+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Midfield - which two from four?

Midfield - which two from four?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-pack-17777352

I think I'd stick with Vaulks and Pack for now, but would be looking at Ralls coming in as soon as one of them faltered. For me, Bacuna is definitely fourth choice - I don't get the talk about him being an effective box to box player when he has one goal in twenty nine league appearances this season, while Ralls has five (albeit two of them are penalties) in fifteen matches. Although Ralls was unable to find his scoring touch in the Premier League, he scored seven from midfield in 17/18.

Re: Midfield - which two from four?

For me Vaulks has gone from 4th to 1st for me at the moment.

Bacuna better than Pack by some distance and I actually really like him as a player. Bacuna does the tracking back better than Pack and has better tackling speed and stamina

I think we need to stick with Vaulks, he seems to have clicked recently. I honestly think we could have a real player on our hands in Will Vaulks, he’s got that touch of arrogance about him which has been emerging these last few games.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I’d like Ralls to get some game time with Vaulks. so we can see how he goes

IMO Pack plays too close to the back four. doesn’t make quality passes and is less effective on the break

Interesting point about the Centre Backs and Pack. I hadn't even thought of that tbh.

Vaulks with either Ralls or Bacuna.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Vaulks with either Ralls or Bacuna.
    Same as this

For me pack doesn't suit our style if there was lots of movement around him would be fine but that's not how we play.

I didn't realise how much Gunarsson did until he has gone.

Same as OP.

But I don't think it will be long before Ralls takes over from Pack. When he does, I think we lose a little bit defensively but gain better distribution of the ball. Pack has given the ball away so many times, it's become a given every game.

Pack was definitely needed when Flint was playing centre half but maybe less so now. He did score on Saturday ( albeit I think it was registered as an own goal). Joe Ralls needs to get match fit so a few sub appearances to begin with then I would like to see him and Vaulks as the middle two

Do we only have to pick two of them? How about a diamond formation with Pack at the base, Ralls and Vaulks in the middle, and Tomlin at the top?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Do we only have to pick two of them? How about a diamond formation with Pack at the base, Ralls and Vaulks in the middle, and Tomlin at the top?
    I've thought that well, but if Murphy keeps up his current form, he should be in from the start and Tomlin is our likely Player of the season. Nathan Blake often says he thinks Murphy could play down the middle, but him up front with Tomlin as a number ten or the pair of them as a front two is a leap too far I reckon!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've thought that well, but if Murphy keeps up his current form, he should be in from the start and Tomlin is our likely Player of the season. Nathan Blake often says he thinks Murphy could play down the middle, but him up front with Tomlin as a number ten or the pair of them as a front two is a leap too far I reckon!
    It would be a 4-1-2-1-2 formation with Tomlin at the top of the diamond, so we could play Murphy and Paterson up front.

It would be a 4-1-2-1-2 formation with Tomlin at the top of the diamond, so we could play Murphy and Paterson up front.
    Course it would - sorry .

This. Mix & match forwards & wingers, supported by Ralls, Vaulks & Tomlin, with Pack staying at home. Basically 5-5

2 wingers up top works on FIFA I'd go Murphy and Adomah up top.

If I was playing a computer game.

Ralls and Pack

None of the 4 strikers playing and none of the wide men playing wide.

I wouldn't be against this but i do think our midfield is weak compared to others so the 2 options are don't use it or over crowd it.

I do think our current system is let down a bit as the wide men are almost not part of the midfield and should be tucked in a bit

Ralls was rushed back too soon last time. At least with Vaulks current form he doesnt have to be rushed back.

When fully fit Ralls is our best centre midfielder. Its close who plays alongside him between Vaulks and Pack.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Same as this

For me pack doesn't suit our style if there was lots of movement around him would be fine but that's not how we play.

I didn't realise how much Gunarsson did until he has gone.
    Enlighten me .

Although he did have a fantastic season after I thought he was done a couple of years ago.

His last season was non productive arm waving Gunnerson at his least effective.

Vaulks has been a revelation recently. What a clean tidy football player , always in the midst of the good things happening in the game.
    Long may it continue.
    That said Bacuna had a couple of games when he started to look like the real deal and faded somewhat .
    Whether the balance would be right with Ralls and Vaulks we wait to see .
    Pack hasnt done much wrong in my eyes so happy to see him continue with Vaulks in the meantime.