+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many super Full Backs are there?

How many super Full Backs are there?

I say super because that is what most of us appear to want.
    A player who can for 90 minutes defend without fault often trying to cover two opponents dependent upon whether he is getting help from a central defender or midfielder dropping back, and then be at the the end of the pitch putting in a perfect cross to create a scoring opportunity.

I am not a great fan of Bennett nor Richards. Both can be defensively lapse and neither get forward fast enough.
    Maybe the latter is tactics.

But then I think about our great full backs and that left back has never been easy and the two that I can remember who might qualify for the ‘super category’ are Peter Rodrigues and Gary Bell. I am sure there are others but who?

Re: How many super Full Backs are there?

A recurrent theme on this message board is for posters to use Superlatives in order to get their point across. Nobody on here (ever) has asked for a 'Super' Fullback. I'm sure that we'd all love one like that bloke who plays for Liverpool or Marcelo, but it's not going to happen. What most fans want is a fullback who can defend for the most part, concentrate, show awareness and positional sense, do the basics and get forward when the opportunity arises. We can forgive a lack of quality and will gladly accept hard work over ability. What isn't acceptable is basic errors. Neil Harris thought as much yesterday.

I'd settle for two competent ones over the two we've got.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Some might say that we shifted one a couple of weeks back.

I'd take the Wigan No2 Nathan Byrne - I thought he was the best player on the pitch

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    A player who can for 90 minutes defend without fault often trying to cover two opponents dependent upon whether he is getting help from a central defender or midfielder dropping back, and then be at the the end of the pitch putting in a perfect cross to create a scoring opportunity.

I am not a great fan of Bennett nor Richards. Both can be defensively lapse and neither get forward fast enough.

But then I think about our great full backs and that left back has never been easy and the two that I can remember who might qualify for the ‘super category’ are Peter Rodrigues and Gary Bell. I am sure there are others but who?
    Super Kev, probably the best full back I've seen in a City shirt although I always liked Linden Jones in the early 80s, not talented but just to get stuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Some might say that we shifted one a couple of weeks back.
    And others including myself are glad he’s gone because he was hindering how we want to play

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    And others including myself are glad he’s gone because he was hindering how we want to play
    And i've acknowledged that in a previous post, just putting both sides out there. I can certainly see the Harris' logic.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Super Kev, probably the best full back I've seen in a City shirt although I always liked Linden Jones in the early 80s, not talented but just to get stuck in
    He was OK at this level, good defensively, but I never understood how popular he was.

Can you name one RB we've had over the last 40 odd years who was better?

That doesn't mean he was actually good
    Delaney? he had a good career in the premier league and "super" kev was simply not good enough for that level. I don't think he came close to troubling the team of the season in the championship either, at a side that were perpetual contenders.
    I thought Brayford was unfortunate with us and probably could have been used better.

In the championship off the top of my head ones that stood out were Kieran Trippier, Seamus Coleman, Ashley Cole - mostly loans who were clearly too good for this level.

Basically everyone wants a male version of Lucy Bronze

Theophile Catherine was far and away better.

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    I Agree with this. McNaughton certainly was very popular but he wasn't a great player.i was thinking I actually preferred Peltier.

In terms of full backs Legg was always my favourite however the level we were at was below standard are now.

I think Bennett is a better than average Championship player. To replace him with a player that "has it all" at Championship level is going to cost at least £10M.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Agree, that chap Peltier at WBA seems good.

Remember when people were delighted we had swapped Malone for jazz Richards

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Looking for great players, has to be Catherine.

Ummm Catherine the Great....

Tony Vidmar was a tough customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Remember when people were delighted we had swapped Malone for jazz Richards
    Was anyone delighted we'd signed Jazz Richards?
    Ordinary and injury prone to boot.
    On top of that he's got 'Jazz' on his shirt.

For consistently performing at a high level, Gary Bell has been without a doubt the stand-out full back since I started watching the City in the mid 60's. Peter Rodrigues was very good too but he'd never get away with his trade mark sliding tackles nowadays !

Of a more recent vintage Supermac has a special place in our hearts even though his passing and crossing ability were suspect to say the least. But a totally wholehearted performer who will always be fondly remembered.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post

Some of the best football I saw us play was under Dave Jones and we had a pair of cracking full backs.

Sure one of them was Super Kev and I can't think who the other one was young kid on loan if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I think Bennett is a better than average Championship player. To replace him with a player that "has it all" at Championship level is going to cost at least £10M.
    Really? I think he's been mediocre for most of this season, although he has done a bit better recently. It probably hasn't helped that he's had to play almost every game because Warnock didn't think we needed any cover at left-back.

Alf Sherwood,Alan Harrington, Chris Gunter for a start!

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Alf Sherwood,Alan Harrington, Chris Gunter for a start!
    I think that your timing is out a bit concerning Sherwood and Harrington and the chris gunter comparison is very debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Really? I think he's been mediocre for most of this season, although he has done a bit better recently. It probably hasn't helped that he's had to play almost every game because Warnock didn't think we needed any cover at left-back.
    He's better than mediocre. He's not top-notch either. But he's more than adequate. Admittedly, he's better getting forward than he is defending, but he rarely has a 'mare and he cost nothing. I'd be interested to see what happens when Cunningham is fit. Can either of them play on the right?