+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Brian Murphy

Brian Murphy

ATB Murph.

Re: Brian Murphy heading home

Must be a strange life as a senior 3rd choice keeper. Don't really see need for one myself. Better off just doing a player coach or using youngsters.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Must be a strange life as a senior 3rd choice keeper. Don't really see need for one myself. Better off just doing a player coach or using youngsters.
    Definitely don’t need a 3rd or 4th choice keeper as Murphy was as you can get a keeper on an emergency loan if required. Murphy was just a mate of Warnock’s, how many games did he play in 4 years? We’re down to two Senior Keepers with Harris, £20k per week saved!

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Definitely don’t need a 3rd or 4th choice keeper as Murphy was as you can get a keeper on an emergency loan if required. Murphy was just a mate of Warnock’s, how many games did he play in 4 years? We’re down to two Senior Keepers with Harris, £20k per week saved!
    I agree with that, but whenever Murphy was needed to play he performed very well. He also seems to have been a very popular and supportive squad member - and was mentioned in interviews with other players as one of the good guys. If he was filling an unneeded slot and taking up a wage (surely not a big wage) that isn't his fault. I liked what I saw of him in interviews and his rare appearances on the pitch. Good luck to him at Waterford.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I agree with that, but whenever Murphy was needed to play he performed very well. He also seems to have been a very popular and supportive squad member - and was mentioned in interviews with other players as one of the good guys. If he was filling an unneeded slot and taking up a wage (surely not a big wage) that isn't his fault. I liked what I saw of him in interviews and his rare appearances on the pitch. Good luck to him at Waterford.
    I agree with you. He fulfilled his role as 3rd choice keeper and squad member very well. When he did turn out for us I don’t recall him letting us down. He was hardly a costly option. Extravagance is having 2 keepers of the standard of Smithies and Etheridge on your books at the same time. Cash in on the latter ASAP. Also, what is the justification for calling him a “mate of Warnock”. Their club career doesn’t seem to have coincided. In my view Murphy has left CCFC with his reputation unquestioned which is more than can be said of NW.

Re: Brian Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I agree with you. He fulfilled his role as 3rd choice keeper and squad member very well. When he did turn out for us I don’t recall him letting us down. He was hardly a costly option. Extravagance is having 2 keepers of the standard of Smithies and Etheridge on your books at the same time. Cash in on the latter ASAP. Also, what is the justification for calling him a “mate of Warnock”. Their club career doesn’t seem to have coincided. In my view Murphy has left CCFC with his reputation unquestioned which is more than can be said of NW.
    Yes. I would have had no problem with Murphy being no 2

20k a week saved? Are you constantly pissed?

We probably don't have Murphy here now because he's talked to Harris who may have said something along the lines of he won't be needed next year, so he's decided to go home early.

Could this then be a chance to use Ratcliffe as the third keeper? As has been suggested he could train with us midweek and play out on loan to get match experience, maybe at Barry or possibly higher if he's wanted.

But I doubt we've saved 20k a week

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

We probably don't have Murphy here now because he's talked to Harris who may have said something along the lines of he won't be needed next year, so he's decided to go home early.

Could this then be a chance to use Ratcliffe as the third keeper? As has been suggested he could train with us midweek and play out on loan to get match experience, maybe at Barry or possibly higher if he's wanted.

His short term contract ended in December so he didn't actually go home early.
    Ratcliffe is already on loan at Barry and training with City.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    His short term contract ended in December so he didn't actually go home early.
    Ratcliffe is already on loan at Barry and training with City.
    I know where he's on loan, hence suggesting Barry, or somewhere at a higher level if he's wanted. My understanding is he's with Barry all week, what Bob suggested and I'd been thinking, was he would be better off training with us all week and playing games for them at the weekend.

My post also said "maybe" in regards to Murphy, I was speculating as I wasn't sure.

Do you think Brian Murphy was on 20k a week?!

I know where he's on loan, hence suggesting Barry, or somewhere at a higher level if he's wanted. My understanding is he's with Barry all week, what Bob suggested and I'd been thinking, was he would be better off training with us all week and playing games for them at the weekend.

My post also said "maybe" in regards to Murphy, I was speculating as I wasn't sure.
    He seems to be on the bench most weeks for Barry so unfortunately I'm not sure how much good the loan is doing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    He seems to be on the bench most weeks for Barry so unfortunately I'm not sure how much good the loan is doing him.
    Is he really. Honestly wasn't aware of that. Might as well be back here then

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Do you think Brian Murphy was on 20k a week?!
    You didn’t read my post! I said we probably saved £20/ week getting two keepers off our books that’s Joe Day and Murphy. Warnock had 4 Senior keepers when he was in charge and loaned out our best Academy player to Barry Town, does that make sense to you!

I don’t drink so it’s probably you that’s pissed? Read my post again and you may understand!

I don’t drink so it’s probably you that’s pissed? Read my post again and you may understand!
    My bad I alway skim read your posts as you remind me of Annie

You didn’t read my post! I said we probably saved £20/ week getting two keepers off our books that’s Joe Day and Murphy. Warnock had 4 Senior keepers when he was in charge and loaned out our best Academy player to Barry Town, does that make sense to you!
    No way were the pair of them on a combined £20k a week.

Soccer souls.com states the average salary of a Championship player is £10,998/week! Ridiculous I know but FACT!

Tenner each a week sounds about right then

Soccer souls.com states the average salary of a Championship player is £10,998/week! Ridiculous I know but FACT!
    Yes because some are on 30, 40 grand

It's definitely not a fact, our two back up keepers would have been on nowhere near that. I'd be shocked if between them they were on 10 grand a week.

According to some sources Joe Day £3k a week, Brian Murphy £1k a week. Seems much more realistic to me.