+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Paterson

Paterson

I thought Paterson, in a very good team performance, was good in the lone striker role last night. He’s never going to be a world beater but he was less headless chicken yesterday, held the ball well and brought others into play, was his normal nuisance in the air but his running into channels was impressive.

I wonder if Harris as a former striker is doing any more work on the training ground with him as he’s definitely improving in the role. He’s also got the knack of being in the right place at the right time in the box as another close range goal proved yesterday.

Re: Paterson

I don't think he did very well at all. His movement isn't great, and with the way we were attcking last night I thought he didn't fit in.

No, he wasn't that good last night - but he's big, usually good in the air, makes an awful nuisance of himself and is 'good' for the team. Opponents have to take notice of him and he won't be bullied. And as long as there's one of the others on the bench I'm happy to see his name on the team sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavross1927 View Post
    I thought Paterson, in a very good team performance, was good in the lone striker role last night. He’s never going to be a world beater but he was less headless chicken yesterday, held the ball well and brought others into play, was his normal nuisance in the air but his running into channels was impressive.

I wonder if Harris as a former striker is doing any more work on the training ground with him as he’s definitely improving in the role. He’s also got the knack of being in the right place at the right time in the box as another close range goal proved yesterday.
    He is surprisingly good at taking chances considering he was bought as a right back

And considering hes playing as a makeshift front man hes doing a bloody good job

Up the city

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    He is surprisingly good at taking chances considering he was bought as a right back

And considering hes playing as a makeshift front man hes doing a bloody good job

Up the city
    Is this true? The way I remember it, Warnock made a joke very early on about not trusting Patterson as a defender so wouldn't be surprised if he was never going to play that role for us. It seems to be part of the myth that we have RB as our starting striker but Wiki says he played as a striker role before joining Hearts, played as a striker for Hearts (as well as playing RB and midfielder), and we know he has played all his games here in some form of offensive role as well as more recently doing the same for Scotland.

He’s our Paul Madeley

"He’s also got the knack of being in the right place at the right time in the box "
    ...absolutely......despite his limitations that is an invaluable asset to have!!!!

He’s not a good footballer but my favourite player. He takes out 2 players out of the game often and causes chaos

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Is this true? The way I remember it, Warnock made a joke very early on about not trusting Patterson as a defender so wouldn't be surprised if he was never going to play that role for us. It seems to be part of the myth that we have RB as our starting striker but Wiki says he played as a striker role before joining Hearts, played as a striker for Hearts (as well as playing RB and midfielder), and we know he has played all his games here in some form of offensive role as well as more recently doing the same for Scotland.
    Paterson was signed as a utility player but not a lone striker

Hes doing a good job in the role hes been given

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    He’s not a good footballer but my favourite player. He takes out 2 players out of the game often and causes chaos
    Exactly

Lays the ball off or creates space for tomlin

And bags a few goals

What more do people want at this stage of the season ?

Just love the man. Keep him up front, he'll make a nuisance of himself and he has another 5 or 6 goals in him this season. 😊

Paterson was really good last night. He does Paterson things and he works well with Tomlin. He also scores, which is quite nice from your striker

Paterson caused Premier League defences more problems than any other strikers we had last season, including Niasse and Zohore.

Never forget. Paterson scored at Anfield when it was impossible to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Although Paterson was regarded as versatile from the outset, he was very definitely a full-back by trade when he joined the club. He played almost exclusively as a full-back for Hearts and even had a handful of caps for Scotland at full-back. Indeed, when City signed him the announcement on the club's website described him as an attacking full-back.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Although Paterson was regarded as versatile from the outset, he was very definitely a full-back by trade when he joined the club. He played almost exclusively as a full-back for Hearts and even had a handful of caps for Scotland at full-back. Indeed, when City signed him the announcement on the club's website described him as an attacking full-back.
    Interestingly, he was a striker during his youth days. https://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...ited-1-2535109

I imagine he's quite hard to pin down as he's not got many technical attributes that you'd say he excels at and yet, he sort of does? I absolutely love him though and I'd 100% play him over Ward and Glatzel. He actually played one or two clever flicks and lay offs on Wednesday night. He also scores. He's nearly got a goal every 4 league games for us, which is mad considering he's played right back and centre mid/10 for most of it.

Dare I say it but as our new style develops you can see why the gaffer wanted Keifer Moore in the last window.Paterson is doing that no 9 type job.