+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loads of empty seats in the Emptyhad

Loads of empty seats in the Emptyhad

The bubble is bursting

Re: Loads of empty seats in the Emptyhad

The problem being a plastic is when the going gets tough many don't have the connection the likes of us have with our club.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    The problem being a plastic is when the going gets tough many don't have the connection the likes of us have with our club.
    yes we pack the place out every week don't we

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I'm sure if we are 2nd in the Premier with world class players then yes we would, but we are 9th in the championship with no recognised striker

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    I'm sure if we are 2nd in the Premier with world class players then yes we would, but we are 9th in the championship with no recognised striker
    In Paterson we trust....

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Are you suggesting a plastic fan has as much connection with their club as someone who goes every week to watch their team?

Like when they dropped to league 1 and still had 30,000 every week?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I didn't say they weren't a bigger club than us.

Are you suggesting a plastic fan has as much connection with their club as someone who goes every week to watch their team?
    No but we can't really gloat too much about empty seats and our loyal fanbase when if we're not in the Premiership or top of the Championship the stadium's half full every week and we get 4k for a cup game

Well they certainly have more fans with a connection when the going gets tough, probably twice as many in fact. We only just get 30,000 in the premier league.

Yes, because that would mean you are insane

I think it's the lack of plastics that's hurting them. Midweek kick off for a rearranged game. That's a huge opportunity for plastics.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I think it's the lack of plastics that's hurting them. Midweek kick off for a rearranged game. That's a huge opportunity for plastics.
    This is most probably the correct answer, you’d imagine every fan in the ground last night was ‘a fan’, not someone there for a day out, taking selfies with their souvenier half and half scarf around their neck.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    This is most probably the correct answer, you’d imagine every fan in the ground last night was ‘a fan’, not someone there for a day out, taking selfies with their souvenier half and half scarf around their neck.
    Yep I don’t think Man City have to suffer the coachloads of saddest people known to mankind who travel from places like the valleys and cardiff suburbs to watch their beloved pool or Utd every few months, a relief for them no doubt.

I have friends who are Man City fans and went occasionally to watch them. They did have big crowds. But im fairly certain they did not have 30000 each week.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I have friends who are Man City fans and went occasionally to watch them. They did have big crowds. But im fairly certain they did not have 30000 each week.
    Quite correct their average attendance in the third tier was only 28,261 in a 30,000 capacity stadium (Maine Rd was being redeveloped)

Yep I don’t think Man City have to suffer the coachloads of saddest people known to mankind who travel from places like the valleys and cardiff suburbs to watch their beloved pool or Utd every few months, a relief for them no doubt.
    I do think that they remember that they are ‘proper’ fans as well, they don’t sit there gooey eyed over the Champions League theme tune. They’ve been through the shit times, same as the majority of us, and realise that they’ve won the lottery. But they seem to be like a grounded lottery winner who sees right through the falseness of new found wealth. I mix and talk to a lot of Man City long term fans who take the piss out of the followers of the likes of Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool etc who go to pieces if their 200 mile away beloved club falls out of the top 6. The ones I know say they’ve had a great ten years, seen things they’ve never thought possible and if it goes tits up that’s typical Man City. On a smaller scale a bit like us, I never thought when I was travelling round the country in the car or minibus to places like Rochdale & Darlington that I’d see the City in the top flight, FA Cup Final, League Cup Final etc and seeing fleets of 52 seaters full of City fans pulling up outside away grounds. Don’t knock local fans because they haven’t got their numbers swelled by blokes ‘supporting’ their club from their armchairs who may visit once a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    The bubble is bursting
    Lots of empty seats at the Southampton v Burnley game the other day. Also Championship gates dramatically down in mid week. It seems that ST holders are less likely to attend games they don't fancy than they were a couple of years ago. The total saturation of TV football 6 days - sometimes 7 - a week, is starting to have an effect on gates. What can't be ignored also, is that today's football whilst allegedly containing the best footballers we've ever had [a generalisation], is for the most part boring. clubs are adept at getting quickly behind the ball and stopping the other side so it ends up 'attack v defence' for around 80 minutes - in the case of Man.City for all their undoubted talent if you've watched one of their games you might have well watched all 38..

I think I've read that the average age of a football crowd is around mid 40s or 50s, kids just aren't getting attracted to watching live football like they once were.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I think I've read that the average age of a football crowd is around mid 40s or 50s, kids just aren't getting attracted to watching live football like they once were.
    And they're the demographic most likely to have work / family commitments so can't make a rearranged midweek game

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    And they're the demographic most likely to have work / family commitments so can't make a rearranged midweek game
    As well as a lot of people being poorer whilst tickets are more expensive that ever.

Never got why people gloat about Man City's attendances, the majority of clubs would be the same bar the ones with tons of plastics.

Never understood the Man City bashing. Before the takeover they were a decent club with decent supporters.

As for the ‘new’ fans. What’s the difference between any other team?

do you think the midweek sky sports red button option has anything to do with attendances being down?

And Newport v Salford was on Sky too!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I do think that they remember that they are ‘proper’ fans as well, they don’t sit there gooey eyed over the Champions League theme tune. They’ve been through the shit times, same as the majority of us, and realise that they’ve won the lottery. But they seem to be like a grounded lottery winner who sees right through the falseness of new found wealth. I mix and talk to a lot of Man City long term fans who take the piss out of the followers of the likes of Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool etc who go to pieces if their 200 mile away beloved club falls out of the top 6. The ones I know say they’ve had a great ten years, seen things they’ve never thought possible and if it goes tits up that’s typical Man City. On a smaller scale a bit like us, I never thought when I was travelling round the country in the car or minibus to places like Rochdale & Darlington that I’d see the City in the top flight, FA Cup Final, League Cup Final etc and seeing fleets of 52 seaters full of City fans pulling up outside away grounds. Don’t knock local fans because they haven’t got their numbers swelled by blokes ‘supporting’ their club from their armchairs who may visit once a year.
    Well said. I moved north when I was 18 for Uni and stayed after and married a blue. Father in law had a season ticket at Man City until he just couldn’t go any more for health reasons. He retired last year from the Bredbury Blues . I went occasionally to Maine Road with him and with the odd Kinkladze moment etc they were shite. But you keep going and eventually they got some money. Their fans are good. We are quite similar I think.