+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Irritable bowel syndrome

Irritable bowel syndrome

After a year of urine infections , constipation and diarrhoea my old dear who is 86 has finally been given a diagnosis of IBS

Shes been referred to a dietician , doctor has given her a supply of laxatives when she gets blocked up and immodium to deal with the runs

We have to keep her hydrated with lots of water avoid spicy food , so that's her extra large doner with chilli on a friday night out of the window

Anyone else suffer with this and got any tips ? She can go from being doubled up in pain and constipated to sitting on the Peter crouch for most of the day

Poor old lady

Re: Irritable bowel syndrome

Sludgey, a Weetabix for breakfast is what me mam (99 yo) has and seems to do the trick for her. The rest of her diet is fine, except for not eating enough fruit. Best regards Fatty.

My mum’s got IBS and has to avoid processed meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Foggon View Post
    Sludgey, a Weetabix for breakfast is what me mam (99 yo) has and seems to do the trick for her. The rest of her diet is fine, except for not eating enough fruit. Best regards Fatty.
    Thanks mate weetabix is what my old dear has , she doesn't eat enough fruit either

99 , what a lady !

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    My mother has ham sandwiches a couple of times a week , will have a word with her dietician

It's a horrible thing for her , its stripped her of her dignity

We still talking about your mother arse?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    How did they find out it was ham etc ? Bloody huge process of elimination to find out what's causing this

If its stress related , and my mother has always suffered with anxiety from post natal depression , how on earth do you treat anxiety in an 86 year old ?

Quote Originally Posted by Welshcake. View Post
    We still talking about your mother arse?
    Well I am , you are welcome to join in

Hows your arse today ?

I have had two belters , probably due to a chicken jalfrezi last night

Yes avoid processed meat and processed bread

I’d say go heavily vegan like and avoid dairy too. Lots of beans and pulses sorted out my father

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well I am , you are welcome to join in

Hows your arse today ?

I have had two belters , probably due to a chicken jalfrezi last night
    Pebble dashed the shitter then.

Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post

I’d say go heavily vegan like and avoid dairy too. Lots of beans and pulses sorted out my father
    Thank you very much , my old dear loves beans on toast and lentil soup

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Pebble dashed the shitter then.
    Leathered , had to call the toilet police

How did they find out it was ham etc ? Bloody huge process of elimination to find out what's causing this

If its stress related , and my mother has always suffered with anxiety from post natal depression , how on earth do you treat anxiety in an 86 year old ?
    My mum’s alright with ham - it’s sausages and minced beef she has to avoid.

After a year of urine infections , constipation and diarrhoea my old dear who is 86 has finally been given a diagnosis of IBS

Shes been referred to a dietician , doctor has given her a supply of laxatives when she gets blocked up and immodium to deal with the runs

We have to keep her hydrated with lots of water avoid spicy food , so that's her extra large doner with chilli on a friday night out of the window

Anyone else suffer with this and got any tips ? She can go from being doubled up in pain and constipated to sitting on the Peter crouch for most of the day

Poor old lady
    Baking soda*is good It re-alkalizes the stomach, neutralizes the acids , one teaspoon of baking soda*in a quarter cup of lukewarm water .

Fiber foods clear the bowel. .

Stay away from anything that's hard to disget, such as processed meats .

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post

Agree with this up to a point but. Processed foods should be avoided

IBS is a very vague diagnostic it covers a multitude of problems and it like going to the doctors with a bad leg and the doctor going, you have bad leg syndrome and leaving you get on with it.

In many ways you have to find the best way for yourself. This could involve stripping your diet right back, to a basic meet and veg diet, seeing if that has any impact and then building slowly back up. The problems with IBS could be caused by Dairy, Gluten, Alcohol or many other factors. It is generally harder to strip back the diets of older people as they tend to be more stuck in their ways.

Stress and anxiety will be factors again diet and managing coping structures can be used to improve this.

I would recommend a pro-biotic i would recommend this is capsule form as if you are having trouble with diary then the yogurts in the super market will not help.

Don't constantly take immodiums and laxatives as they will only make matters worse, over the counter medicines are not the best either, this will have to be a life style change, with a bit of trial and error.

They, the experts, said I suffered with IBS for 8 long years.

It took until I thought I was going to die, in a lovely Cotswolds Inn, that I had a camera shoved down my throat and when the results came back, I was diagnosed as being a COELIAC SUFFERER.

Cut out wheat, barley, beer, lager and any foods containing any of these and been 100% better since.

BUT, woe and behold if a cafe, restaurant or the like make a mistake!!!!!! Shit for Britain for 2 days

Many thanks for all your advice much appreciated

My mother has always been an anxious lady after suffering post natal depression

I am taking her to the gp next week and may bring up the subject of anti depressants because I have a feeling her anxiety is a factor

As has been mentioned difficult to change an old ladies diet