+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Jim Eadie

Re: Big Jim Eadie

Quote Originally Posted by tpcnw View Post
    Davies, Carver, Bell, Sutton, Murray, Harris, Jones, Clark, Lea, Toshack, Bird; Standard team for many months in 1970.
    '...bless Freddie Davies and bless Peter King, bless Barrie Jones as he streaks down the wing, bless 'em all...'
    'We all agree, Davies is better than Yashin, Toshack is better than Eusebio, and Bristol are in for a thrashin'.
    No sure when Peter King came along, probably slightly later, but basically that's my earliest team.
    'If I had the wings of an eagle...' the good old days, the good old songs. Oh what fun we had.

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    '...bless Freddie Davies and bless Peter King, bless Barrie Jones as he streaks down the wing, bless 'em all...'
    'We all agree, Davies is better than Yashin, Toshack is better than Eusebio, and Bristol are in for a thrashin'.
    No sure when Peter King came along, probably slightly later, but basically that's my earliest team.
    'If I had the wings of an eagle...' the good old days, the good old songs. Oh what fun we had.
    Peter King was here before and during the Tosh/Clark partnership

tpcnw

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Barrie Jones broke his leg in 1969 and never played again. I heard he was a great player though.
    Yes you are right. This was the team for the last few months of 1968. Peter King must have been injured for that period since he was usually a regular when fit.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    Well done Steve

Peter King was the first name on the team sheet from about 1963 onwards, up until about 1972.

Converted from a winger to a quality midfielder, after the success of Ingurlund’s wingless wonders in 1966

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    By far the best City team I have seen in my 60 years as a supporter. The Clark/Toshack strike partnership was better than anything else around at the time. We will never see anything like it again.
    Yes, my favourite City team too (with Peter King). The only weak link and probably the most derided player was Ronnie Bird but he had a great shot on him and was the best penalty taker we've ever had.

On their day, they were almost unplayable in our division. Toshack got on the end of every cross in the air and no opposing centre half could deal with him. With a little investment and retaining Toshack, the old First Division would have beckoned but alas we had to wait another 40 odd years for that 'privilege'.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Yes, my favourite City team too (with Peter King). The only weak link and probably the most derided player was Ronnie Bird but he had a great shot on him and was the best penalty taker we've ever had.

On their day, they were almost unplayable in our division. Toshack got on the end of every cross in the air and no opposing centre half could deal with him. With a little investment and retaining Toshack, the old First Division would have beckoned but alas we had to wait another 40 odd years for that 'privilege'.
    Don't forget Dave Carver. Much derided by those around me but the best crosser of bll we have ever had.

Don't forget Dave Carver. Much derided by those around me but the best crosser of bll we have ever had.
    Who of course asked me to keep an eye on his boots (in a brown paper bag I recall) in the players lounge after a game when I was young.

I didn't know who he was until my Dad pointed him out to me.

I've got a great Dave Carver memory that is as clear today as it was then. At the time we used to stand in the bob bank, slightly lower down from the camera tower. An older guy was always in the same vicinity and he seemed to have a permanent scowl on his face. Poor old Dave Carver was not the most elegant or athletic of players and boy did he come in for some stick from Mr Happy if he was have a bit of a mare or generally under-performing. He would bellow the same thing week after week. "Carver, you are like a baby carthorse!" Poor Dave ! To be fair, he was a safe if unspectacular player but for all that he will still be part of my favourite ever City team.

Apart from making sure I didn't get filled in and seeing Ronnie Bird actually miss a penalty, the main memory I have of the Swansea v City Welsh Cup Semi Final replay at the Vetch in 1970 was the competition me and my mates set whereby we predicted how many times Dave Carver would boot the ball out of the ground during the ninety minutes. I said two, but had already lost by the time the match went into extra time - think it was five in the end .

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Apart from making sure I didn't get filled in and seeing Ronnie Bird actually miss a penalty, the main memory I have of the Swansea v City Welsh Cup Semi Final replay at the Vetch in 1970 was the competition me and my mates set whereby we predicted how many times Dave Carver would boot the ball out of the ground during the ninety minutes. I said two, but had already lost by the time the match went into extra time - think it was five in the end .
    You couldn't get two full backs as dissimilar as Carver and Bell but most of the time it worked well. In hindsight, a little bit surprising that no interest was shown by bigger clubs in acquiring Gary Bell.

You couldn't get two full backs as dissimilar as Carver and Bell but most of the time it worked well. In hindsight, a little bit surprising that no interest was shown by bigger clubs in acquiring Gary Bell.
    A good player who I think we acquired from non league football.

A good player who I think we acquired from non league football.
    Started off with the famous Lower Gornal Athletic. I think we got George Andrews from them as well.

Yeah, I always rated Gary Bell, despite me only being 10 when he left the club 🙈

I never realised that he then went on to play 126 games for Newport County :-0

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Yeah, I always rated Gary Bell, despite me only being 10 when he left the club 🙈

I never realised that he then went on to play 126 games for Newport County :-0

Even more surprising, he was only 27 when he left us for Cwnty.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Started off with the famous Lower Gornal Athletic. I think we got George Andrews from them as well.
    We certainly did and what a cracking pair of sideboards

Even more surprising, he was only 27 when he left us for Cwnty.
    That IS odd.

I wonder who took over from him?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    That IS odd.

I wonder who took over from him?
    Freddie Pethard and then Clive Charles. I can remember Gary Bell being talked of as an outside bet for a place in the England squad for the 1970 World Cup. That.was probably the local media going over the top, but it does give an idea of how well he was playing at one time, so for him to be leaving for a Fourth division club on a free at 27 a few years later shows how far his form must have dropped. City's early seventies decline coincided exactly with the thirty five year old Brian Harris leaving to become County's player manager in the summer of 1971 - Harris was a huge influence and Don Murray was never the same player after that and it seems the same applied to Bell as well, while Dave Carver only lasted another season or so before he was replaced by Phil Dwyer.

My clouded memory tells me that Gary Bell was originally signed as a winger, or am I imagining it?

My clouded memory tells me that Gary Bell was originally signed as a winger, or am I imagining it?
    You're right, I'm sure he was a left winger.