Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
I do think that they remember that they are ‘proper’ fans as well, they don’t sit there gooey eyed over the Champions League theme tune. They’ve been through the shit times, same as the majority of us, and realise that they’ve won the lottery. But they seem to be like a grounded lottery winner who sees right through the falseness of new found wealth. I mix and talk to a lot of Man City long term fans who take the piss out of the followers of the likes of Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool etc who go to pieces if their 200 mile away beloved club falls out of the top 6. The ones I know say they’ve had a great ten years, seen things they’ve never thought possible and if it goes tits up that’s typical Man City. On a smaller scale a bit like us, I never thought when I was travelling round the country in the car or minibus to places like Rochdale & Darlington that I’d see the City in the top flight, FA Cup Final, League Cup Final etc and seeing fleets of 52 seaters full of City fans pulling up outside away grounds. Don’t knock local fans because they haven’t got their numbers swelled by blokes ‘supporting’ their club from their armchairs who may visit once a year.
Well said. I moved north when I was 18 for Uni and stayed after and married a blue. Father in law had a season ticket at Man City until he just couldn’t go any more for health reasons. He retired last year from the Bredbury Blues . I went occasionally to Maine Road with him and with the odd Kinkladze moment etc they were shite. But you keep going and eventually they got some money. Their fans are good. We are quite similar I think.