Click here for Cardiff City personalised gift shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 69

Thread: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

  1. #1

    OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    Sorry to put this on you guys but would be grateful for advice as the wife(Who has Alzeimers) age78 and myself (71) still b bedbound after having serious Heart trouble a few Months ago, sorry but just need to chat to someone. I was in bed about 10 ish this morning when I heard my Mrs scream and clambered out of bed with my stick and found my Mrs crying her eyes out with two Civil Enforcement Officers as they call themselves trying to get upstairs and she was trying to stop them, They informed her they were here to arrest me, I informed them we were both disabled and elderly and there must have been some mistake, They informed me that they had no intention of leaving the house until We had proved who we were, They mentioned they were after someone at this address and had no intention of leaving I kept telling them to get out in no uncertain terms and they threatened to arrest me. I started trying to push them out as my wife was now screaming and they were 2 thugs they said they had no intention of leaving so I introduced to my baseball bat and took a swing at the fella that was pushing my wife i didnt manage to connect because as soon as he saw the bat they retreated out of the front door which we slammed and locked . A short while later 2 plod arrived and one stayed in the garden with the baillifs and a young PCSO came in to see to my wife, said I was out of order for attempting to use force to encourage them to leave and also said they could arrest me. Cutting a long story short they had the wrong address but the Police said as it was our address on the Warrant they had every right to force their way in and they wanted me arrested for assault. It transpired that it was next door they should have been not our house.

  2. #2

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    Call a lawyer.

  3. #3

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    F'ing hell, that's appaling.

    Some pen-pushing bean-counter has entered the wrong number in an arrest warrant and caused you this grief.
    As above, call a lawyer and sue the arse off them

  4. #4

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    That’s awful. Definitely get some qualified advice.

    Any friends/family you can speak to in the meantime for some support?

  5. #5

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    That’s awful. Definitely get some qualified advice.

    Any friends/family you can speak to in the meantime for some support?
    Unfortunately we are on our own now, I think my mistake was taking a swing at him but quite honestly I was scared stiff. For that reason think they would have me by the short and curlies in a legal action.

  6. #6

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    Sorry to hear about this. Maybe a visit to Citizens Advice for some information may help.

  7. #7

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    Absolutely disgusting!

    You did what many people would have done in your circumstances, protecting your property and loved ones.
    It's no wonder they said they could arrest you, hoping you might take the attitude you seem to be taking.

    I'd do as some have suggested, get some legal advice anyway, just for peace of mind

    Edit:
    Agree you should speak to someone just for support.
    All the best

  8. #8
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    9,232

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    That is shocking. As others have said get some expert help asap - Citizens Advice, solicitor, trade union (if you are a retired member), councillor or MP. You have done the right thing to share it straight away and put down in writing what happened and how it affected you and your wife. The bailiffs want you arrested? They should be apologising for all they're worth, offering you compensation, and carrying out an investigation into how they cocked it up so badly. Hope it all turns out well.

  9. #9

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    Awful. First response here is on the money. Get a lawyer. How did they try/threaten to arrest you? Obvs there is no evidence here but that sounds super dodgy.

  10. #10

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    That's a terrible experience for you and your poor wife.
    It's easy to be wise after the event and from a distance, but I would firstly have asked to see their documentation. Then, pointed out they were at the wrong house and shown them proof of your ID and then ordered them out of your home.
    If they refused, I'd call the police as they are trespassing.
    As I understand it, they have the right to make peaceable entry into the home described on the paperwork but the situation seems have been racked up by your totally understandable reaction and what they perceived were their legitimate demands based on their wrong documentation.
    But taking into account your situation and the mistake on the paperwork I would certainly take it further. Do you have a copy of the paperwork to see who authorized the visit. He/she should be informed at the very least.
    Your experience highlights the need to try to stay calm (for your own sake and to try to keep the heat out of the situation) when threatened, no matter what the provocation - even when your blood is boiling.
    But I fully sympathize with how you felt. It probably took hours for you and your wife to recover - and could so easily have had serious health repercussions for one or both of you.
    Hope you're both a little more settled now.

  11. #11

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad as a fish View Post
    Unfortunately we are on our own now, I think my mistake was taking a swing at him but quite honestly I was scared stiff. For that reason think they would have me by the short and curlies in a legal action.
    That sounds a terrifying experience for you and your wife. The key thing now is to get some qualified, independent advice and not to accept everything you’ve been told so far.

  12. #12

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    You need a solicitor

    The law society should have a list of local law centres nearest to you

    There was a Cardiff law centre that used to be based in Adams down I think!

    This is beyond the remit of the citizens advice bureau but they should be able to point you in the direction of a practioner

    Good luck

  13. #13

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    That's a terrible experience for you and your poor wife.
    It's easy to be wise after the event and from a distance, but I would firstly have asked to see their documentation. Then, pointed out they were at the wrong house and shown them proof of your ID and then ordered them out of your home.
    If they refused, I'd call the police as they are trespassing.
    As I understand it, they have the right to make peaceable entry into the home described on the paperwork but the situation seems have been racked up by your totally understandable reaction and what they perceived were their legitimate demands based on their wrong documentation.
    But taking into account your situation and the mistake on the paperwork I would certainly take it further. Do you have a copy of the paperwork to see who authorized the visit. He/she should be informed at the very least.
    Your experience highlights the need to try to stay calm (for your own sake and to try to keep the heat out of the situation) when threatened, no matter what the provocation - even when your blood is boiling.
    But I fully sympathize with how you felt. It probably took hours for you and your wife to recover - and could so easily have had serious health repercussions for one or both of you.
    Hope you're both a little more settled now.
    Asked for their ID cards and they pointed to then hanging on their waist when I went to look they told me not to go towards him They didnt threaten me with arrest for raising the baseball bat the first words they said to my wife is that they were her to arrest me. Have since learned it was for non payment of fines but obviously not fines incurred by me. They would not do anything but just flash the warrant so I didnt have time to read it. They came from North Wales. As soon as I saw them I ordered them out and also stated that my wife and I were both registered disabled and were due a visit from the Nurse as we are both housebound now. I raised the bat to them when one started pushing my Wife back into the sitting room.

  14. #14

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad as a fish View Post
    Asked for their ID cards and they pointed to then hanging on their waist when I went to look they told me not to go towards him They didnt threaten me with arrest for raising the baseball bat the first words they said to my wife is that they were her to arrest me. Have since learned it was for non payment of fines but obviously not fines incurred by me. They would not do anything but just flash the warrant so I didnt have time to read it. They came from North Wales. As soon as I saw them I ordered them out and also stated that my wife and I were both registered disabled and were due a visit from the Nurse as we are both housebound now. I raised the bat to them when one started pushing my Wife back into the sitting room.
    That contact with your wife is a big no-no

    Were they recording the visit on film?

  15. #15

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Were they recording the visit on film?
    Yes they were Cyclops and I did say I was going FOIA them.

  16. #16

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad as a fish View Post
    Yes they were Cyclops and I did say I was going FOIA them.
    I would certainly mention that when taking the matter further.
    The film will expose mistakes they've made and it would be interesting to see how they got into your home. Was any force used etc.
    It will also show your reaction, of course.

  17. #17

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    Just realised I didnt say above: well done. You got these thugs out of your house and that takes no small amount of courage, in particular given the obvious imbalance of power. Putting everything else to one side for now: bravo. If they filmed themselves threatening arrest.... Wow.

  18. #18

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Were they recording the visit on film?
    Great question.

  19. #19

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Great question.
    Yes Nick they were and I did request they save it.

  20. #20

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I would certainly mention that when taking the matter further.
    The film will expose mistakes they've made and it would be interesting to see how they got into your home. Was any force used etc.
    It will also show your reaction, of course.
    Opened the unlocked front door and walked in. We were expecting the district nurse at the same time.

  21. #21

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    The company they were from is Excel Civil Enforcement.

  22. #22

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    Keeping a baseball bat under your pillow suggests to me you're an ex-Soul Crew member.

    Did you shout "let's fecking 'ave it!" from the top of the stairs?

  23. #23

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad as a fish View Post
    Yes Nick they were and I did request they save it.
    Well done. Id be shitting myself and I'm in my 30s. Ive no idea about the legal process from here but if what you have described is on film, id be more worried in the bailiffs shoes than yours. I struggle to see how poor admin at their end means you have to accept bullying in your own home through no fault of your own. What an awful day. I'm so sorry

  24. #24

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    Trust me Organ if you feel my baseball bat you would be grateful that a pillow was in the way.

  25. #25

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    ok 1st off i dont know the situation of why they are at your property but when you mentioned civil that was enough for me...

    no "civil matter" bailiff can enter your home uninvited... period! if we are talking car related fine? council tax arrears... no

    you dont even have to respond as to who you are under data protection...but they do, they could have been fraudulant or anyone trying to gain access to con you... so you have the right to ask and see documentation id and such the min they ask who you are you dont even have to respond... no comment

    no bat was ever broght into it right... like who mentione dthat the bailiff to the pso.. does he have proof you swang a bat at him other than his word ? as 1st thing you should always do is not grab a bat but grab your phone and start recording, yes i know its all good me saying this as in the heat of your moment we would have all pretty much done the self same thing... but as for swinging a bat around you just as well be swinging a machete around do they have visual recorded proof you had a bat ? if not then deny it and dont pretend to admit that is what you did... in the situation of confuse you had rights to protect your home, its property and your partner... but unless they have body cams which they 99.9% will have had but if they had not been recording there is only his word you came swinging a bat... if they do have body cam recording then great it will show them tresspassing without permission and infact pushing and shoving you around and lying to gain access to the property...

    the likes of unpaid mortage arreas bailiff and unpaid income tax can gain access to a property but normally through the help of a lock smith... was a locksmith present ? did they have a "HAND" signed by a judge document saying they have right to access the property...

    vunerability... as mentioned i dont know your personal situation and so i dont know why they are there but you have vunerable member of family at home... in this case they have no admission right to your home and who ever they are or why they are there you need to inform them of this in writing... beside that whoever they are operating on behalf of just bypass the bailiff go back direct to the source of the issue and tell them you do not have any contracts outstanding with these 3rd party interloppers... can the bailiffs produce a contract they have for your council tax for example... do they collect your bins... no i dont think so so in tale they may have a contract with said council which has nothing to do with you... you do not acknoledge the bailiff in any shape or form and denythem rights of access... once you ask anyone to leave and they dont they are now tresspassing and breaking the law regardles of why they are there...

    situation must have been horrible, i dont know why or how they got in, was a door left open ? they cannot force there way passed you unless your wife invited them in so to speak... sadly once they have gained invited access they will have rights to come in again...

    anyways sounds awful no matter what, you did the right thing by me and coming on to vent it out...

    and sorry not read all replies so will go back and read back through now...

  26. #26

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad as a fish View Post
    Trust me Organ if you feel my baseball bat you would be grateful that a pillow was in the way.
    I feel like you have earned your own baseball-bat weilding smiley here....

  27. #27

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    Blue Moon evidently it was for an unpaid fine but not ours as I said their so called warrant was addressed wrongly.

  28. #28

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    The frightening thing was they looked like a bloody SWAT team.

  29. #29

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    oh shit just read everything over agian.. damn, theres me grabbing my bat and jumping in without knowing the whole 9... wow ok

    different gravy... wow even the police said they had right to access your home as the address was right lol what about the name ?

    and im wondering... has the neighbour been a little sly in using your address to take the scent off them ?

    whats going on here lol

  30. #30

    Re: OFF TOPIC ::::: Found Baillifs in my house this morning. still shaking now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad as a fish View Post
    The frightening thing was they looked like a bloody SWAT team.
    yeah man i been there done that... i had a team of 10 doing an armed raid...

    was bonkers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •