Click here for Cardiff City personalised gift shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 63

Thread: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

  1. #1

    Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    The points threshold will be carefully set to attract the talent the UK needs. Skilled workers will need to meet a number of relevant criteria, including specific skills and the ability to speak English,
    New points based system: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/h...gration-system

    prove your knowledge of English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic. Exceptions include if you're over age of 65 or have a health condition that would make you unable to
    How to naturalise as a UK citizen: https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship...eave-to-remain

  2. #2

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Farmers and the care industry will be badly affected by this. Others too, probably.

  3. #3

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    You Taffs canít moan because you voted to leave in the Majority.
    Obviously fruit and veg prices will ultimately rise as thereís nobody prepared to do the back breaking seasonal work.
    My mother in law recently passed away, she suffered from Alzheimerís and was in lowerth Jones for five years until they closed it and then landough.
    The majority of staff of whom I had the utmost admiration had low paid menial roles.
    Try filling those jobs...🤔
    Macdonalds donít even pay £25,000 a year so I think your government has deliberately set the wage criteria as a migrant feck off tablet!!

  4. #4

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    Iíve just done the online British citizenship test and FAILED
    15 correct out of 24
    I dare you lot to have a try and see just how many of you will be deported in the morning lol 😂

  5. #5

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Padraig1968 View Post
    You Taffs canít moan because you voted to leave in the Majority.
    Obviously fruit and veg prices will ultimately rise as thereís nobody prepared to do the back breaking seasonal work.
    My mother in law recently passed away, she suffered from Alzheimerís and was in lowerth Jones for five years until they closed it and then landough.
    The majority of staff of whom I had the utmost admiration had low paid menial roles.
    Try filling those jobs...🤔
    Macdonalds donít even pay £25,000 a year so I think your government has deliberately set the wage criteria as a migrant feck off tablet!!
    Last summer there was an interesting video taken, possibly by the Beeb, asking leave voters what immigrants we don't want. Each one of them was certain that we have too many immigrants coming in, yet when presented with a list of jobs that immigrants are known for filling, not one person could actually say what immigrants they wanted to stop coming in.

  6. #6

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Padraig1968 View Post
    I’ve just done the online British citizenship test and FAILED
    15 correct out of 24
    I dare you lot to have a try and see just how many of you will be deported in the morning lol ��
    20/24 I can stay

  7. #7

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    it's easy..just jump in a dinghy..get picked up near dover..you're in.

  8. #8

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    The Tory plan sticks out a mile, it was always the way that the more well off in society ran the show, factory owners, head charangs of the large construction companies etc and it followed that these were Conservative backers. The EU to a certain extent stopped their gallop of shite wages, poor working conditions, flouting of health & safety etc. Immigrant workers were coming in and being treated properly and fairly, in my opinion that grated on many greedy ‘bosses’. It’s music to their ears now that many of the lower (but fairly) paid and lesser skilled operatives will be refused entry. Legal immigration will slow down but I fear illegal sweat shop immigration from non EU countries will increase and perhaps a blind eye will be turned by this Tory government to the practice of low wages, poor working conditions and H & E with an ‘If you don’t like it, f*ck off’ type of attitude. The less well off in society could bring facing Victorian like hard times.

  9. #9

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    I agree SP
    Black market labour will flourish 🤨

  10. #10

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    In addition, the seasonal workers pilot will also be expanded in time for the 2020 harvest from 2,500 to 10,000 places, responding to the specific temporary requirements of the agricultural sector.

    So that covers farming shortages.

  11. #11

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Padraig1968 View Post
    Iíve just done the online British citizenship test and FAILED
    15 correct out of 24
    I dare you lot to have a try and see just how many of you will be deported in the morning lol 😂
    21/24

    Don't see how some of the questions are relevant to citizenship, though

  12. #12

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    13/24 second go 😂🤭

  13. #13

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Welshcake. View Post
    In addition, the seasonal workers pilot will also be expanded in time for the 2020 harvest from 2,500 to 10,000 places, responding to the specific temporary requirements of the agricultural sector.

    So that covers farming shortages.
    I hope immigrants give a giant 'V' sign to coming here. If we can't protect those coming into the UK to work for us, show them dignity and let them stay if work allows, then we deserve to be shat on.

  14. #14

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    I did a test had 22/24, but some of that was picked up in my 46 years.

    Health and social care will be impacted on massively, they can't recruit into care posts now, never mind in the future.

  15. #15

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    There will be impacts in the health and social care sectors as well as farming and others. However, it what people voted for and democracy shouldn't be ignored.

  16. #16

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Padraig1968 View Post
    You Taffs canít moan because you voted to leave in the Majority.
    Obviously fruit and veg prices will ultimately rise as thereís nobody prepared to do the back breaking seasonal work.
    My mother in law recently passed away, she suffered from Alzheimerís and was in lowerth Jones for five years until they closed it and then landough.
    The majority of staff of whom I had the utmost admiration had low paid menial roles.
    Try filling those jobs...🤔
    Macdonalds donít even pay £25,000 a year so I think your government has deliberately set the wage criteria as a migrant feck off tablet!!
    Cardiff voted 60% remain so I can moan!

  17. #17

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    It's interesting as unlimited migration as permitted within the EU had both advantages and disadvantages, of course. Some people felt, justifiably or unjustifiably, that their share of the pie would reduce (i.e. regarding jobs, state benefits etc) but others will be aware of staff shortages that may now occur in various industries. An unfair stereotype and mentioned merely for the point of amusement would be an old person voting for Brexit not realising that their carers may soon be in short supply (although it could be argued that we should train our own people and they should be more highly valued by society in general and pay them a more competitive wage).
    I am very pro-European myself and did not vote for Brexit but I do recognise that certain communities feel swamped by immigrants from elsewhere in the EU. In fact, last night I was informed by a German friend of mine that his local (and which used to be mine), which is in a rural town in Germany but on the Dutch border, has been taken over by Polish management, sells Polish beer and now had predominantly Polish clientele. Such an anecdote proves very little in itself but the nature of society changing so rapidly (and one in five German residents are now first or second generation immigrants) does make some people feel disenfranchised and/or disadvantaged.

  18. #18

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    The UK has always had full control over legal non-EU immigration. It isn't part of the Schengen agreement. It could even have delayed immigration from the EU by 7 years but chose not to do so in 2004 and 2007.

    The idea that we have no control is just one of Johnson's Straw Man arguments: what you do is create a problem which doesn't really exist, using fallacious arguments, so you can then claim the credit for solving it.

    This is a crowd-pleaser which a lot of people will love until they see that nothing has changed. The Govt will quietly create all kinds of exceptional categories and all will be exactly as it is now. NHS staff, carers, cheap car washes etc will still be done by 'immigrants'. And then the truth will come out.

    British workers on low pay will still be low-paid. The unemployment black-spots will not create new jobs because of this. Hard-working people on council house waiting lists will still be waiting, paying through the nose for private rent.

    But it looks good doesn't it. And in Brexit Britain, that's what counts.

  19. #19

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    There will be impacts in the health and social care sectors as well as farming and others. However, it what people voted for and democracy shouldn't be ignored.
    It hasn't been ignored and it's going to make this country worse for those who voted for it.

    Many were sold an unobtainable version of Brexit, the reality is what we are starting to see now.

  20. #20

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    22 / 24. There is no chance someone who has just landed on these shores would pass it, s'pose that's the idea though.

  21. #21

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Padraig1968 View Post
    You Taffs canít moan because you voted to leave in the Majority.
    Obviously fruit and veg prices will ultimately rise as thereís nobody prepared to do the back breaking seasonal work.
    My mother in law recently passed away, she suffered from Alzheimerís and was in lowerth Jones for five years until they closed it and then landough.
    The majority of staff of whom I had the utmost admiration had low paid menial roles.
    Try filling those jobs...🤔
    Macdonalds donít even pay £25,000 a year so I think your government has deliberately set the wage criteria as a migrant feck off tablet!!
    Dont decking drag me into this. Brexit is the biggest mistake the UK have ever made. I didn't vote for it. Neither did 48% of us.

  22. #22

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I hope immigrants give a giant 'V' sign to coming here. If we can't protect those coming into the UK to work for us, show them dignity and let them stay if work allows, then we deserve to be shat on.
    I was speaking to a waitress the other day. Polish, has lived, worked and paid her taxes here for 16 years. Brexit has unsettled her so much she was still considering whether to apply for settled status which would then allow her to stay.
    Made me feel physically sick.
    This is not the Britain, I did, at one time, love.

  23. #23

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Padraig1968 View Post
    I’ve just done the online British citizenship test and FAILED
    15 correct out of 24
    I dare you lot to have a try and see just how many of you will be deported in the morning lol ��
    A few years ago I did an office Christmas quiz with questions from the citizenship test. The most anyone got was 70%.

    I remember one question about the Huguenots coming from France in 1671 or something. Why on earth is this kind of shite in there?

  24. #24

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Dont decking drag me into this. Brexit is the biggest mistake the UK have ever made. I didn't vote for it. Neither did 48% of us.
    In the interests of balance I would like to point out that Brexit is not the biggest mistake the UK has ever made, I did vote for it, as did 52% of us. If only the other 48% would accept the result of a democratic vote, stop moaning and get on with it, the country would be a much happier place.

  25. #25

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    In the interests of balance I would like to point out that Brexit is not the biggest mistake the UK has ever made, I did vote for it, as did 52% of us.
    Lucky you don't have a history of sticking to your guns arguing about something unpopular despite being presented with evidence to the contrary 100s of times.

  26. #26

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    In the interests of balance I would like to point out that Brexit is not the biggest mistake the UK has ever made, I did vote for it, as did 52% of us. If only the other 48% would accept the result of a democratic vote, stop moaning and get on with it, the country would be a much happier place.
    You're right there dml. Brexit is definitely not the biggest mistake the UK has ever made.

    It will be the biggest mistake the UK has ever made.

  27. #27

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    Why the **** would a 21st Century immigrant to the UK know who Torvil and Dean are? Does anyone under 40 know who they are?

  28. #28

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    In the interests of balance I would like to point out that Brexit is not the biggest mistake the UK has ever made, I did vote for it, as did 52% of us. If only the other 48% would accept the result of a democratic vote, stop moaning and get on with it, the country would be a much happier place.
    There's a difference between accepting the result and accepting the problems that are widely predicted to arise. A friend of mine publicly admitted on social media that he'd be happy to accept Brexit even if it meant everyone in his constituency losing their jobs. I accept he wants to leave and he's got his way. I will never accept that attitude of f*ck everyone else, I don't care how badly people are affected.

    This isn't voting in a new captain of the golf club or a new chairman of a choir. It's something that has far reaching complications, some we don't even know about yet, and will affect all of our lives, many in a negative way. Yet we're told to shut up and put up with it because some people don't want black people here.

  29. #29

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    In the interests of balance I would like to point out that Brexit is not the biggest mistake the UK has ever made, I did vote for it, as did 52% of us. If only the other 48% would accept the result of a democratic vote, stop moaning and get on with it, the country would be a much happier place.
    Should the people of Scotland blindly accept the will of a bunch of ****ing idiots in England and Wales who were too stupid to see they were being lied to? Wales receives almost £700M a year from the EU. Do you think Boris and his chums are going to be as generous?

  30. #30
    First Team Nelsonca61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Melmac, Aldente Nebula, Andromeda Galaxy
    Posts
    3,380

    Re: Is it now harder to come to the UK than it is to become a UK citizen?

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Should the people of Scotland blindly accept the will of a bunch of ****ing idiots in England and Wales who were too stupid to see they were being lied to? Wales receives almost £700M a year from the EU. Do you think Boris and his chums are going to be as generous?
    Calling people thick, remember Hillary’s deplorables ?, isn’t the way to engage voters, I would suggest it has the opposite effect and just like in Merica produced a kick back from a big sector of the electorate . You have made the valid point of the level of subsidy from the EU to Wales, but, and importantly IMO, many people in Wales never saw the benefits of this EU subsidy, we have generations of youngsters in areas of Wales not used to the concept of work because there wasn’t anything suitable to replace the traditional industries when they were removed (and all whilst the UK was in the EU), instead of competing with the leave fairy tale stories on the side of busses etc. the remain camp should have went on the offensive with the positives, ramming home achievements, this should have been the easiest vote ever for the remain side to have won but they allowed themselves to get sucked into a dirty campaign and basically ended up just calling people thick and racist and never once considering why people felt left out during the prosperity of the EU, just perhaps it was the only way the left out of Wales and areas of the North could have any effect on changing destiny even if it wasn’t going to be for the better, they made the country hear them. And did they just!!!!. It was the people of Wales who decided, the people didn’t not want to be in the club %age, but the Welsh government’s during the period of EU legislation/rule etc. should be taking a long hard look at itself at how they managed to let the people of Wales to think that they would be better off outside, they made the decisions and allocated the money.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •