+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major incident declared in South Wales

Major incident declared in South Wales

Starting a dedicated thread.

Hoping all affected by the flooding along the Taff from Ponty down into Cardiff are safe.

Pontypridd town centre under water, and homes along the river flooded.

Upper Boat area and Nantgarw have houses and properties flooded and water levels to car roof level.

Evacuations and flooding in Cardiff as well as the rain continues to fall.

Re: Major incident declared in South Wales

Just been looking at the Taff trail videos, a regular route of ours into town, its an awful situation for many

Lady I know in taffs well has had her basement flooded , her dads in hospital with a bleed on the brain and her mother is sectioned under the mental health act , it's safe to say shes stressed out

And a lot of that run off is heading down the Bay.

We seem to be hit by floods every year now and all the destruction that follows. Thank goodness our politicians are talking about the important things like building a bridge from Northern Ireland to Scotland that probably can't ever be built and our new Secretary of State covering the environment described environmental protection laws as “spirit crushing”...

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    And a lot of that run off is heading down the Bay.
    When I opened my curtains this morning the river was running into the bay at force ( full of debris ) .

I live in Prospect Place which is quite far along the bay .

I have lived here of and on for 6 years and never seen water running this far into the bay

Just imagine the flood defences that could be built (in England) with the HS2 money

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Just imagine the flood defences that could be built (in the south of England) with the HS2 money
    fixed it for you

Anyone remember the floods of 1979?

I see from today's photos that Hailey Park tennis courts are flooded, however, I can remember back in '79 only the very tops of the fence surounding the courts could be seen. The floodwater came all the way up to the Cow & Snuffers pub.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    fixed it for you
    You could probably correct that again to south east!

Council just cleared the culvert behind my house which was overflowing

2 men from council with 20 on lookers taking photos for effin facebook likes

There are people marking themselves as 'safe' on facebook.

Pictures of Berw Road with at least 30-40 people taking selfies

Bunch of effin idiots all of them

Social media has a lot to answer for - its made a whole new dumb and affected generation

Sympathies to all......I always made a point of living in a house on a hill....even in Aberdare...
    #
    Got to say though a beautiful weekend here in the Dordogne.......clear skies....sitting on the terrace in shirtsleeves with a bottle of wine...

Ok no environmentalist but when we been building on flood plains and run off areas for years it’s hardly surprising there’s no where else for the water to go too.

I remember decades ago....like late sixties....I worked for Midland bank as it was then....the Pontypridd branch basement got flooded and all the ledgers - in INK - got destroyed......after that they had to be written in BIRO!!!

The Taff has dropped by about a metre around Hailey Park in Llandaff North since lunch time. Now just 3 metres above its normal level. 😲

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Lady I know in taffs well has had her basement flooded , her dads in hospital with a bleed on the brain and her mother is sectioned under the mental health act , it's safe to say shes stressed out
    Oh that's dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    I remember decades ago....like late sixties....I worked for Midland bank as it was then....the Pontypridd branch basement got flooded and all the ledgers - in INK - got destroyed......after that they had to be written in BIRO!!!
    I used to work in Barclays in Pontypridd, in 1972/3 and one of my jobs, along with a colleague, was to go in to the basement and take everything above a 4ft level in case of flooding every time there was a flood warning. The rest of the time I juts wandered around with a piece of paper in my hand looking busy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    When I opened my curtains this morning the river was running into the bay at force ( full of debris ) .

I live in Prospect Place which is quite far along the bay .

I have lived here of and on for 6 years and never seen water running this far into the bay
    There was a high (10.31m) tide today which peaked just before the worst of the flood water arrived. Hopefully more water going out of the barrage than going in.
    Across the road from where I live, groundworks have started for 40 new houses half of which will be on a flood plain....guess what? Someone is going to have fun selling those when they are finished. "Lovely water feature" included in the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Anyone remember the floods of 1979?

I see from today's photos that Hailey Park tennis courts are flooded, however, I can remember back in '79 only the very tops of the fence surounding the courts could be seen. The floodwater came all the way up to the Cow & Snuffers pub.
    Yes a lot has been done since those floods

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I used to work in Barclays in Pontypridd, in 1972/3 and one of my jobs, along with a colleague, was to go in to the basement and take everything above a 4ft level in case of flooding every time there was a flood warning. The rest of the time I juts wandered around with a piece of paper in my hand looking busy!
    Were there more floods than bank robberies back in the day 😀 ??

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    If the wonky bar has been flooded, disastrous

Good array of flooding pics at Wales Online: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...storm-17757436

Below is one of Taff Street, Pontypridd.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    If the wonky bar has been flooded, disastrous
    It was fine. Walked through town at just after 12 and it was all gone, bar the debris.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    It was fine. Walked through town at just after 12 and it was all gone, bar the debris.
    I have a once a year pilgrimage to the Wonky Bar, a good honest no nonsense bar, and usually finish in the llanover, then legging it back to the station for the last train to the diff.