+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City fan zone

Cardiff City fan zone

Just had an email from the club, saying they are looking to set up their own fan zone. Anyone with any more info on it? I recently did a tour of the Etihad and apparently theirs is very popular before the game. Mind you, their food and drink prices are far better than ours!

Re: Cardiff City fan zone

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Just had an email from the club, saying they are looking to set up their own fan zone. Anyone with any more info on it? I recently did a tour of the Etihad and apparently theirs is very popular before the game. Mind you, their food and drink prices are far better than ours!
    What is a fan zone-Is it something that is set up outside the stadium that has entertainment, drink and food?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    What is a fan zone-Is it something that is set up outside the stadium that has entertainment, drink and food?
    Judging by the questions in the survey that email asked the recipient to fill in, yes.

With a fan zone at least the money goes to the club rather than MacDonalds,Greggs,KFC’s,SandMartin,Costa etc. What do these multi nationals give the club? They make a fortune on match days?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yes. The pre match experience has been quite poor since the demise of the Bob bank village.

I’ve often wondered why football clubs don’t built big Wetherspoons-esque pubs right outside the grounds and only open on matchdays. Surely they’d be profitable?

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    I’ve often wondered why football clubs don’t built big Wetherspoons-esque pubs right outside the grounds and only open on matchdays. Surely they’d be profitable?
    Not sure they would in some cases - you may need to rent the land for was is effect 20 days revenue earning days.

Cardiff may fare better as they own ( I think ) big chunks of the land surrounding the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Not sure they would in some cases - you may need to rent the land for was is effect 20 days revenue earning days.

Cardiff may fare better as they own ( I think ) big chunks of the land surrounding the stadium.
    Weren’t they going to build a Hotel at one time like many other Stadiums?

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    With a fan zone at least the money goes to the club rather than MacDonalds,Greggs,KFC’s,SandMartin,Costa etc. What do these multi nationals give the club? They make a fortune on match days?
    Isn't it the council or whoever owns land so they don't have to give the club anything. Gives the fans a lot more choice. I do wonder if club shop makes any profit during the week

Are we still in the contract with compass? If so, would this not sit outside of that agreement and give us the opportunity to make more from food and drink sales on a match day?

That pub by the ground, can’t think of its name, is a disgrace. Should have been called The Bluebird, filled with memorabilia and absolutely jumping on match days.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    That pub by the ground, can’t think of its name, is a disgrace. Should have been called The Bluebird, filled with memorabilia and absolutely jumping on match days.
    Sandmartin, went in once. Shite chain pub with shite microwavable food.

Rememebr at Ipswich away a couple seasons ago that they had a fan zone. Lots of craft beer sellers and food stalls, very 21st century football fan! But it was packed out when I walked past so must have been doing well.

If you chuck a band in, bit of merch, plenty of people serving decent beer and food then can't see why it wouldn't generate money for the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    ditto.
    Can only get a drink if you have a sit-down meal when City are at home - "due to licencing restrictions"

However, it is rammed with standing drinkers on Wales days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometown Unicorn! View Post
    Rememebr at Ipswich away a couple seasons ago that they had a fan zone. Lots of craft beer sellers and food stalls, very 21st century football fan! But it was packed out when I walked past so must have been doing well.

If you chuck a band in, bit of merch, plenty of people serving decent beer and food then can't see why it wouldn't generate money for the club.
    ...and there's the catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Weren’t they going to build a Hotel at one time like many other Stadiums?
    Wasn't the hotel going to be where Lidl is?

Agreed, our fans should boycott it until it changes its name!

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    We went in there for lunch before one match last season. It was awful.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Wasn't the hotel going to be where Lidl is?
    Correct

What’s the rule in the Sandmartin on watching international rugby? Do you still have to eat?

This has been one the suggestions that the Trust has been having with the club for some time. The idea is to have a fans area in the car park near the memorial gates so both sets of fans can mix and mingle in a friendly atmosphere before games over a couple of drinks and a bite to eat. The plan is to also have a small area for the kids to play football on. Originally we hoped it would be up and running for the Easter fixtures but if it can be trialled successfully for a few games at the end of the season it can become a permanent match day facility for next

Wouldn't Fleece Zone be a more appropriate name?

An opportunity to sell grossly overpriced grog and grub to those with more money than common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Since62 View Post
    This has been one the suggestions that the Trust has been having with the club for some time. The idea is to have a fans area in the car park near the memorial gates so both sets of fans can mix and mingle in a friendly atmosphere before games over a couple of drinks and a bite to eat. The plan is to also have a small area for the kids to play football on. Originally we hoped it would be up and running for the Easter fixtures but if it can be trialled successfully for a few games at the end of the season it can become a permanent match day facility for next
    Sounds fantastic, with the obvious caveat that weather would restrict it's use to about 8 games per year.

I tried to go in the Sand Martin for a pint with my wife before a home game & was turned away by the bouncers.
    We were both in our mid fifties & neither of us was wearing any club colours & when I asked the bouncer why we couldn"t come in I was told "we don"t have to give a reason".
    Doesn"t sound like we missed anything.