Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caroline Flack

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Caroline Flack

Media manslaughter.

Let down badly by ITV as well .

Re: Caroline Flack

No one should ever feel like the only option is to take their own lives. Flack’s death actually saddened me and I have sympathy for her and her family and friends.

However, I’m not sure I get this media bashing though. She was on trial for domestic violence and it shouldn’t be undermined just because she was a celebrity. For example numerous tweets like this calling it a lovers tiff (she smashed her boyfriends head in while he was sleeping)

https://twitter.com/avonandsomerrob/...152276993?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Media manslaughter.

What she did was horrific. If a male had done that to a female there would be zero sympathy.

That said, I have just been reading about her and she obviously had on going mental health issues.Its a terrible conclusion. Poor girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    What she did was horrific. If a male had done that to a female there would be zero sympathy.

That said, I have just been reading about her and she obviously had on going mental health issues.Its a terrible conclusion. Poor girl.
    And the lies the issue perhaps ?? , has the CPS looked at this , high profile people ,its in the press ,if this was male we would be pressing charges , should be apply and even handed approach to this incident ?

My understanding the CPS has to carefully study all aspects of the case before it becomes a charge ,so what really happened ?? In this situation ,there was a good reason the police were called and responded ,dont think they do for every domestic .

I would advise anyone wanting to be a celebrity to prepare for a tough skin , or seek another career path , as it does seem that celebrities publicity is now totally driven by social media ,it either shock and awe, or look at me uploads ,at times its as if the whole life is lived through a smartphone as they upload every waking moment onto twitter and Instagram . I'm not saying this poor girl did that , but lets be fair these suggestive photo poses , pouting lip's and celebrity and open rows with their celebrity competitors and dissing their ex's are all over the social media everywhere ,its not just the media at fault it the pubic who blindly follow and comment who equally at fault in my opinion ?

I wonder about Katie Price these days as she looks like she is struggling??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    And the lies the issue perhaps ?? , has the CPS looked at this , high profile people ,its in the press ,if this was male we would be pressing charges , should be apply and even handed approach to this incident ?

My understanding the CPS has to carefully study all aspects of the case before it becomes a charge ,so what really happened ?? In this situation ,there was a good reason the police were called and responded ,dont think they do for every domestic .
    Yes, she was facing trial for it.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Yes, she was facing trial for it.
    The Police and CPS have a positive policy around domestic violence. DV is considered by police as an emergency response in all cases, and the CPS have a positive charge policy - in other words, even if the victim refuses to testify, they will charge. This is as a result of the number of DV cases where victims have withdrawn their willingness to assist, only to be seriously assaulted or murdered at a later date by the same perpetrator. DV is one of the biggest causes of murder in the UK.

Boyfriend forgave her though and appealed against the non- contact order.
    You can see why she was a bit paranoid

Altogether very sad.

Much too young

Quote Originally Posted by EadosEados View Post
    Boyfriend forgave her though and appealed against the non- contact order.
    You can see why she was a bit paranoid

Altogether very sad.

Much too young
    I loathe the tabloids but I also feel that the public turning her into a saint because she has died is ridiculous.

We can have a conversation about the kind of press we want in this country, and the way we treat mental illness, and the fact it's a public health crisis we're ignoring. But we won't.
    (https://twitter.com/Nick_Pettigrew/s...40448140906496)

It's not limited to the press or online community, I'm sure we've all heard comments day-to-day which are unnecessarily unkind.

She presented shows that do not interest me in the slightest (I'm hardly their target audience!), so I know very little about her, but it seems to me that there is a media/celebrity roundabout that stacks of people are desperate to board these days and there's a big negative side to that though. Presumably, those willing to take a risk on it are happy to do so or are simply unaware of the potential dangers. Didn't a past Love Island contestant kill themselves last year and there was what happened with the Jeremy Kyle Show as well.

Today there are social media platforms which cry out for you to be judgemental and, it seems, people are only too willing to be that -often to a painful degree. The prevailing culture which we see on television and all other forms of media, with so many seeking to be "celebrities", only puts them out there to be judged in a world where it is so much easier to get feedback about what people are saying about you than it once was - is it any surprise that some find that judgement too harsh to live with?

I know this case is different from contestants in reality shows who found they couldn't live with the attention they were getting, but, as far I can gather, Caroline Flack spent all of her adult life in the spotlight of media and public examination and she, like so many others, encouraged that attention. It's not a natural way of living and there always have been casualties who could not take the downs which came with the many ups - in a world where instantaneous reaction is so easy and can be so much more damning, will it be a surprise if there are many others in the future who decide to do what Caroline did?

It's all very sad, but it seems to me that the genie is out of the bottle now and I'm not sure what can be done to get it back in again.

RIP

Shows such as Love Island and it's ilk need to be axed because they pray on certain personality types to go on those shows. Anyone who watches these shows perpetuates the hurt they can do.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Shows such as Love Island and it's ilk need to be axed because they pray on certain personality types to go on those shows. Anyone who watches these shows perpetuates the hurt they can do.
    Big Brother was running for nearly 20 years- well before social media blew up. How many big brother contestants have killed themselves? If your pointing the finger- it needs to be at twitter/insta and all those other sites that give people the vehicle to facelessly dish out abuse and insults.

The issue is social media.

Quote Originally Posted by stevebrickman View Post
    Big Brother was running for nearly 20 years- well before social media blew up. How many big brother contestants have killed themselves? If your pointing the finger- it needs to be at twitter/insta and all those other sites that give people the vehicle to facelessly dish out abuse and insults.

According to this (sorry it's The Scum), nearly 40 reality tv show contestants worldwide have committed suicide since 1986. I'd agree social media is a major factor, but they probably exacerbate each other.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbi...de-reality-tv/

Does this forum count as social media? You may be using your real name but the majority of people here are faceless. Social media is a tool that brings out the best in some people, the worst in others but considering Piers Morgan will still be on TV tomorrow dishing out abuse and dembethewarrior raised that they overhear comments daily that are unnecessarily unkind then to single out social media is reductive.

It was raised on twitter that this sort of story may be a trigger for other people going through a hard time. This tweet seemed quite good, in my opinion, at speaking to those who may be more vulnerable today:

Stay alive for the people you will become.
    You are more than a bad day or year.
    You are a future of multifarious possibility.
    You are another self at a point in future time, looking back in gratitude that this lost and former you held on.
    You are not just THIS you.
    Stay.
    https://twitter.com/matthaig1/status...76802782502919

People are placed on a pedestal by these shows which then makes them a target for social media trolls who are worked into a frenzy by elements of the media and vile people like Katie Hopkins.

There a a variety of contributing factors but reality TV is putting unprepared and often vulnerable people in a spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    People are placed on a pedestal by these shows which then makes them a target for social media trolls who are worked into a frenzy by elements of the media and vile people like Katie Hopkins.

There a a variety of contributing factors but reality TV is putting unprepared and often vulnerable people in a spotlight.
    But she was a presenter and had been doing TV for 20 years. It's such a lazy observation to blame reality TV and link it to the two Love Island contestants who killed themselves after the show in previous years. The situations are different, the two victims were pushed into a new world which they couldn't handle, Caroline had been part of that lifestyle for 2 decades.

People are forgetting the abuse charges that she was facing and instead blaming the media. While I'm sure the negative press from the Sun didn't help, neither did her finding out CPS were going to press charges against her despite her boyfriend asking to drop the charges (she found out hours before her suicide apparently).

I'm sad for her family, but she wasn't a victim of the press, she was abuser who was on the verge of losing her career because she battered her boyfriend with a lamp as he slept. I hate to be that person but if it was a man who had done that to a woman, there would be zero sympathy and finger pointing.

Bob I think they know they will get the attention, but looking at some of what was said about her, it's not a surprise to me to read what people think is acceptable to write on social media.

I agree with others she was certainly in the wrong for her actions, but I also feel the way they've gone at her (the press) has probably normalised it to the point your average Twitter user feels comfortable tweeting horrible things about her/writing Instagram comments etc.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    (https://twitter.com/Nick_Pettigrew/s...40448140906496)

It's not limited to the press or online community, I'm sure we've all heard comments day-to-day which are unnecessarily unkind.
    Daily. I think it's a regular thing in some jobs, I've certainly seen it on site, on the railways, days out with the boys etc. It's normal (not saying it's right) and some people don't deal with it as well as others.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Media manslaughter.

Their is a proverb
    “Live by the sword, die by the sword”

In today’s world the ‘media’ including Social Media is often the sword.

It’s Very sad to see any person take their own life.

It's too easy to say she was let down by ITV. She was addicted to social media but couldn't cope with the negative comments she received from it. It's also too easy to say she should stop reading her media pages. It seems to me she set her self up for media attention by living the lifestyle of a person in their 20's by dating younger men, possible heavy drinking and frequenting places where the media hang out and to top it all assaulting her boyfriend while he was asleep. None of this was ITV's fault. The situation is very sad and I genuinely feel sorry for her but unfortunately some might say she was the architect of her own downfall. Mental illness is a problem that seems to follow some people around and I don't think there is a real answer for it. Oddly she was at the top of her career whereas it is more common in TV people whose popularity is falling that seem to suffer the most. Very very sad. RIP Caroline Flack.

No parent should have to bury their child.

Very sad.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    No parent should have to bury their child.

Very sad.

RIP
    I had to bury my son just about a year ago so i know how it feels. But so far, not a mention about her family in the press. Even her death is being treated as a media event. Just more 'news' that can make headlines. All we are getting is how sad it is about her from the same press that vilified her.

Her family must be distraught enough as it is, without the media circus surrounding these events.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I had to bury my son just about a year ago so i know how it feels. But so far, not a mention about her family in the press. Even her death is being treated as a media event. Just more 'news' that can make headlines. All we are getting is how sad it is about her from the same press that vilified her.

Her family must be distraught enough as it is, without the media circus surrounding these events.
    Sorry to hear that. I can’t begin to imagine how difficult that must be.

"Mental illness is a problem that seems to follow some people around"

This is an unusual phrase. Would you describe any other illness as following some people around?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    "Mental illness is a problem that seems to follow some people around"

This is an unusual phrase. Would you describe any other illness as following some people around?
    It is unusual. What i would say is that like any illness, people need to help themselves in certain situations. If using social media or concentrating on negative comments effects the individual then they need to limit their time on these platforms. If mental illness is 'like any other illness' like alot of people say then individuals have to take responsibility for the things that can make that illness escalate, obviously with help and support.