+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Peltier

Lee Peltier

Neil Harris was asked about Peltier at the pre-Wigan press conference this morning.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...ltier-17746686

He half dodged the question about whether there had been a falling out and contract dispute - but did say that Peltier jumped at the chance to sign for West Brom, that West Brom will almost certainly be promoted, and that he would therefore be playing back in the Premier League next season.

When West Brom announced the signing on their website they said it was a short-term deal to the end of this season.

https://www.wba.co.uk/teams/senior/d...r/lee-peltier/

None of the journalists (!) challenged Harris on what he said - but there has either been some misreporting or our manager has glossed over the deadline day departure with a dollop of spin and misinformation. He puts a lot of store on his honesty - with the players and in press conferences - but this does not sound right.

Disappointed.

Re: Lee Peltier

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Neil Harris was asked about Peltier at the pre-Wigan press conference this morning.

He half dodged the question about whether there had been a falling out and contract dispute - but did say that Peltier jumped at the chance to sign for West Brom, that West Brom will almost certainly be promoted, and that he would therefore be playing back in the Premier League next season.

When West Brom announced the signing on their website they said it was a short-term deal to the end of this season.

None of the journalists (!) challenged Harris on what he said - but there has either been some misreporting or our manager has glossed over the deadline day departure with a dollop of spin and misinformation. He puts a lot of store on his honesty - with the players and in press conferences - but this does not sound right.

Disappointed.
    a). What difference does it make ?

b). Who cares anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post

b). Who cares anyway.
    a) It's nice to know what's going on

b) lots of people

c) grow up

He’s not going to say he didn’t like him and wanted him out of the door is he, I was more shocked at our own fans you’d swear we just got rid of Trent Alexander Arnold ffs

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    He’s not going to say he didn’t like him and wanted him out of the door is he, I was more shocked at our own fans you’d swear we just got rid of Trent Alexander Arnold ffs
    A bit of an exaggeration. People were mystified really because Peltier is a good defender, something we've had a problem with on a few occasions this season. This wasn't Andy Cole to Man Utd proportions, it just didn't make sense to most. Maybe Harris is more concerned about Peltiers age and lack of ability to get up and down like Jazz can? Maybe Harris thinks that he can develop Richards and sanderson and that keeping Peltier would stifle their development. Who knows, i'm a big fan of Peltier but this could be a very shrewd move by Harris and the making of Richards.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    A bit of an exaggeration. People were mystified really because Peltier is a good defender, something we've had a problem with on a few occasions this season. This wasn't Andy Cole to Man Utd proportions, it just didn't make sense to most. Maybe Harris is more concerned about Peltiers age and lack of ability to get up and down like Jazz can? Maybe Harris thinks that he can develop Richards and sanderson and that keeping Peltier would stifle their development. Who knows, i'm a big fan of Peltier but this could be a very shrewd move by Harris and the making of Richards.
    Not an exaggeration on Twitter, im not a fan of his tbh, there’s more to playing RB than kicking lumps out of people

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I was disappointed to see Peltier go after 5 years at the club and (in my opinion) being our best defender.

I can accept that Harris wanted to move him on to help with a new playing style, a younger squad, and maybe to reduce the wage bill. I can also accept that Peltier fancied a move to a club with a very good chance of promotion.

But it does make a difference to the story if he left for a short term deal that only lasts as long as his Cardiff contract - there may have been more money in it for him but no more security - and if Neil Harris is implying wrongly that Peltier would be at WBA next season that sounds like a dishonest smokescreen to cover a bust up with the player.

My point is not about the merits of Peltier in the squad, it is about the way the manager has explained the move. I have been very impressed by Harris in his interviews so far (and increasingly with the way he has managed the team) but this has put a dent in that favourable impression. That OK for you dml1954?

Players come, players go.
    There are a finite number of places available and a manager knows how he wants to play football.
    Peltier has been a good servant and thanks, however, its the manager's prerogative and ultimately his head on the line.

If they did have a falling out, young Neil is being diplomatic IMHO.

His Agency is Unique Sports Management. I think we have had enough of them. Goodbye. We move on !

Disappointed.
    But he didn't quite say that, did he? He said that Peltier had an "opportunity" to play in the Premier League next year.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    But he didn't quite say that, did he? He said that Peltier had an "opportunity" to play in the Premier League next year.
    By signing a contract that only runs up to the summer? OK.

By signing a contract that only runs up to the summer? OK.
    Well he has an opportunity to earn himself an extension for a club likely to be playing premier league football next season.

What did you expect him to say? Yes we had a bust up and we don’t like each other?

Peltiers been in the game long enough to know how it works. Some managers rate you, some don’t.

He was a good servant but he’s hardly Cafu. Timing was right. Time to break up the old boys and new manager putting his own stamp on the squad.

That first goal on Wednesday night doesn’t happen if Peltier was playing. Lovely play from Jazz in the build up to Adomah releasing Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Well he has an opportunity to earn himself an extension for a club likely to be playing premier league football next season.

What did you expect him to say? Yes we had a bust up and we don’t like each other?

Peltiers been in the game long enough to know how it works. Some managers rate you, some don’t.

He was a good servant but he’s hardly Cafu. Timing was right. Time to break up the old boys and new manager putting his own stamp on the squad.

That first goal on Wednesday night doesn’t happen if Peltier was playing. Lovely play from Jazz in the build up to Adomah releasing Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

I don't see the point being raised being about Peltier. Harris has been overly criticised but if he sets his stock in being upfront and honest then this is an example of where he hasn't been, even if the correct decision was made.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I don't see the point being raised being about Peltier. Harris has been overly criticised but if he sets his stock in being upfront and honest then this is an example of where he hasn't been, even if the correct decision was made.
    He’s been diplomatic not dishonest.

Peltier is the one with the problem it seems. If there’s a story to tell why doesn’t he put it out there instead of snidey little clues on social media.

Much is made of how professional Lee Peltier is but his behaviour on social media has been anything but that.

Who cares if Harris was diplomatic in his answer anyway? All this stinks of is results are starting to go well on the pitch so let’s find another stick to beat Harris with. Pathetic.

Almost as pathetic as posters having their messages deleted or edited on here but certain posters are allowed to say anything on here.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post

b). Who cares anyway.
    It matters because Peltier was better than Jazz is now and the manager made a massive call on that one

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    It matters because Peltier was better than Jazz is now and the manager made a massive call on that one
    That’s a matter of opinion and it’s the managers opinion that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Better at defending but Jazz offers a lot more, when you think of all the best full backs they’re not really good defenders (most of them)

I was disappointed to see Peltier go after 5 years at the club and (in my opinion) being our best defender.

I can accept that Harris wanted to move him on to help with a new playing style, a younger squad, and maybe to reduce the wage bill. I can also accept that Peltier fancied a move to a club with a very good chance of promotion.

But it does make a difference to the story if he left for a short term deal that only lasts as long as his Cardiff contract - there may have been more money in it for him but no more security - and if Neil Harris is implying wrongly that Peltier would be at WBA next season that sounds like a dishonest smokescreen to cover a bust up with the player.

My point is not about the merits of Peltier in the squad, it is about the way the manager has explained the move. I have been very impressed by Harris in his interviews so far (and increasingly with the way he has managed the team) but this has put a dent in that favourable impression. That OK for you dml1954?
    Peltier was an employee, managed by Harris. Why he left is a private matter which the club can choose to disclose or otherwise. If they choose not to then it's open to speculation. I have a hunch it's his large weekly wage, the fact that he is totally incapable of making the simplest of passes, and turns around and goes backwards once he's 60 yards from his own goal line..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Peltier was an employee, managed by Harris. Why he left is a private matter which the club can choose to disclose or otherwise. If they choose not to then it's open to speculation. I have a hunch it's his large weekly wage, the fact that he is totally incapable of making the simplest of passes, and turns around and goes backwards once he's 60 yards from his own goal line..
    A bit harsh. His passing isnt that bad.

Its time to rebuild though and we need new players this summer to kick on.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Better at defending but Jazz offers a lot more, when you think of all the best full backs they’re not really good defenders (most of them)
    All round Pelts is better than Jazz. We need a new right back this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    A bit harsh. His passing isnt that bad.

Its time to rebuild though and we need new players this summer to kick on.
    Harris has apparently been told to lower the age of the squad, so at 33, his time was coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    All round Pelts is better than Jazz. We need a new right back this summer.
    Agree we need a new RB but I don’t think he’s better than Jazz all round he didn’t know what to do when he got anywhere near the half way line and people think his passing is bad because he just lumped the ball away

Hasn’t his deal at West Brom got an option for another season.
    I’d also bet he’s on for a nice fat promotion bonus and it’s also closer to his family.

He was out of contract in the summer and it seems Harris wants full backs who get forward, so was unlikely to give him another deal - certainly not on the money he was on.

Seems to make sense all round.

I like him , but no one is bigger than the club and at the end of the day the manager will succeed or fail on his own decisions.

You can't handle the truth.

I don't really see how any benefit will come from him being honest if there was a falling out.

Peltier seems happy, he did a good job for us but is now at top of the league, and if our manager didn't fancy him as a player then it's best for all anyway.

Good luck to Peltier, don't see the need for anyone to really bring anything up.