Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
It is unusual. What i would say is that like any illness, people need to help themselves in certain situations. If using social media or concentrating on negative comments effects the individual then they need to limit their time on these platforms. If mental illness is 'like any other illness' like alot of people say then individuals have to take responsibility for the things that can make that illness escalate, obviously with help and support.
It’s not as simple as that though. Just saying “Don’t use social media” is like telling someone to “Snap out of it”. It really isn’t that simple when your head is not in a good state.

The mind is complex and when you are suffering mental health problems you can’t think rationally.

When I had a breakdown and was off work I couldn’t get rid of negative thoughts entering the mind and it just snowballs. I was sitting in the garden one day trying to have a peaceful 10 minutes to myself as suggested by the counsellor and I noticed a crack in next doors wall and I convinced myself their house and my house was going to collapse. My wife would tell me to stop looking at it but I become fixated on it and that was another negative to add to my list of negatives I would play on a loop in my mind. I couldn’t wait to drop a sleeping tablet to go to sleep and rid myself of negative thoughts and would dread waking up as the thoughts would return instantly and I couldn’t get them out of my head.

Now that I’m better I can look back and laugh at how ridiculous some of the things I was getting worked up about were but at the time it’s really not funny, You start to worry you won’t get better and then start considering suicide. Thankfully the chemicals kicked in sooner rather than later for me but for many, including that poor girl, the mind has convinced them it’s the only option.

Very, very sad when someone who by and large had made a success of her life in her 40 years on this earth thought that taking her own life was the only choice she had left.

RIP