+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Give someone a long enough piece of rope and they will eventually hang themselves. Thanks.
    Says the person living in Wales that voted for Brexit. WOOOOSH!

What about the people already here?

The last government figures showed that 2.7m out of the 3.6m EU nationals have applied for settled status, of which 2.5m applications have been concluded.

That still leaves another 900k people who have not yet applied (deadline is June'21), it will be interesting so see what happens, as the deadline is 6 months after the negotiation period ends.

Personally I may have the opposite problem. I'm moving to Poland from August, until 2022 or 2023, I guess I might need to qualify to work in Europe! Sadly moving those 750 jobs from UK to our new "in EU" facility.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueToujours View Post
    I don't usually get involved in this type of debate but cannot let you get away with such a misleading post.

The amount the UK paid to the EU varied from year to year but was mostly less than £20bn. In 2018 we were due to pay £17.4bn but with our discount or rebate, which was negotiated by Thatcher, this reduced to £13.2bn.This rebate applies every year. The EU paid £4bn back to the UK in various sponsored projects reducing it further to just over £9bn. There were also various research grants paid to UK universities and other organisations which further reduces the net amount to just over £7bn which I believe amounts to just over 1% of our GDP.

These figures are readily available from the UK Office of National Statistics whose head once stated that Boris Johnson's continual statement of £350m per week was 'a clear misuse of National Statistics'. I suggest that your post is that also.
    dml just got game, set & matched, absolutely brutal

While there may be further clarification in wider text, doesn't it seem strange that government would say that those who cannot speak due to a disability or health condition are more likely to be lower skilled workers? Isn't that discrimination? Doesn't it seem strange that you can become a UK ciitzen by proving you can speak Welsh or Scottish Gaelic but are less likely to be let into the country if you can speak these languages fluently?

Scottish government calling for Scottish visa system and I think we need to do the same in Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Do you really think the EU has a bigger say in how we replace traditional industry than Westminster?
    No I do not. I was thinking more on the lines of Cardiff and the people of Cardiff did O.K. remember we get everything!!, has the other areas of Wales done as well? and if not why not?, imagine growing up in a disadvantaged area, seeing the wonderful lives of everyone else but having jack shit yourself, after 20/30 years of being left behind what better way of putting your two fingers up to those with the posh house, a spare house to rent, and 3 foreign holidays a year, it was correctly stated by New York that Wales did very well from the EU dough, but I'm suggesting that not all of Wales benefitted from the dough and this could be an explanation as to why Wales voted to leave, it's just my alternative than calling people thick and racist. I really don't think that the majority are thick and racist but are generally totally fcked off with being left behind and watching the good life from the outside looking in, just look at all these celebrity programmes on TV with the glamour and good life, it's bound to have an affect on those who only have a pipe dream of this, resentment is a powerful tool and it's being given an opportunity to be used, Remain should have prevailed easily, as should have a Labour win at the previous election, poorer areas voted to leave and traditional Red areas voted Blue, there has been quite a shift over the world not just in the UK (like climate, things come and go in cycles) but labelling and name calling will only drive home the divide.
    Why did the Welsh government think it a good idea to leave Llanishen and not move outwards rather than inwards ?, would this have put more prosperity out of Cardiff and reduced central emissions as a Brucie bonus? I'm just a thick welder and don't understand these complicated business decisions.

Stand off Over

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It's interesting as unlimited migration as permitted within the EU had both advantages and disadvantages, of course. Some people felt, justifiably or unjustifiably, that their share of the pie would reduce (i.e. regarding jobs, state benefits etc) but others will be aware of staff shortages that may now occur in various industries. An unfair stereotype and mentioned merely for the point of amusement would be an old person voting for Brexit not realising that their carers may soon be in short supply (although it could be argued that we should train our own people and they should be more highly valued by society in general and pay them a more competitive wage).
    I am very pro-European myself and did not vote for Brexit but I do recognise that certain communities feel swamped by immigrants from elsewhere in the EU. In fact, last night I was informed by a German friend of mine that his local (and which used to be mine), which is in a rural town in Germany but on the Dutch border, has been taken over by Polish management, sells Polish beer and now had predominantly Polish clientele. Such an anecdote proves very little in itself but the nature of society changing so rapidly (and one in five German residents are now first or second generation immigrants) does make some people feel disenfranchised and/or disadvantaged.
    Like you I voted to stay but can see why other communities feel disadvantaged, your post is well positioned.

Strangely I was talking to an engineer from Leipzig who describes a lot of the areas in his country being have seen big increases by other cultures , then came an increase in crime , homelessness, debt and adverse effect on local communities.

I do think Europe has been very naive on this matter , they must know and see its not the most popular part of the European model and more Brexit type trouble lay ahead .

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    While there may be further clarification in wider text, doesn't it seem strange that government would say that those who cannot speak due to a disability or health condition are more likely to be lower skilled workers? Isn't that discrimination? Doesn't it seem strange that you can become a UK ciitzen by proving you can speak Welsh or Scottish Gaelic but are less likely to be let into the country if you can speak these languages fluently?

Scottish government calling for Scottish visa system and I think we need to do the same in Wales.
    As long we we exhaust our peoples abilities ,skills and job needs first, not create this unfair use of eastern Europeans via agencies instead of Welsh youngsters who are unemployed and need an opportunity.

So now people who voted leave are racist as well as stupid eh. I rest my case.
    In your case, the latter certainly applies and you've proved it incredibly well.

There are racist people in the UK. No doubt about it. There are those who dislike people because of their ethnicity and colour of their skin and wish they weren't in this country. I've talked to a few; grown (older) men who will say "sorry, yes, I'm racist but that's who I am". I have had too many conversations with people who think the EU controlled our borders and allowed black or asian people into the country. These people are also ignorant of the facts and certainly hate being corrected.

Evidence exists that educated people were most likely to vote remain; the least educated were most likely to vote leave. A report the other week showed that racism and prejudice were more prevalent in leave voters than remain.

That doesn't mean that every leave voter is thick, uneducated or is racist. I have met a few who have reasonably compelling, fact-based arguments. I know leave voters who are about as racist as Corbyn is an anti-semite - not at all. Brexit has been an interesting look at the demographics of the UK.

I have friends who support Brexit and we chat about it with no problems. I have lost friends over Brexit and couldn't care less, not so much over Brexit, but what they actually support when you strip away at things. I've received threats over my views on Brexit, yet I've never dished one out.

So, no I don't think that all leave voters are racist dimwits (though you must be pretty fecking stupid to be racist).

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    As long we we exhaust our peoples abilities ,skills and job needs first, not create this unfair use of eastern Europeans via agencies instead of Welsh youngsters who are unemployed and need an opportunity.
    This sounds a bit like Patrick Minford's plans on "realigning" our workforce. Cut back on inadequate benefits and force people into jobs that don't pay enough, unless the plan is to raise wages to encourage British workers into jobs they wouldn't normally do. Nah, thought not.

On one of my recent trips to Poland, my new Polish HR manager said "it's really strange now, as when you go shopping your hear so many Ukrainian voices"

It looks like a high proportion of workers in our new Polish factory will be Ukrainian, as there are not enough Poles available!

Scotland is part of the UK, so yes they should accept it. Also you are accusing 17.4 million people (including those who voted for it in Scotland) of being stupid which is a typical attitude of remainers in general, who will not accept the result of a binding democratic vote and it also says a lot about your general attitude to life. Wales was receiving money from the EU but the UK as a whole paid over £20 billion a year into EU coffers - there is nothing like giving you your own money back is there and then bragging about it.
    What do you mean when you say people should 'accept the result'?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    This sounds a bit like Patrick Minford's plans on "realigning" our workforce. Cut back on inadequate benefits and force people into jobs that don't pay enough, unless the plan is to raise wages to encourage British workers into jobs they wouldn't normally do. Nah, thought not.
    I earn 25k in a dull office job and I wouldn't wipe old peoples arses all day in a care home for less than 100k. Even if they were to raise wages in certain sectors it wouldn't make enough of a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I earn 25k in a dull office job and I wouldn't wipe old peoples arses all day in a care home for less than 100k. Even if they were to raise wages in certain sectors it wouldn't make enough of a difference.
    Hence the next stage is welfare reduction. Force people into doing things.