+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stoke on Saturday - where to go before

Stoke on Saturday - where to go before

I’ve been to Stoke a few times but I’ve always taken the car and parked dead close to the 365.

On this occasion I’ll be getting the train. Where do away fans go before for a drink?

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Re: Stoke on Saturday - where to go before

Stoke and the Potteries are a complete sh*t hole
    Apart from that ...

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Stoke and the Potteries are a complete sh*t hole
    Apart from that ...
    I've never been so always take these comments with a pinch of salt, knowing full well many who haven't been here would say the same about cardiff. All cities of course have their deprived areas.

I googled Stoke then went to images and noticed this article, safe to say its not sponsored by Visit Stoke https://www.ilivehere.co.uk/stoke-on...-on-trent.html

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I've never been so always take these comments with a pinch of salt, knowing full well many who haven't been here would say the same about cardiff. All cities of course have their deprived areas.

I googled Stoke then went to images and noticed this article, safe to say its not sponsored by Visit Stoke https://www.ilivehere.co.uk/stoke-on...-on-trent.html
    I’m aware that it’s a proper dump.

Must be somewhere where away fans tend to go though?

Only went there once.Drove in and out as quick as possible. Grateful I had wheels left on car after match.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    I’ve been to Stoke a few times but I’ve always taken the car and parked dead close to the 365.

On this occasion I’ll be getting the train. Where do away fans go before for a drink?
    Large pub just outside ground. Family & away supporters friendly. Something like Wetherspoons.

The suburbs around the CCS is a complete shithole too.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Canton is not a shithole.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Canton is not a shithole.
    This is true

Canton is great

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...e-17634165.amp

PS:——— Don’t wear colours, badges or anything that denotes Cardiff, if you’re thinking of having a pint in Sjoke !!!!!
    Oh, don’t open your gob either

Last time I went by train was for an F.A. Cup tie there many years ago and we were met on the station platform by the Staffordshire Constabulary handing out Welcome to Stoke leaflets which directed us to a bar at a Students Union place. There were double decker buses then to take us to the ground and back again to the station after the game. Not sure if this will be the case for the League game on Saturday though. Check out Footballgroundguide on the internet for up to date info. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by TERRY BLUE View Post
    Last time I went by train was for an F.A. Cup tie there many years ago and we were met on the station platform by the Staffordshire Constabulary handing out Welcome to Stoke leaflets which directed us to a bar at a Students Union place. There were double decker buses then to take us to the ground and back again to the station after the game. Not sure if this will be the case for the League game on Saturday though. Check out Footballgroundguide on the internet for up to date info. Hope this helps.
    So much for “freedom of movement”

Having lived in Stoke (Newcastle under Lyme) for a couple of years & having one of my sons in Uni in Stoke. I beg to differ. In fact I'd say of all of the towns / cities we go to Stoke is by far the most similar to Cardiff (& even more so the valleys). My Bluebird badged car survived with no issues during my time there.

The people are great and amongst the friendliest I've worked with, their attitude about not being loved and overlooked is the same as South Wales and there are many similarities between the history of the pottery & mining industries. I'm going to the game with my ex-Stokie work mates & will be quaffing in Delilah's with them.

Shithole? Probably. But look around you! The people are real & not pretentious like some of the places we go to.

If the police aren't being a bit heavy handed and herding people onto buses outside the station then head to the BOD bar actually on the station, platform 1 - https://stoke.bodcafebars.co.uk/#about . You can get into it from the outside too. Great selection of beers and a really nice friendly place. From there get a taxi to the ground. If you want to experience the fun of the potteries then get the bus outside the station and head into Hanley. There is a couple of pubs like Spoons/Lloyds next to each other as well as a few other slightly rougher bars a short walk away.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post

I don’t disagree about parts of Grangetown but cannot agree about all the surrounding suburbs

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    If the police aren't being a bit heavy handed and herding people onto buses outside the station then head to the BOD bar actually on the station, platform 1 - https://stoke.bodcafebars.co.uk/#about . You can get into it from the outside too. Great selection of beers and a really nice friendly place. From there get a taxi to the ground. If you want to experience the fun of the potteries then get the bus outside the station and head into Hanley. There is a couple of pubs like Spoons/Lloyds next to each other as well as a few other slightly rougher bars a short walk away.
    Thanks everyone for assistance

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Having lived in Stoke (Newcastle under Lyme) for a couple of years & having one of my sons in Uni in Stoke. I beg to differ. In fact I'd say of all of the towns / cities we go to Stoke is by far the most similar to Cardiff (& even more so the valleys). My Bluebird badged car survived with no issues during my time there.

The people are great and amongst the friendliest I've worked with, their attitude about not being loved and overlooked is the same as South Wales and there are many similarities between the history of the pottery & mining industries. I'm going to the game with my ex-Stokie work mates & will be quaffing in Delilah's with them.

Shithole? Probably. But look around you! The people are real & not pretentious like some of the places we go to.
    To be fair that is a good write up for Stoke.

I have worked with a load of Stokies over the years (or Potheads as they like to be referred as) and they have all been sound. Been taken to Port Vale games with them and Stoke as well. Stoke can be a bit of a rum place to be at weekends but the locals are usually pretty sound.

Some areas are very run down but you won't end up there unless you get very lost on your travels. Just avoid the Potteries centre - it is by far the worst shopping centre in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post

You beg to differ but align yourself to the majority of posters in this thread, that Stoke is indeed a shithole?

Burslem great force cheap pint and guaranteed ruck

Was that at the Victoria Ground? We scored first and ended up losing 2-1. It was seen as something of a glamour tie at the time.

No mate, it was at the Brittania stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Was that at the Victoria Ground? We scored first and ended up losing 2-1. It was seen as something of a glamour tie at the time.
    Saw us get beat 4-1 in the cup in 1968 at the Victoria Ground, went by train, messing about on there and got locked in the guards van on the way up. Thought we were going to miss our stop but the bugger let us out just before Stoke station, taught us a lesson, don’t f*ck about on trains

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Saw us get beat 4-1 in the cup in 1968 at the Victoria Ground, went by train, messing about on there and got locked in the guards van on the way up. Thought we were going to miss our stop but the bugger let us out just before Stoke station, taught us a lesson, don’t f*ck about on trains
    I was most probably on the same train, you young whipasnappers couldn’t behave then

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I was most probably on the same train, you young whipasnappers couldn’t behave then
    The relegation game when billy ayre god bless him was in charge was a riot basically

After the game the police totally lost control , they battered a city fan who was on the floor on his own then got chased by a load of city nutters

They arrested loads of cardiff fans after the echo , wrongly in my opinion , collaborated with Staffordshire police and printed wanted photos in the paper

Nobody was charged as basically the police were seen beating a defenceless man on the floor

People lost their jobs over having their faces printed as hooligans

No mate, it was at the Brittania stadium.
    Yes , we played them in 86 at the victoria ground , alan curtis scored and then at the new place a few years ago in the cup

What about the game where the coaches had to pull up at a park in Stoke and we had to go through airport type security, over the top? Or what???