+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Let's be honest , we have the basis of a good side here

Let's be honest , we have the basis of a good side here

With one or two additions and getting rid of the surplus , I would have us down as a play off side next season

This season we are still in with a chance but it will be no failure if we dont make it

Come on city

Re: Let's be honest , we have the basis of a good side here

The problem is, there's hardly a side in the division that couldn't be a playoff side with 2 good signings. And our recruitment track record is patchy at best

On the plus side, we have players with the experience of getting to and playing at the top level. On the down side, we have a relatively old team that needs refreshing with youth so yes we do need some new additions but preferably players with less miles on the clock. And as Rjk says, we are not alone in this quest.

We could be a playoff side every year and never make it out. We need to build towards being a top 2 team that can cause problems for anyone. I still think it's a two year project.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    We could be a playoff side every year and never make it out. We need to build towards being a top 2 team that can cause problems for anyone. I still think it's a two year project.
    Totally agree.
    Aiming for top 6 is virtually within everyone’s grasp in the championship.
    If I am being honest, for us to be 3 points off play off’s with the team we have and the quality of football we have played, shows how poor the championship is.
    Yes, it is a minefield to get out but the gulf between the top championship sides and the lower premiership is enormous.

We need a professional 3 year plan including the development of youth etc..
    As has been said in the thread, our recruitment has been very poor and I am unsure if that will improve soon.

Tan, Choo and Dalmatia need to understand that their combined football knowledge would struggle to fit a matchbox and Harris has no experience outside of taking average players at a struggling low side and simply maintaining championship status.

We need more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    With one or two additions and getting rid of the surplus , I would have us down as a play off side next season

This season we are still in with a chance but it will be no failure if we dont make it

Come on city
    We could continue as we have been going, and maybe be lucky and get a third brief stint in the top division. Which nobody would be complaining about.

However, if we want more sustained success I think we need to look at some more fundamental changes.
    We don't look likely to shit the bed with Harris in charge, so the relative stability (hopefully) should allow us to look at the bigger picture.
    Perhaps we are doing this already to a degree with the rumour and hearsay about the academy etc.
    In my opinion we need to put a modern structure in place, director of football etc.

There are many different ways that is being implemented at the moment, so firstly I would review what all the best teams are doing and generate a blueprint for what our ideal setup should be - then put it into place.