+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Winter Break

The Winter Break

Who the hell came up with this format? What a mess. Couldn't they have just picked a non FA Cup weekend and taken the week off? That would give all clubs a 14 day break between games.

Re: The Winter Break

This could cause chaos in the future

Imagine having a winter break, then coming back to 2 weeks of snow.

Most stupid idea ever

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Who the hell came up with this format? What a mess. Couldn't they have just picked a non FA Cup weekend and taken the week off? That would give all clubs a 14 day break between games.
    All of the games can be shown on television if they split them over two weekends.

Why is it a mess? I agree that the FA Cup replay thing is a bit silly but apart from that it seems fine, teams get a break just not necessarily all at the same time :

I don't particularly agree with it either. Premier league squads are naturally larger than what they are in the EFL and you'll find that most of them (European sides apart) play fewer or similar number of games. Do away with the poxy prolonged preseason tours if fatigue is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bothroyd's Diving Coach View Post
    I don't particularly agree with it either. Premier league squads are naturally larger than what they are in the EFL and you'll find that most of them (European sides apart) play fewer or similar number of games. Do away with the poxy prolonged preseason tours if fatigue is an issue.
    It's all about the money, the football is a secondary consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Why is it a mess? I agree that the FA Cup replay thing is a bit silly but apart from that it seems fine, teams get a break just not necessarily all at the same time :
    Isn't it easier, fairer and more conducive to an "even flow" if everyone takes their break at the same time?

Scrap replays. Sometimes I think the underdog has a better chance in one game. Start round 3 mid jan. After New Years Day have two weeks off

Stupid time to have a winters break - the worst of the cold weather is usually behind us by mi-Feb (allegedly).

What I don't get is that clubs will arrange friendlies to keep the players at it - there was talk of some clubs jetting off to play abroad.

Some BREAK if they do this.

What they really should do is bin the Christmas/New Year schedule. Then they wouldn't need a break.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    What they really should do is bin the Christmas/New Year schedule. Then they wouldn't need a break.
    Football IS the Christmas and New Year schedule.

That's the bit we need to keep.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

Agree!

Surely we can incorporate an NFL style bye week, but it better not be over Xmas. What on earth else are we supposed to do then?! That boxing day game is an institution, god forbid it disappear.

Agreed!

Then as suggested earlier, the FA Cup should be moved back a week and there should be a bye week the first Saturday after January 1st.

They must be exhausted playing football for 90 minutes twice a week, not to mention training a few times a week too.
    Maybe they should have a go on the shovel in all weathers for five days a week.