+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water rates

Water rates

I guess most have had their latest water rates bill.
    We are metered and there's a breakdown of our daily consumption in six-month bites.
    According to this, we use on average 45 gallons of water a day during the autumn/winter and 70+ in spring/summer.
    Does that sound right?

Re: Water rates

We need to wash our balls more in the Summer, so probably about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    We are metered and there's a breakdown of our daily consumption in six-month bites.
    According to this, we use on average 45 gallons of water a day during the autumn/winter and 70+ in spring/summer.
    Does that sound right?
    How many people in your household? Do you have a garden?

Two in household.
    We have gardens front and back and I am a keen gardener - hence much of the extra in the summer.

I just looked at my water bill. I use over 100 gallons a day! (80 imperial gallons) There were 3 days last month when I used 250. I'm going to have to look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I just looked at my water bill. I use over 100 gallons a day! (80 imperial gallons) There were 3 days last month when I used 250. I'm going to have to look into that.
    Shouldn't have gone for that power shower and let the kids lock the bathroom door!

Seriously though, I'm going to take a meter reading and turn the water off for a day to see if there's a leak between the meter and the house.

Seriously though, I'm going to take a meter reading and turn the water off for a day to see if there's a leak between the meter and the house.
    I'm going to do the same when the weather gets a bit warmer. I just checked back and on 12/27 (when we were away) we still used 45 gallons. Maybe the central heating? But the heat is off from May to October. One day last summer I used 1200 gallons! There's only 3 of us. And the house is small. So is the garden. Like I said, this needs to be looked into.

Your loo will look like a walnut whip.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Can't quite get my head around that line, mush

Can't quite get my head around that line, mush

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    We need to wash our balls more in the Summer, so probably about right.
    As part of my drive to save water , I now wash my balls for sitting on the toilet and using that final flush to swill through ones testicles

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    As part of my drive to save water , I now wash my balls for sitting on the toilet and using that final flush to swill through ones testicles
    I didn't need to know that

Careful doing that if you use toilet blue in your cistern. The chemicals can have a nasty reaction with ones skin (so a mate told me a while back)

Does that sound right?
    45 gallons sounds a lot. That's 360 pints a day. Do you fill your kettle with too much water each time you use it? Long flush or short flush when just urinating? Bath or shower? Garden tap dripping? All these make a difference on how much water you use.

International

I'm going to do the same when the weather gets a bit warmer. I just checked back and on 12/27 (when we were away) we still used 45 gallons. Maybe the central heating? But the heat is off from May to October. One day last summer I used 1200 gallons! There's only 3 of us. And the house is small. So is the garden. Like I said, this needs to be looked into.
    Your central heating should be \ sealed system, and shouldn't have any affect on your water consumption

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Your central heating should be \ sealed system, and shouldn't have any affect on your water consumption
    It's steam. And the steam bleeds out. The boiler frequently tops up automatically. And sometimes I top it up manually. Still, 45 gallons a day when I'm not even here seems way OTT.

Does that sound right?
    That's below the UK average household usage.

Apparently each person uses on average 142 litres of water a day - which is incredible really

The average water consumption is 140 litres/person /day.
    This is about 30 gallons a day per person.

A garden hose will deliver about 15 gallons per min. If you use a hose pipe that will push you consumption quickly.

So a total of 45 gallons a day sounds about right for the winter as does 70+ a day during the summer particularly if you water your garden.

A water meter is not the best option if you use a lot of water, but if only two in the house it usually works out cheaper. Once you have a water meter you can’t get rid of it if it works out more expensive.

Of your concerned you might have a leak phone the Welsh water to come and check outside your house. They sometimes to this any way.

Does that sound right?
    How much are you paying monthly ?
    Mine is 35 quid a month for 3 people .
    I bought a 10kg washing machine basically 2 loads in one.
    Dishwasher is A rated.
    A keen gardener I would recommend a water butt.
    I put a bowl in the shower and use the water after having a piss.
    Its all good fun.

Quote Originally Posted by lennybluebird View Post
    Of your concerned you might have a leak phone the Welsh water to come and check outside your house. They sometimes to this any way.
    Be careful with that, it could be your responsibility:-----

https://thepinkplumber.com/news/how-...water%20meters.