+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ampadu to start against Spurs tomorrow in UCL?

Ampadu to start against Spurs tomorrow in UCL?

It's looking very likely if they play 3 at the back. What an opportunity that would be, but it is also a double edged sword being thrown into such a big game having had only limited playing time.

Re: Ampadu to start against Spurs tomorrow in UCL?

And Chelsea dont look good at the moment the Lampard honeymoon over , no dig us out of mire transfer money about .

I know let's chuck in the youngsters, the ones we buy , and dont usually play , then loan them out to obscure clubs .

Feckless club, run by a dodgy Ruskie, who took over from an equally dodgy character.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It's looking very likely if they play 3 at the back. What an opportunity that would be, but it is also a double edged sword being thrown into such a big game having had only limited playing time.
    I think that central defence would suit his style of play. He's a front foot defender, he likes to get in front of the player he's marking. He's very assertive when attacking the ball. He plays a bit like Sol Bamba, although with more composure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I think that central defence would suit his style of play. He's a front foot defender, he likes to get in front of the player he's marking. He's very assertive when attacking the ball. He plays a bit like Sol Bamba, although with more composure.
    He did well on the weekend playing in the middle of a back three, but he only had 30 mins. It could have been a trial run for tomorrow. I'd like to see Wales try him there too before the Euro Finals, as it's a good option to have in a tournament, especially when you have a versatile player in the team who can drop back into defence if required.

He did well on the weekend playing in the middle of a back three, but he only had 30 mins. It could have been a trial run for tomorrow. I'd like to see Wales try him there too before the Euro Finals, as it's a good option to have in a tournament, especially when you have a versatile player in the team who can drop back into defence if required.
    ..trouble with Amps is his discipline..even after an early booking he'll risk another iffy tackle.
    Bookmark this and come back to it through the Euros..if he stays fit.

Heisenberg

He got 30mins on the weekend against a team who are one point off the bottom of the table and were already 3-0 down in the match and he hadn't played a single minute since coming on as a sub for the last half an hour in a dead-rubber against Lyon 7 games ago.

Isn't it just a bit of wishful thinking that he's suddenly going to be starting a Champions League knock-out game?

Not saying it's impossible but the evidence for him getting a start looks quite bare.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    He got 30mins on the weekend against a team who are one point off the bottom of the table and were already 3-0 down in the match and he hadn't played a single minute since coming on as a sub for the last half an hour in a dead-rubber against Lyon 7 games ago.

Isn't it just a bit of wishful thinking that he's suddenly going to be starting a Champions League knock-out game?

Not saying it's impossible but the evidence for him getting a start looks quite bare.
    He's a bit wild in how he plays in my opinion. There's a good player in there, he has some great attributes but i feel that when ive seen him play that he does go for balls that he shouldn't. I compared his game to sol bamba in an earlier post, they're both the kind of players who like to defend on the front foot, it's a risky tactic but when it comes off it looks brilliant. Rio Ferdinand and Sol Campbell were world class at playing that way. It also has it's risks, especially against better players who can make you look like a fool.

He really needs to be playing, he's still very young mentally,but physically he's very mature. If someone could get hold of him and maybe calm his game down a little then i reckon we'd be looking at a player. It's whether Ampadu has that ability to change is the question.

Heisenberg

He's a bit wild in how he plays in my opinion. There's a good player in there, he has some great attributes but i feel that when ive seen him play that he does go for balls that he shouldn't. I compared his game to sol bamba in an earlier post, they're both the kind of players who like to defend on the front foot, it's a risky tactic but when it comes off it looks brilliant. Rio Ferdinand and Sol Campbell were world class at playing that way. It also has it's risks, especially against better players who can make you look like a fool.

He really needs to be playing, he's still very young mentally,but physically he's very mature. If someone could get hold of him and maybe calm his game down a little then i reckon we'd be looking at a player. It's whether Ampadu has that ability to change is the question.
    This is the most important thing, in my opinion. He didn't play under Conte. He didn't play under Sarri. Lampard didn't fancy him and Nagelsmann clearly doesn't have a lot of confidence in him - judging by how little game time he's had this season. This should have been a big season for him, yet he's barely played.

I think he would have been better off going on loan to a top Championship team and playing regularly rather than having a high-profile loan to Leipzig but being a bench-warmer all season.

There's still time for him to progress, but he needs to make a big decision on where he's playing next season if he doesn't want his career to stagnate.

He won't play if they use a 4-4-2 formation, but they usually play 3-5-2 or 3-4-3, and if that is the case Ampadu is the only player available who can fill that role. Everybody else is either injured or suspended.

This is the most important thing, in my opinion. He didn't play under Conte. He didn't play under Sarri. Lampard didn't fancy him and Nagelsmann clearly doesn't have a lot of confidence in him - judging by how little game time he's had this season. This should have been a big season for him, yet he's barely played.

I think he would have been better off going on loan to a top Championship team and playing regularly rather than having a high-profile loan to Leipzig but being a bench-warmer all season.

There's still time for him to progress, but he needs to make a big decision on where he's playing next season if he doesn't want his career to stagnate.
    He's just turned 19. Nobody fancies defensive players who have just turned 19.

He's just turned 19. Nobody fancies defensive players who have just turned 19.
    He was 19 in september. His mind hasn't matured yet but his body certainly has. I think that the problem is that he's joined a very good team on loan where he would have to be performing at their level to get into the starting line up more regularly. Maybe he will play tonight, i don't know, and i don't know how much is riding on the game. He's capable in my opinion he just needs to compose himself a bit more.

Agree with this but hindsight is a wonderful thing, and it seemed like a really good move for him at the time because Leipzig are a team that are good at developing youngsters. A season in the Championship should definitely be his next move though, he HAS to play consistently next season

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Agree with this but hindsight is a wonderful thing, and it seemed like a really good move for him at the time because Leipzig are a team that are good at developing youngsters. A season in the Championship should definitely be his next move though, he HAS to play consistently next season
    It's definitely not a waste spending a year under Nagelsmann who is one of the best coaches in Europe, and he is also learning alongside some really good players. The Red Bull business model is to develop young talent and sell them on, and their best players are wanted by some of the biggest clubs in Europe.

Maybe he will play tonight, i don't know, and i don't know how much is riding on the game. He's capable in my opinion he just needs to compose himself a bit more.
    It could all be a bluff to confuse Spurs about how they are going to set up at the back, who themselves are also playing games saying that all their strikers are injured. However, the story about Ampadu being tested in the middle of a back 3 came from a Bild Sport interview with Nagelsmann.

BTW the Leipzig game is tomorrow, tonight it's Liverpool v Atlético Madrid.

Tottenham vs RB Leipzig: Ethan Ampadu’s patience could be rewarded on Champions League stage

"The Chelsea teenager has had to bide his time on loan in the Bundesliga, but injuries and suspension could now see him get a rare chance on the biggest stage"

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a9342881.html

Will he or won't he? Part of me thinks it is not a good idea, but on the other hand this could be the opportunity that he has been waiting for.

Tottenham vs RB Leipzig: Ethan Ampadu’s patience could be rewarded on Champions League stage

"The Chelsea teenager has had to bide his time on loan in the Bundesliga, but injuries and suspension could now see him get a rare chance on the biggest stage"

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a9342881.html

Will he or won't he? Part of me thinks it is not a good idea, but on the other hand this could be the opportunity that he has been waiting for.
    I think that it's a great idea (if he plays) that's what he's in it for, big opportunity for him to shine.

I think that it's a great idea (if he plays) that's what he's in it for, big opportunity for him to shine.
    Yep, make or break, sink or swim, etc., and just a few months before the Euros too. If you were writing a script this is it

Yep, make or break, sink or swim, etc., and just a few months before the Euros too. If you were writing a script this is it
    Good luck to him, i hope he plays a blinder. If he plays and does well this could be the catalyst to his career.

He starts!

He didn't play under Conte. He didn't play under Sarri. Lampard didn't fancy him and Nagelsmann clearly doesn't have a lot of confidence in him - judging by how little game time he's had this season. This should have been a big season for him, yet he's barely played.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    He starts!
    The question is will he start again?