+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Smoking cessation fatigue

Smoking cessation fatigue

For the ex-smokers out there, did you suffer fatigue after quitting? I’m presently in week 7 having gone cold turkey without any patches, vape etc.

I’ve given up for as long as 5-6 months previously but this time I am totally exhausted. The fog just won’t lift and I’m wanting to go to bed by 8pm nightly. I don’t recall feeling like this before and concentrating at work is becoming increasingly difficult.

Re: Smoking cessation fatigue

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dargavel View Post
    For the ex-smokers out there, did you suffer fatigue after quitting? I’m presently in week 7 having gone cold turkey without any patches, vape etc.

I’ve given up for as long as 5-6 months previously but this time I am totally exhausted. The fog just won’t lift and I’m wanting to go to bed by 8pm nightly. I don’t recall feeling like this before and concentrating at work is becoming increasingly difficult.
    Did you have a coffee with a cigarette? I used to love a brew and a fag but when i stopped smoking my tea and coffee consumption went down massively. Did you drink loads of coffee when you smoked-if so this could be a reason for the come down. Alternatively it's something completely unrelated, your body will now be receiving more oxygen so you should have more energy?

My coffee intake has remained the same. I have a coffee before I leave for work and I’ll then have a second coffee during the morning. I don’t really drink tea or coffee again during the day. I’ve been reading various smoking cessation websites and people do report feeling exhausted for some months so perhaps it’s quite a normal response. I just find it odd that I’ve not felt like this when I’ve quit before. Although this time feels more definite and a friend thinks that on some level my body may be aware of this and is trying every last trick. I don’t feel like smoking though so it isn’t a craving. But it does feel like a massive withdrawal for certain.

Nail on head.Coffee and a fag went hand in hand for me.After a while I started drinking coffee again and now drink as much as when I smoked.Been 8yrs now for me so keep it up it will get better.Now I need to lose 3stone

I will be up to 16 years next month (9.00 pm on 12 March 2004 was my last cigarette) and the first 15 years were the worst!

Seriously, I did it cold turkey like you. Don't remember feeling tired. Irritable and edgy - counting every hour/day/week without smoking until eventually I didn't - but never tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dargavel View Post
    My coffee intake has remained the same. I have a coffee before I leave for work and I’ll then have a second coffee during the morning. I don’t really drink tea or coffee again during the day. I’ve been reading various smoking cessation websites and people do report feeling exhausted for some months so perhaps it’s quite a normal response. I just find it odd that I’ve not felt like this when I’ve quit before. Although this time feels more definite and a friend thinks that on some level my body may be aware of this and is trying every last trick. I don’t feel like smoking though so it isn’t a craving. But it does feel like a massive withdrawal for certain.
    A bit of a long shot, but it could be a bit of mental exhaustion. When i gave up my main concern was not smoking, nothing else really mattered, i focused really hard on not smoking for most of the day, the evenings were the easiest for me as i was settling down. I can also recall feeling a bit down as it was something i had done between 10 and 20 times per day for a large portion of my life, all of a sudden it was gone and i couldn't really replace the feeling or the action. Smoking was a way of breaking up the day for me, it was the start and end of most things that i did. When this abruptly ended i didn't really know what to do with myself at times. It also is a stimulant (for a very short period of time) it could just be your body adjusting. I think that you're doing brilliantly.

International

I quit on monday 13th Feb 2006 and never had a days problem.

I can happily smoke 1 now and it has no affect at all. I have done it on about 5 occasions over the years to disprove people who said if you have just one you start again lol

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post

I can happily smoke 1 now and it has no affect at all. I have done it on about 5 occasions over the years to disprove people who said if you have just one you start again lol
    How helpful of you to share your news of winning of the Best Quitter It Was Easy Award

Bloke I know reckoned it was easy to give up, he’d done it about five times.......dead now.

International

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    How helpful of you to share your news of winning of the Best Quitter It Was Easy Award
    Hypnosis!!! didn't belive in it, told the hypnotist I didn't and she said "You will be the perfect patient". It appears she was right lol Went to her surgery in Richmond road half an hour, I'd swear I can remember all our conversation, walked out and went straight to the pub
    People around me soking didn't bother mew went to work the next day and gave away 140 B&H.
    It wasn't me being big or clever, just lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Bloke I know reckoned it was easy to give up, he’d done it about five times.......dead now.

100% of non-smokers die. Period!

There may well be a time (very rareley) when at a weak point I will have one but thankfully its only the one as it tastes like shit and it's always just been when I'm hammered, in a certain person's company.

I never say I have given up smoking, just that I've stopped. It's been >9 years that I've not 'properly' smoked.
    Can't believe how expensive it is mun.

Hypnosis!!! didn't belive in it, told the hypnotist I didn't and she said "You will be the perfect patient". It appears she was right lol Went to her surgery in Richmond road half an hour, I'd swear I can remember all our conversation, walked out and went straight to the pub
    People around me soking didn't bother mew went to work the next day and gave away 140 B&H.
    It wasn't me being big or clever, just lucky.
    That's crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    A bit of a long shot, but it could be a bit of mental exhaustion. When i gave up my main concern was not smoking, nothing else really mattered, i focused really hard on not smoking for most of the day, the evenings were the easiest for me as i was settling down. I can also recall feeling a bit down as it was something i had done between 10 and 20 times per day for a large portion of my life, all of a sudden it was gone and i couldn't really replace the feeling or the action. Smoking was a way of breaking up the day for me, it was the start and end of most things that i did. When this abruptly ended i didn't really know what to do with myself at times. It also is a stimulant (for a very short period of time) it could just be your body adjusting. I think that you're doing brilliantly.
    Cheers. I do feel this is just withdrawal. I definitely cannot relax at the moment. My mind is racing constantly. Trying to watch an episode of a decent TV programme is quite the challenge just now.

I went for hypnosis when I lived in London in 2005. I spent £120 on a chap to talk to me like I was a child for 45 minutes while my eyes were closed. Upon “awakening” he asked me how it felt to be a non-smoker. I replied that I wouldn’t know, left his offices and lit a cigarette as soon as I got outside. It definitely did not work for me back then.