectively with sub Keiron Evans.

I think your assessment on the performance is a little harsh. I thought after an even first half that Bristol may just have shaded, we got on top for the majority of the second half with the three behind Mark Harris (who worked as hard as I've seen him) becoming increasingly effective as they rotated positions in a way you never see from the first team - as Steve Morrison said, the third goal was a beauty with a calm finish by Sion Spence, who was another who got better the longer the game went on, while Cameron Coxe showed what he can bring to a team with a series of testing crosses.

I thought Matt Hall could have done better with both of the goals he conceded, but the conditions were awkward ones when it came to handling and our passing out from defence and deep midfield was careless at times. Overall though, I'd say it was one of the more encouraging under 23 performances I've seen in recent seasons and it was good to see the team being made up primarily of players that have come through the club's system as opposed to the trialists galore approach of the Warnock years.
    Definitely plenty to be encouraged about at that level; the positive noises that Harris is making, the appointment of Morison, the players being used and the type of football that seems to be encouraged now (rather than frowned upon) all bodes well.

I just called the game as I saw it. If they'd been doing a highlights package on the big screen there would've been less to show than a normal first team game. I agree that we took control in the second half but we didn't create anything from that control, our goals came from counter attacks and a charge down. Bristol had more chances than us, the number of mistakes we made could easily have cost us the game.

Plenty to build on though. I agree, it was good to see so many of our Academy products playing last night and to see a system that suited them. It feels like there's a great chance for those lads to push on now, let's hope they take the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Good to see Spence back and amongst the goals

Waite also got a hat trick for Weston
    Wish he was being tested at a higher level though

Seems to score or assist every week
    https://www.thewestonmercury.co.uk/s...-5-0-1-6510069

Him and Dan Martin seem to be doing very well there, Lloyd Humphries has just rejoined on loan as well (and been sent off for a two footed tackle). It's three levels below League 2 though and Waite is 21 in May. I wish he was being tested at a higher level too, maybe Morison and Harris will see enough in him (I assume he still trains here) to give him another year but it feels like he's been treading water for the last couple. So much talent, it'll be a great shame if he doesn't make it.

And sons of agents 😕

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    And sons of agents ��
    Have they gone now?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Have they gone now?
    Yes, snapped up by Chesterfield and Airdrieonians. Another example of our youngsters being poached by the big boys I'm afraid.

I watched Chesterfield getting thumped by Notts County for a while a few weeks ago and one of the McKays (think it was Jack) came on as a sub. The commentator said he had been used a lot off the bench that season, so one of the twins is unable to get into a side which could well be relegated from the National League this season on a regular basis and the other is doing better as a regular in a team challenging for promotion from the third tier of the Scottish League - there's nothing in their careers to justify the contracts they were given at City.

...he didn't even pull his hood up when it was hailing. Very admirable but if he's got the sniffles in the morning then he's only got himself to blame.
    He's a fool to himself.

Where were Bowen and Bagan? Did they travel with the first team to Huddersfield? Seems odd theyve been on the bench or played for the first team recently but now not in the under 23s squad?

I watched Chesterfield getting thumped by Notts County for a while a few weeks ago and one of the McKays (think it was Jack) came on as a sub. The commentator said he had been used a lot off the bench that season, so one of the twins is unable to get into a side which could well be relegated from the National League this season on a regular basis and the other is doing better as a regular in a team challenging for promotion from the third tier of the Scottish League - there's nothing in their careers to justify the contracts they were given at City.
    Paul, is William Warnock still on the books ?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Paul, is William Warnock still on the books ?
    He is still showing on the u23 team page on the club website.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/players/716

Although the website is not always accurate. It often takes them months to update it.

He is still showing on the u23 team page on the club website.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/players/716

Although the website is not always accurate. It often takes them months to update it.
    I'm 99% sure that he has not featured in a City side since his father left - I'd be very surprised if he was still at the club.

Another player who seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth is Aaron Bolger who has not played in weeks - he was injured for some time earlier in the season, then came back and was performing well for a while, but I'm pretty sure he's not played since before Christmas.