+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Remind yourself how good a goalscorer was Ian Rush....

Remind yourself how good a goalscorer was Ian Rush....

Re: Remind yourself how good a goalscorer was Ian Rush....

Look at the way his first touch always puts the ball exactly where he wants it and ready to strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    Look at the way his first touch always puts the ball exactly where he wants it and ready to strike.
    It might be me, but he always looked as if he had time to do what he wanted. Even when he didn't have the chance to take a touch to set himself up, he knows what he's going to do and he's ready for it. A masterclass.

I'd forgotten how good his left foot was. Some fantastic hits for what I consider a right footer.

Rumour has it he used to practice those tight turns inside a broom cupboard.

I think it's the way he hits the ball - clean and hard every time. The goalkeepers don't get near them.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I'd forgotten how good his left foot was. Some fantastic hits for what I consider a right footer.

....wouldn't like to guess which was his natural side..nice to see a two footed player..nelson could learn how to kick the ball with his left foot..diabolical

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    ....wouldn't like to guess which was his natural side..nice to see a two footed player..nelson could learn how to kick the ball with his left foot..diabolical
    Apparently Harry arter is about the most two footed player in the league at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Apparently Harry arter is about the most two footed player in the league at the moment
    Aye,when it comes to tackling.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Rumour has it he used to practice those tight turns inside a broom cupboard.
    That's also where he learned to brush off defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    Except for ...

9. Ian Rush

So much easier back then, defenders were loads slower. I'd like to see him up against Phil Jones or Shkodran Mustafi to see where he really stands in the list of great strikers, I suspect much further down

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    So much easier back then, defenders were loads slower. I'd like to see him up against Phil Jones or Shkodran Mustafi to see where he really stands in the list of great strikers, I suspect much further down
    Aden Flint would have had him in his pocket!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Aden Flint would have had him in his pocket!!!!
    Aden Flint would have scored just as many as him

I wonder how we would have faired in these days if one striker up front. Very different role to the one he played all his career. I thought Earnie was a victim of the trend to go one up top too.

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    He's very comfortable striking with either foot. But for control and dribbling he generally used his right first, so I think he's naturally right footed. May be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    I wonder how we would have faired in these days if one striker up front. Very different role to the one he played all his career. I thought Earnie was a victim of the trend to go one up top too.
    Watching that, Rush was very often the lone man up front running onto and outpacing defenders before putting it in the net. I reckon he’d have thrived in any era, some of his goals were of Whittingham standard

Unbelievable tekkers. How we could do with him in the Wales team.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Dalglish played behind, like a modern day number ten - Rush would have had no problem scoring goals these days.

Besides his running off the ball, he did a lot of tracking back and tackling. He was a hard-working player.

[QUOTE=NYCBlue;5049660]Besides his running off the ball, he did a lot of tracking back and tackling. He was a hard-working player.[/QUOTE
    First line of defence, he defended from the front, hell of a workhorse.