+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caroline Flack

Caroline Flack

Media manslaughter.

Let down badly by ITV as well .

Re: Caroline Flack

No one should ever feel like the only option is to take their own lives. Flack’s death actually saddened me and I have sympathy for her and her family and friends.

However, I’m not sure I get this media bashing though. She was on trial for domestic violence and it shouldn’t be undermined just because she was a celebrity. For example numerous tweets like this calling it a lovers tiff (she smashed her boyfriends head in while he was sleeping)

https://twitter.com/avonandsomerrob/...152276993?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Media manslaughter.

What she did was horrific. If a male had done that to a female there would be zero sympathy.

That said, I have just been reading about her and she obviously had on going mental health issues.Its a terrible conclusion. Poor girl.

Boyfriend forgave her though and appealed against the non- contact order.
    You can see why she was a bit paranoid

Altogether very sad.

Much too young

Quote Originally Posted by EadosEados View Post
    Boyfriend forgave her though and appealed against the non- contact order.
    You can see why she was a bit paranoid

Altogether very sad.

Much too young
    I loathe the tabloids but I also feel that the public turning her into a saint because she has died is ridiculous.

She presented shows that do not interest me in the slightest (I'm hardly their target audience!), so I know very little about her, but it seems to me that there is a media/celebrity roundabout that stacks of people are desperate to board these days and there's a big negative side to that though. Presumably, those willing to take a risk on it are happy to do so or are simply unaware of the potential dangers. Didn't a past Love Island contestant kill themselves last year and there was what happened with the Jeremy Kyle Show as well.

Today there are social media platforms which cry out for you to be judgemental and, it seems, people are only too willing to be that -often to a painful degree. The prevailing culture which we see on television and all other forms of media, with so many seeking to be "celebrities", only puts them out there to be judged in a world where it is so much easier to get feedback about what people are saying about you than it once was - is it any surprise that some find that judgement too harsh to live with?

I know this case is different from contestants in reality shows who found they couldn't live with the attention they were getting, but, as far I can gather, Caroline Flack spent all of her adult life in the spotlight of media and public examination and she, like so many others, encouraged that attention. It's not a natural way of living and there always have been casualties who could not take the downs which came with the many ups - in a world where instantaneous reaction is so easy and can be so much more damning, will it be a surprise if there are many others in the future who decide to do what Caroline did?

It's all very sad, but it seems to me that the genie is out of the bottle now and I'm not sure what can be done to get it back in again.

RIP

Bob I think they know they will get the attention, but looking at some of what was said about her, it's not a surprise to me to read what people think is acceptable to write on social media.

I agree with others she was certainly in the wrong for her actions, but I also feel the way they've gone at her (the press) has probably normalised it to the point your average Twitter user feels comfortable tweeting horrible things about her/writing Instagram comments etc.

We can have a conversation about the kind of press we want in this country, and the way we treat mental illness, and the fact it's a public health crisis we're ignoring. But we won't.
    (https://twitter.com/Nick_Pettigrew/s...40448140906496)

It's not limited to the press or online community, I'm sure we've all heard comments day-to-day which are unnecessarily unkind.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    (https://twitter.com/Nick_Pettigrew/s...40448140906496)

It's not limited to the press or online community, I'm sure we've all heard comments day-to-day which are unnecessarily unkind.
    Daily. I think it's a regular thing in some jobs, I've certainly seen it on site, on the railways, days out with the boys etc. It's normal (not saying it's right) and some people don't deal with it as well as others.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Media manslaughter.

Their is a proverb
    “Live by the sword, die by the sword”

In today’s world the ‘media’ including Social Media is often the sword.

It’s Very sad to see any person take their own life.

It's too easy to say she was let down by ITV. She was addicted to social media but couldn't cope with the negative comments she received from it. It's also too easy to say she should stop reading her media pages. It seems to me she set her self up for media attention by living the lifestyle of a person in their 20's by dating younger men, possible heavy drinking and frequenting places where the media hang out and to top it all assaulting her boyfriend while he was asleep. None of this was ITV's fault. The situation is very sad and I genuinely feel sorry for her but unfortunately some might say she was the architect of her own downfall. Mental illness is a problem that seems to follow some people around and I don't think there is a real answer for it. Oddly she was at the top of her career whereas it is more common in TV people whose popularity is falling that seem to suffer the most. Very very sad. RIP Caroline Flack.

No parent should have to bury their child.

Very sad.

RIP

"Mental illness is a problem that seems to follow some people around"

This is an unusual phrase. Would you describe any other illness as following some people around?

I'm close to someone who works in public health within a school setting, this person is available to speak to teenagers about any problems or worries they may have. I'd say that social media is cited in 90% of all of the cases dealt with. The problem with Social Media is that it encourages people to be narcissistic and it creates a synthetic bubble that doesn't represent reality. I don't quite know what the answer is, but i do believe that better parenting and kids actually going out of the house and getting some exercise would help.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

This is an unusual phrase. Would you describe any other illness as following some people around?
    What I meant by that is that when one aspect of an apparent cause goes away another issue emerges. Without going into detail that was my experience with a family member. Not very well phrased I admit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    What I meant by that is that when one aspect of an apparent cause goes away another issue emerges. Without going into detail that was my experience with a family member. Not very well phrased I admit.
    Sorry to hear that. It's a complicated and faintly understood condition, that's for sure.

It is unusual. What i would say is that like any illness, people need to help themselves in certain situations. If using social media or concentrating on negative comments effects the individual then they need to limit their time on these platforms. If mental illness is 'like any other illness' like alot of people say then individuals have to take responsibility for the things that can make that illness escalate, obviously with help and support.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It is unusual. What i would say is that like any illness, people need to help themselves in certain situations. If using social media or concentrating on negative comments effects the individual then they need to limit their time on these platforms. If mental illness is 'like any other illness' like alot of people say then individuals have to take responsibility for the things that can make that illness escalate, obviously with help and support.
    Although by definition, it's going to be a lot more difficult to spot and avoid the triggers than it would for a, for example, diabetic.

Although by definition, it's going to be a lot more difficult to spot and avoid the triggers than it would for a, for example, diabetic.
    Fair point, although i don't think it's that difficult. First of all, people who are suffering need good help and support, thereafter the recovery starts with making changes to a persons life. Exercise is great and talking to people, doing things that you'd not normally do. Some people may always have mental health problems, although like anything it's about managing it. People do need to make changes in order to recover, services can only do so much and will often encourage small changes to lifestyle.

Mental illness is just harder to measure. Are you missing a foot? Then you can compare to some who has both feet and another with no legs. It’s definable.

Mental illness - you’re depressed? How depressed? How do you measure against when someone is going to go over the edge?

The campaigns are good but everyone’s tolerances are completely different

People are allowed to post things anonymously on social media that they wouldn’t say to a person's face. That’s effectively it in a nutshell.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    People are allowed to post things anonymously on social media that they wouldn’t say to a person's face. That’s effectively it in a nutshell.
    Bingo. No easy answers here... but for starters:

1/ you need to be 18 to use one of these platforms. Drivers licience/passport required in the sign up process, not too dissimilar to anyone of us signing up to a bookie account these days.
    2/ no hiding behind a pseudonim... posts need to ’belong’ to someone. Accountability and visibility. Not so difficult to administer accurately if point 1 is implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It’s not as simple as that though. Just saying “Don’t use social media” is like telling someone to “Snap out of it”. It really isn’t that simple when your head is not in a good state.

The mind is complex and when you are suffering mental health problems you can’t think rationally.

When I had a breakdown and was off work I couldn’t get rid of negative thoughts entering the mind and it just snowballs. I was sitting in the garden one day trying to have a peaceful 10 minutes to myself as suggested by the counsellor and I noticed a crack in next doors wall and I convinced myself their house and my house was going to collapse. My wife would tell me to stop looking at it but I become fixated on it and that was another negative to add to my list of negatives I would play on a loop in my mind. I couldn’t wait to drop a sleeping tablet to go to sleep and rid myself of negative thoughts and would dread waking up as the thoughts would return instantly and I couldn’t get them out of my head.

Now that I’m better I can look back and laugh at how ridiculous some of the things I was getting worked up about were but at the time it’s really not funny, You start to worry you won’t get better and then start considering suicide. Thankfully the chemicals kicked in sooner rather than later for me but for many, including that poor girl, the mind has convinced them it’s the only option.

Very, very sad when someone who by and large had made a success of her life in her 40 years on this earth thought that taking her own life was the only choice she had left.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    It’s not as simple as that though. Just saying “Don’t use social media” is like telling someone to “Snap out of it”. It really isn’t that simple when your head is not in a good state.

The mind is complex and when you are suffering mental health problems you can’t think rationally.

When I had a breakdown and was off work I couldn’t get rid of negative thoughts entering the mind and it just snowballs. I was sitting in the garden one day trying to have a peaceful 10 minutes to myself as suggested by the counsellor and I noticed a crack in next doors wall and I convinced myself their house and my house was going to collapse. My wife would tell me to stop looking at it but I become fixated on it and that was another negative to add to my list of negatives I would play on a loop in my mind. I couldn’t wait to drop a sleeping tablet to go to sleep and rid myself of negative thoughts and would dread waking up as the thoughts would return instantly and I couldn’t get them out of my head.

Now that I’m better I can look back and laugh at how ridiculous some of the things I was getting worked up about were but at the time it’s really not funny, You start to worry you won’t get better and then start considering suicide. Thankfully the chemicals kicked in sooner rather than later for me but for many, including that poor girl, the mind has convinced them it’s the only option.

Very, very sad when someone who by and large had made a success of her life in her 40 years on this earth thought that taking her own life was the only choice she had left.

RIP
    I'm really pleased that you're feeling better, it must have been horrendous for you and your family to go through. You don't have to answer this, but did you make any changes to your lifestyle or did you carry on as normal and allow the medication to kick in? You said that you were having a quiet 10 minutes as suggested by the counsellor, isn't that a lifestyle change in order to make yourself feel better?

I know that medical professionals offer good advice on changing certain aspects of a persons life in order to combat Mental illness, things that can trigger a situation or make things worse. Obviously the medication has to kick in and a person needs to start feeling better before any changes take place. Once again, really pleased that you're feeling better.